The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:03:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350679 Posts in 28572 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Alaska Blue 72
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alaska Blue 72  (Read 2513 times)
Rob E

« on: June 14, 2019, 14:48:00 pm »

Bought this Oct 72 produced beetle, purchased originally from Ashwell in Rutland.

It has all the paperwork inc original bill of sale. It was found by Ron Wilson in the 90's as a low mileage car with only 40k miles on the clock- probably hasn't done more then 80k now, but the speedo has been changed, so showing the incorrect mileage.

Then in the late 90's it was bought by Adrian Williams from Birmingham, and he added a lot of empi goodies, inc the GTV C-strie kit. It was then featured on the cover of total vw magazine in Feb 2000.

He kept it for ten years or so, and then the history gets a bit hazy- it was later found for sale on ebay as a shell and floorpan as separate auctions.

Story goes, that Adrian had invested a lot of time and money adding a big motor, air suspension etc, and wanted his money back when he sold it- so broke it!

I purchased it off a really nice bloke, Nigel from Coventry who was the guy who managed to get it back on the road.  This is when I bought it, and plan on putting it back as it was.

The paint under the bonnet, decklid and in the interior is all good, so the car will get an exterior repaint in the original Alaska Blue (as someone has painted it camo green with a roller!)

As it was in the 90's

When Adrian Williams Empi GTV'ed it

total Vw feature

Original paperwork

As I saw it advertised

As featured in Total VW

looked like this when i bought it
Rob E

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 14:52:01 pm »

The car now has a detailed stock 1300cc AB code engine.  Detailed OG sprintstars with XZX tyres.

Interior has had the correct grey perlon carpet fitted, and ive repainted and recovered the seats.

All the suspension and brakes have been gone through, and im just about to fire up the motor.

next task is to sand off all that green paint and get it to the paintshop.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Rob E

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 14:55:42 pm »

Garrick Clark

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 20:04:52 pm »

Looks like a marathon beetle to me. Same colour but missing the marathon wheels.

Air cooled Engine builder
Rob E

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 22:38:06 pm »

Nope, marathon blue is lighter. I have the birth certificate that states it’s Alaska blue  Cool
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: