The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 23:45:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Boss Hoggs EBI 8 Trip.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Boss Hoggs EBI 8 Trip.  (Read 4971 times)
BossHogg76

« on: July 05, 2019, 08:59:57 am »

Well this years show tale, is of one fat Geordie heading to European Bug In. If you read last years tortuous tale of my trip to Le Bug Show or that quickly forgotten tale to Brussels for the 50th anniversary show, well done, this one could be just as boring.

So with a month to go, I did what every sensible car owner would do, do some upgrades. So it was off to Daz Chandlers with a CSP rear brake kit, possibly the most expensive way of solving an oil leak from the outer bearing housing, but anyway it had to be done. It took some work by Daz, which also involved a return trip to rotate the calipers so that the driver (lhd) caliper didn’t foul the Z bar linkage housing (See pics for detail). But it was sorted and I have to thank Daz as he shoehorned the remedial work in just before his holiday. I also had a set of OG Sprintstars to have refurbished and fitted, big thanks to Dave Ward for sorting this out.

The next bit was sorting a tent, last years trip proved that I still hate camping, but I thought a larger tent would solve it, I think I over did it…comments were made that I could fit the bug in it with me.

So the day rolled round to head out, we had decided to leave early and with Hans racing, we could get there on Thursday and set up. Pete (Flatfire) drove down on the Wednesday from Scotland, the plan being we would have a some lunch, drive the 15 mins from my house to the ferry and have a few drinks on the 15-hour cruise across the North Sea. The first problem was when Pete noticed that his car keys weren’t in his pocket, and after a quick search were in the ignition of his bug….and the doors were locked. So began a 2-hour appreciation on how well Pete had put his one-piece windows and seals together. Eventually my mate and neighbour Dave came round with the vital length of wire coat hanger (do you know how rare wire coat hangers now are?) and after some fishing through the tiny gap at the top of the window the door was opened.

Pete, Heather and I headed to the ferry and celebrated with one maybe two Heinekens.  Next morning we arrived in Ijmuiden and it was a quick hours drive to meet up with Hans, Dennis, Eddie, JP near Rotterdam. We headed off and Hans led the charge, making sure his clubs name (Der Volgas Kruisers) was lived up to. The Belgium border came and went, the Belgium truck drivers were their usual mental selves, with a few near crushes happening. Antwerps’ ever-present traffic  jams checked everyones’ clutches and engines cooling abilities but we got past and headed to Kurts. The hospitality shown by Kurt and the Flatline Lowriders was amazing, I’d love to show you what their club house looks like, but the host makes the rules, and I’d love to return one day.  So suffice to say the place was amazing as was the food and hospitality.

The next bit was the 2-hour blast to Chimay, easy yeah? Well it is unless you get split up and have to google maps your way to the show. I had a great if slightly lonely drive, the Belgium countryside was stunning, and they do indeed have impressive cattle at Charolais. As it happened I arrived 5 mins before the main group, tents were put up, we met Roy and Marga (I hope I’ve spelt that correctly) and the line up next to the tents was quite good I thought. After the first of many BBQs we had a walk around the pits and took in a few beers.

Friday was an exceptional day, a walk round the site on Friday and already there were some exceptional cars arriving of all flavours including the Mach 1 beetles. The main attraction though was seeing “The One” , hats off to Russell for the vision, and everyone behind that project. There will be many more stories from people much closer to this endeavour, but from a show punter, “The One” and the Cal Look Museum were a highlight of the show.

<insert pics>

Well that was until I headed to the track and there was the Gasser Garage guys with Tar Babe, Inch Pincher and Bad Company. I’ll let the pics do the talking, but the cars and people who go to this level make the trips so worthwhile. Well that and watching Kevs gingerness suffer under the 34c heat  Grin.

https://youtu.be/HsomAPdMayY

Hans ripped it down the track, was good vibes seeing my mate go for it
https://youtu.be/UFNcG0AJYVA

Watching Dyno Don, the great and the good of the Cal look world do their thing was awesome. With out getting too sycophantic it was great to be there to see it all. It was back to the tent, BBQ and then a walk around the pits, and a few beers…just to be sociable.  That ends it for this post as I didn’t realise how many photos I had to trawl through and prepare for this and I’m in need of a coffee.

They’ll be more later….tune in for tales of no gears, and a fat lad sweating in the sun.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:18:53 am by BossHogg76 » Logged
CrossFit_Pete

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 10:12:47 am »

Great write up  Smiley
BossHogg76

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 17:52:03 pm »

Saturday started with a hangover urrghh. I had been suffering with gear change problems on the drive down, and decided it was clutch related so adjusted the cable, this was to bite me in the arse later. Pete and I drove down parked up did some polishing, which with all the dust was pointless but I felt I was one of the crowd ☺. We had a walk around, the French Flavors guys and DNF had cars on display along with many others, enjoy the pics.

Through out the day the temps rose and rose, Jeremy turned up in his oval, Wim in his 67 and soon were part of the campsite, along with Michelle and a few others. More wandering around the site happened, taking in the sights and trying to keep hydrated as the temperatures rose.  When it came to pick my 67 up from the show area, I suddenly found that I had no gears, I could get them all with the motor turned off, but as soon as it was fired up I could get nothing. Honestly there was no panic. Eventually Pete noticed the gear stick was loose, and after some pondering and a singed forearm, I took the adjustment back off the clutch cable and yay I had gears again. Another BBQ rounded off the day, a few beers, some craic, some more pics.

Sunday was quite a quick one, down to the burn out box for Wims 67 Cal Look line up, then it was packing and time to head to Rotterdam, an uneventful drive for once and with everyone utterly knackered we went our separate ways. As with my last two adventures, whilst the cars and the shows were awesome, the people really made it. “You know easy going Cal Look Kind of guys”. The Bug did around 750-800 miles with no hitches, well the only hitch was owner induced.  Roll Eyes

The final touch was a visit to Volksrepairs, then some herring at Ijmuiden whilst waiting for the ferry back to the toon.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 17:54:10 pm by BossHogg76 » Logged
richie

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 19:39:02 pm »

Excellent report Rob, cool cars and lots of fun by sound of it, all only spoilt by that plate of Seagull food at the end!  Shocked Grin

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
BossHogg76

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 05:53:36 am »

Excellent report Rob, cool cars and lots of fun by sound of it, all only spoilt by that plate of Seagull food at the end!  Shocked Grin

It was a cracking trip, oi that plate of seagull food was about as healthy as I got for the week away.  Grin
Dan Ahrendt

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 06:26:14 am »

Thanks for your ebi report and was nice to meet you at 67 line up  Wink Best regards Dan

BossHogg76

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 08:09:45 am »

Hi Dan great to meet you on the Sunday, hope you had a good tike as well. Thanks for the lovely pics
Bryan67

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 17:30:12 pm »

Wow... I wish I was there

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Eddie DVK

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 12:28:00 pm »

Rob cool write up.
Nice to meet you and Pete.

Excellent report Rob, cool cars and lots of fun by sound of it, all only spoilt by that plate of Seagull food at the end!  Shocked Grin

Noooo Richie we call it Dutch sushi  Grin, everybody loves sushi Wink

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 21:14:26 pm »

I went with my 5 years old son. He's hooked on drag racing stuff now  Grin He cried when the lady with the yellow bug crashed on Saturday.
Been a while I didn't attempt a VW show, and this one really raise the level!
flatfire

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 09:55:09 am »

What a fantastic write up Rob, we couldn't have asked for a better weekend. I could feel a fantastic vibe as soon as we met up with the Der Volgas Kruisers. Charging through Holland and Belgium was great fun. Stopping by the Flatline Lowriders hideout was a true marker for the rest of the weekend. I don't suffer from jealousy until I walked in to their place. What a welcome, would you like a beer? Smiley We have food in the garden at the back for you. What an effort. Thank you. Even going to the toilet was amazing Grin
As for the show, everything I could ask for.
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 21:53:03 pm »

Good story my friend,nice te meet you again.
Gutenmorgen,LOL.

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
Duck

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 22:04:23 pm »

As discussed last weekend - I’m up for the next one in the ghia if you’re going 👍
jerem56

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 20:19:17 pm »

Thanks Rob for that story, always a pleasure to read your adventure ^^
Was great to meet you after many years knowing us "virtually"!
Nice to meet Pete, Heather too and the rest of the band.
A lot of nice cars in our campsite, and probably the unique cal look lineup in the camping  Cheesy
That was a crazy week-end and I hope that for the next edition I could stay during the 3 days.
Thanks for those nice pictures that resume perfectly everything 🤙🏻
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 19:28:31 pm by jerem56 » Logged
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 13:11:18 pm »

Great report thank you !

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: