The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:52:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  69 Vert and other projects
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 69 Vert and other projects  (Read 6088 times)
Wray

« on: August 04, 2019, 19:03:53 pm »

Not being one to post much i thought i'd start a thread on my 69 vert,i bought this around 20 months ago from Bill Rogers, car was collected from Clyde Bergs shop by Ritchie and Jo (Thanks) and Dropped at shippers.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:13:31 am by Wray » Logged
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 10:04:09 am »

seeing Richie next to a yellow cab is like saying macaroni and cheese  Grin Grin Grin Grin

this can be a very nice car and project to do, but you'll have to make a big engine to justify the color.  Wink
bilboa2

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 01:09:00 am »

Wray, good thoughts towards the build. I wanted to do a don metz vert copy. Great start. Your choice. Make it drivable is my thoughts.  68 -70 verts are way cool . this is irs too... rip don metz.   Bill [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 10:39:06 am »

I always liked Don Metz's cab too. Having seen the finished article in the Happenings section, I'm interested now in the journey of how Wray got there.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Wray

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 13:31:15 pm »

Wray, good thoughts towards the build. I wanted to do a don metz vert copy. Great start. Your choice. Make it drivable is my thoughts.  68 -70 verts are way cool . this is irs too... rip don metz.   Bill [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Hi Bill yes its a very good starting point and Don's  vert is stunning.

Wray

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 13:48:49 pm »

Well it arived in the UK very late Decemder 17 , I managed to get it moved from the shippers at london gateway once it had cleared customs to Ritchie and Jo's near peterburgh which made it a couple of days trip from the north to collect this was January 3rd/4th 18 for us Scots thats still hogmanay part time😜, anyway overnight it actually snowed quite heavily around the east midlands I'm sure it was the first time it had seen snow, and it sure made the first 100miles on the way home fun with car on the trailer fortunitly it cleared into a better day up north.
Did think i had one of it on the trailer with snow but unfortunately i don't.
So it now home and the transformation is ready to begin.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:15:16 am by Wray » Logged
Wray

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 14:18:18 pm »

So the first step was to quickly go through it get it MOT'd and registered.
Well that turned out not quite how it went😥
So as i had a bunch of bits gathered for a couple of other projects i raided the stash and it got dropped spindles Porsche drilled disc and drums and basically brakes and steering bits replaced as required, one of the issues we found well Ritchie did when he collected was that at some point it had a press button fitted under dash to start it so once figured out it was fine as it ran, but this didn't last long as to do this it had a hole back and front drilled through the body and a couple of crapy cables run well not sure if this was the reason but the carpet was soaked and the wire were rotten so this was ripped out and the original wiring investigated, so on investigation it was found the boot floor had been cut out and roughly replaced and in doing so the original wire to starter had been damaged once replaced it all worked from the key again.
So at this point it was taken for Mot which it passed so documents were sent of and it was legal in the UK to drive it.
But only if you could get gears and it to run under load🤔
So this is it after its MOT looks like it is now other than no window fitted in rear of hood.
But all the mechanical woes to follow.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:18:07 am by Wray » Logged
Wray

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 20:58:38 pm »

seeing Richie next to a yellow cab is like saying macaroni and cheese  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yes Nicolas he is a bad role model lol, its certainly not going to be in the same league  Grin

this can be a very nice car and project to do, but you'll have to make a big engine to justify the color.  Wink
I always liked Don Metz's cab too. Having seen the finished article in the Happenings section, I'm interested now in the journey of how Wray got there.

its been an odd journey as the plan was to do a bit and just run and have fun certainly didn't expect what happened next.

Wray

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 15:11:09 pm »

So having got the car onto the UK system the quick plan was to run it as it was but that went out the window, having taken it for its MOT on a trailer it highlighted a couple of major issues, the first being virtually impossible to select gears, the second once running under load it, it just seemed like the engine lost all power.

So on investigating the gear select issue and changing the coupling and fitting a vintage speed handle thinking this would solve the problem it was a little worrying that it made no improvement so a bit of head scratching and digging out another gearbox and checking it was decided it needed pulled, luckily the engine was going to get pulled and swapped anyway.

So having pulled the box and sat it next to one of the spares i have it was found that the nose cone bush for the selector rod had excessive play that and a few little differences between the boxes and the fact that all the bits required are available it was decided to repair the original box, now its back together its certianly better.

So onto the easy bit replacing the engine this i have had for twenty years had it built for my bay van but never used it so it was went through by Ritchie just to check everything was good, spec's is 1835 with a 110 cam i seem to recall its new 044 heads which were hemi cut? Built round a wasser boxer crank.
Topped out with 44's and exhaust.

So this ended up being done over the winter in between a us 67 project and a shed move which is never a good thing for a hoarder, plan was to have it out on the first local run of the year at the end of April but that deadline got missed due to job away down in Hartlepool, then when i got back there was a load of things to organize for Volksfling, then chasing around for Gasser garage stuff for EBi so i finally got around to fixing the wiring as it was changed to an alternator fitting a kill switch, electric fuel pump and hidden switch for it and took it for a test drive to a local car show around 14 miles away in July.
original engine

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 22:13:36 pm by Wray » Logged
Wray

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 15:45:36 pm »

One other job that was done and a big thanks to KevD on here and Billy  was to fit the rear window into the hood as it had never been done after cutting the hood and stapeling it up, fitting the glass was real fun three pairs of hands and several attempts and many choice curse words it was in and looking good.

Seems we picked the right window as there was three in wrapped up in the car when it arrived having measured them and checked size references i think the oter two are for a 1303.

The interesting bit was what they were wrapped up in.

The other small job with the hood/ body was to get it to line up a little better so the rear body mounts were unbolted and new rubber pads made and fitted.

baz

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 08:39:12 am »

Great looking car, something right about yukon yellow cabs on gas burners  Cool

I will prevail.
Wray

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 16:29:01 pm »

Great looking car, something right about yukon yellow cabs on gas burners  Cool

yes it does look just right, it was just lucky that I had picked up a set of repro's GB and had the right drilled disc's and drum's around for another project Grin
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 16:34:11 pm by Wray » Logged
Wray

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 18:20:07 pm »

I thought I'd add a couple of other cars I'm currently working on these have ended up being longer projects probably due to myself being unable resist a good deal 😱

I've been slowly progressing with a early 70's late looker based on a uk RHD 1200, bought the car off KevD on here way back in the early 00's, body is off pan and been painted but needs some rework, been focused on pan recently so its progressing.

Wray

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 19:05:26 pm »

The 2nd project is a US spec lotus white 67 it was supposed to be a quick fix that turned into a little bit bigger job, what started out as a repair to battery tray are and to rear bottom plate of heating channel ended up being complete bottom plate of heating channel and some minor repairs around each end also both pan halfs one full and the other the rear replaced and also a boot floor looks like the rear window rubber had been leaking for a long time  was going to just paint the parts required but will see.

FredH17

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 13:41:55 pm »

Nice project going on !!

Like the Vert and the color on it, not a great fan of the headlights (my humble opinion  Grin ), but love the Gasburners..

Keep us posted !
Wray

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 20:36:36 pm »

Well had some garage time lately.

Stripped and replaced all the rear bushes on the vert, it's all back together again.

Also today stripped the old vert engine of yellow paint and dodgy chrome tinware.

Before and after pictures.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: