The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:09:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Let's talk shifters!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Let's talk shifters!  (Read 9434 times)
Glauco

« on: August 16, 2019, 12:02:12 pm »

Ok,

So I've made the first 1000km's in the karmann and I just can't get used of how the Gene Berg shifter sits in the karmann. It's just to far to reach third gear, so I'm on the look for alternatives..
I love the look of the empi/flat4 eliminator shifter, but I understand they're not the best choice. I also love the Hurst shifters, they seem to be good.
Or maybe a newer shifter like a high-tech or csp, but I would like to keep it more or less period correct...

What would be a good shifter for a karmann?

Glauco
Flc

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 14:49:36 pm »

I'd say the Hurst, I've had various copy, empi/jsc and they have all been exceptionally good and easy to reach
I'm currently looking to try the empi billet shifter , heard good things about them,  but keeping the jsc Hurst copy just in case
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 14:59:28 pm by Flc » Logged
Sam K

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 16:21:02 pm »

If I remember right, you can order a berg shifter with an extra curve.
andrewlandon67

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 18:16:47 pm »

Ok,

So I've made the first 1000km's in the karmann and I just can't get used of how the Gene Berg shifter sits in the karmann. It's just to far to reach third gear, so I'm on the look for alternatives..
I love the look of the empi/flat4 eliminator shifter, but I understand they're not the best choice. I also love the Hurst shifters, they seem to be good.
Or maybe a newer shifter like a high-tech or csp, but I would like to keep it more or less period correct...

Glauco

By high-tech, do you mean Bug Tech like they sell on the Hayburner website? I've thought about going to one of those too, but the money's a bit too much, plus I'm pretty happy with my traditional Berg shifter.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Glauco

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 19:10:53 pm »

Ok,

Glauco

By high-tech, do you mean Bug Tech like they sell on the Hayburner website? I've thought about going to one of those too, but the money's a bit too much, plus I'm pretty happy with my traditional Berg shifter.

Haha, bug-tech indeed. Damn autocorrect!  Lips Sealed
Indeed, the money is too much...
I really love how my gene Berg shifter shifts, it just sits to far away from me.
andrewlandon67

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 20:07:39 pm »

Ok,

Glauco

Haha, bug-tech indeed. Damn autocorrect!  Lips Sealed
Indeed, the money is too much...
I really love how my gene Berg shifter shifts, it just sits to far away from me.

That's fair, I always feel weird shifting in a Ghia, it's so far away and you sit so much lower than in a Bug. I'd say you should ask your VW compatriots if they have any shifters you could try out in your car for a day or two, maybe something a little more left-field than just a Hurst or Berg might suit you better.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 10:46:10 am »

Depends how tall you are - I'm 1.75m but I've got short legs so I didn't find the shifter a stretch in my '71 Ghia. It was a Bugpack copy of a Berg one, but later (' 68-on) cars had the shifter further back anyway. I've got a Scat Dragfast in my Beetle and I really don't like it but I can't find my Berg one...

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Glauco

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 12:12:36 pm »

Depends how tall you are - I'm 1.75m but I've got short legs so I didn't find the shifter a stretch in my '71 Ghia. It was a Bugpack copy of a Berg one, but later (' 68-on) cars had the shifter further back anyway. I've got a Scat Dragfast in my Beetle and I really don't like it but I can't find my Berg one...

I'm 1.78, so not bigger than you. It's not that I have to crawl out of my seat to reach third, but it sits 5cm to far away from me to shift comfortably.. the problem was indeed solved on the later chassis.
I'm leaning towards the Hurts for now, they should be a better fit for the karmann. Or a newer 14" Berg..
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 12:25:08 pm »

I'm 1.78, so not bigger than you. It's not that I have to crawl out of my seat to reach third, but it sits 5cm to far away from me to shift comfortably.. the problem was indeed solved on the later chassis.
I'm leaning towards the Hurts for now, they should be a better fit for the karmann. Or a newer 14" Berg..

I like my hurst... the curved one sits right where I want it to. the berg angled but short throw also works... for cruising and ease the hurst is best of what I have used. the berg will be better in a 'race-mode' car.
Bryan67

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 16:54:13 pm »

Try a Berg 6710EB. It`s a 10" shifter with extra bend it.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
cel

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 19:51:22 pm »

Hi!

I think im gonna change my 60% short handle berg for the same reasons (i need to lean to much forwards to shift)

Some time ago i found these shifters:

https://www.vw-bus-beetle-shop.com/pages/leviers-vitesses-pour-coccinelle-et-derives.html

They look good quality and are quite cheap compared to the bug-tec shifter.

Does somebody have one of these installed in their bug?

regards
Glauco

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 12:37:19 pm »

Hi!

I think im gonna change my 60% short handle berg for the same reasons (i need to lean to much forwards to shift)

https://www.vw-bus-beetle-shop.com/pages/leviers-vitesses-pour-coccinelle-et-derives.html

regards

Never seen this before, but they appear to be good. Maybe you should give it a try and let us know how good it is   Grin
Glauco

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 12:39:15 pm »

Try a Berg 6710EB. It`s a 10" shifter with extra bend it.
That could be a good option, thank you!
cel

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 14:29:30 pm »

Hi!

regards

Never seen this before, but they appear to be good. Maybe you should give it a try and let us know how good it is   Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Glauco

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 15:43:02 pm »

I ended up buying a Hurst shifter because I got a good deal on when and i had the opportunity to sell the Berg tons friend.
So I can't wait to get the shofter and give it a try..  Grin

Glauco
Baz54

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 18:14:20 pm »

Hi, I know I'm a bit late but I had the same problem on my bug,I just couldn't get on with the T shift of the Berg.
I went for the Vintage Speed traditional shifter with the bend like a 64 and I find it really good.
Paul
Glauco

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 18:53:42 pm »

Hi, I know I'm a bit late but I had the same problem on my bug,I just couldn't get on with the T shift of the Berg.
I went for the Vintage Speed traditional shifter with the bend like a 64 and I find it really good.
Paul
Those look pretty cool. Might have been an option as well. Do they have a reduced thuis?
vwhelmot

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 20:43:50 pm »

Relocate the shifter 2.5 inches back and fit a CAE shifter. Better than any Berg or similar gearstick.
pupjoint

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 21:00:33 pm »

i have always preferred a ball handle shifter. i was ok with the finger grip Berg handle but the problem they never made a 'proper' RHD handle.

i went with Hurst and more recently a VS shifter with the 50mm ball handle and subaru style reverse. smoothest shifter i ever used for a street car.

the Berg may be bomb proof, but i find it 'too much' for a street car.  they came out with the ball handle but i find the ball size a bit too big to be comfortable.

Karlos99

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2019, 21:43:38 pm »

In my bay bus over the years I’ve had an Empi hurst, a CSP and now got an original style Berg. Empi was great for the money, the CSP worked perfectly and the build quality was outstanding but I felt it sat too high, level with the steering wheel. The Berg is by far the best, in my opinion of course. I also have a Berg in my bug which again is great.

Fitted a Bugtech to a customers bus recently and for the money I’m not impressed at all tbh  Undecided Really don’t see the hype.

Best I’ve used are deffo Berg & CSP
UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 22:01:22 pm »

Used to have a Berg T shift and loved it.

Got a Bug tech as I fancied a change and sold it to buy a Berg ball shift  Roll Eyes.

1967 1200 2920cc EFI
Glauco

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 08:28:19 am »

Used to have a Berg T shift and loved it.

Got a Bug tech as I fancied a change and sold it to buy a Berg ball shift  Roll Eyes.

I sold my berg shifter to a friend. I never had any complaints about how it shifted, I truly believe it was the best I ever had.
Might go for a longer berg in the future, but for now I bought a hurst shifter cheap, but it needs a little tlc so I ordered a empi copy for parts. for the time being I installed the empi to get used to the feeling.
I can't say it is as good as the berg. Not even close, but I wasn't expecting this from a €60 shifter. That said, my first shifter was a empi shifter with T-handle and that was a realy good shifter, considering the price.
The hurst arrived today at my parents place so I'll try to collect it tomorrow and make that one work.
The ball on the shifter is a little to big for my tiny hands so I'm experimenting on the latte to make some wooden balls like the porsche 908 and 917. The hurst trigger shifter comes with a T-handle so I have some options to chose from.

Bryan67

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 20:21:56 pm »

I sold my berg shifter to a friend. I never had any complaints about how it shifted, I truly believe it was the best I ever had.
Might go for a longer berg in the future, but for now I bought a hurst shifter cheap, but it needs a little tlc so I ordered a empi copy for parts. for the time being I installed the empi to get used to the feeling.
I can't say it is as good as the berg. Not even close, but I wasn't expecting this from a €60 shifter. That said, my first shifter was a empi shifter with T-handle and that was a realy good shifter, considering the price.
The hurst arrived today at my parents place so I'll try to collect it tomorrow and make that one work.
The ball on the shifter is a little to big for my tiny hands so I'm experimenting on the latte to make some wooden balls like the porsche 908 and 917. The hurst trigger shifter comes with a T-handle so I have some options to chose from.

In case you didn't know, EMPI sells the shifter base, knob, and boot separately

[/quote]

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
ovaldriver56

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 21:18:03 pm »

Love my Bug-Tech shifter.

They also do a bent version.

Glauco

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 05:46:47 am »

In case you didn't know, EMPI sells the shifter base, knob, and boot separately

[/quote]

I know, but not that cheap in Belgium... Roll Eyes
BugBusBuggy

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2019, 15:19:59 pm »

Love my Bug-Tech shifter.

They also do a bent version.

Sorry for the slight hijack, but what are those seats?
Thanks,
Dave.

If it breaks (and it probably will).... it's time for an upgrade...
ovaldriver56

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2019, 20:28:00 pm »

Hi Dave,

those are Recaro Rallye 2 seats

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/50-jahre-sportsitz/1974-rallye-ii.html

Regards
Mario
spoolin70

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 11:33:05 am »

While looking for something completely different, I somehow found these :

https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/crc-ss-shifters.html

Anybody tried one ?
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »

i have always preferred a ball handle shifter. i was ok with the finger grip Berg handle but the problem they never made a 'proper' RHD handle.

i went with Hurst and more recently a VS shifter with the 50mm ball handle and subaru style reverse. smoothest shifter i ever used for a street car.

the Berg may be bomb proof, but i find it 'too much' for a street car.  they came out with the ball handle but i find the ball size a bit too big to be comfortable.

I've tried the Berg with a ball handle too, and I hated it me too. It's too big and it feels weird, maybe because I got used to the classic Berg T handle, but i also don't like the look of that huge ball  Grin

If you don't mind about the T handle then the Berg is the greatest piece, maybe a bit too much in some cases but I like it when I want to have a "fun" drive on the small mountain roads here Wink A friend of mine bought a Vintage Speed stock-looking shifter, says it's great but I haven't tried it personally yet so I can't say, they do look great though and fit discreetly with the interior of the car.

TBH I think in a stock car if you want to drive "normally" a quickshift kit mounted on a stock shifter does a great job for the price.

andy198712

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2019, 14:02:56 pm »

While looking for something completely different, I somehow found these :

https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/crc-ss-shifters.html

Anybody tried one ?

so the gated shifter prevents 1st to 4th and 3rd to ...? couldn't get my head around it, seems cool though!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: