The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:40:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Setting ride height with an adjustable beam
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Setting ride height with an adjustable beam  (Read 3811 times)
andy198712

« on: August 26, 2019, 19:04:20 pm »

Hi all,

So I have a narrowed adjustable beam with the standard style adjusters (swayaway style)

Not had one before and wondering how best to set them up. Do you set both to the same adjustment or one offset ect
I tried it as low as it’s goes and with the dropped spindles it’s about 2 inches off the deck.... looked cool but not ideal for a fast road car.
I wound it up as high as it will go (stock) but I want something in between.
I don’t have shocks made or fitted yet.

Cheers
Andy
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 06:55:28 am »

I've always set them the same - the way I look at it, the factory had them set a particular way, all we're doing is rotating round a certain amount.
Having said that, I seem to remember that Richie has them set up differently on the cab that's doing drag week, but that may just be more for racing than street use.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
richie

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 19:26:58 pm »

I
Having said that, I seem to remember that Richie has them set up differently on the cab that's doing drag week, but that may just be more for racing than street use.

I do it on my street stuff as well, makes it more progressive and not so harsh, one effectively takes weight of car then as its compressed at all other starts joining in Wink

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
andy198712

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 20:37:16 pm »

So do you slacken both, then wind up one to get the ride height desired, lock that off, bounce it a bit and then tighten the other one?

Cheers Smiley
richie

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 21:16:21 pm »

Jack it up so wheels are off ground, then lower slowly until they are just touching and tighten upper one up so its locked in place, then lower about 30mm more and lock lower on off, then drop to ground, bounce it so suspension sits and see how it looks, then if needed do same thing slightly higher or lower depending on preference

andy198712

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 21:37:09 pm »

Rodger! I’ll give it a go Smiley
Eddie DVK

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 07:19:11 am »

Jack it up so wheels are off ground, then lower slowly until they are just touching and tighten upper one up so its locked in place, then lower about 30mm more and lock lower on off, then drop to ground, bounce it so suspension sits and see how it looks, then if needed do same thing slightly higher or lower depending on preference

Richie, is this a street set up or strip?
Or this a set up for narrowed beams....the spring leafs are shorter thus stiffer?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 07:47:55 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
andy198712

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 14:35:55 pm »

Just tried it, works a charm, before when I set them the same it seemed harsh and hitting an up limit of such (guessing ball joints)
Now it feels nice and progressive!
Well on the bounce test, can’t drive it yet! May go a tad lower but tbh this is a good driving height at the minute won’t drag the front over every cats eye ect
Thanks Richie Smiley
richie

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 15:48:51 pm »

Or this a set up for narrowed beams....the spring leafs are shorter thus stiffer?

Both, rides better on street when its lowered

Eddie DVK

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 08:33:33 am »

Both, rides better on street when its lowered

Thanks for the tip, will give it a go.

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
andy198712

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 09:11:29 am »

I guess it makes it nice and progressive.

As especially when the beam is shortened which effectively makes the spring rate stiffer.
This method only engages one set of leave at first then as it moves through the travel the other one starts ramping up....

On my simple bounce test it feels that way, can’t wait to drive it! Still need to have some shocks built though!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: