The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 18:08:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  diameter heat exchangers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: diameter heat exchangers  (Read 2651 times)
Steve67

« on: October 18, 2019, 18:03:10 pm »

Heyho,
I need your suggestions.
I am running a classic 1776 with Engle W110, 40 IDF and series valve sizes in my bus.
Currenly it has a 38mm header with series heat exchangers  and a single quiet muffler from CSP.
Next summer I want to tow a small trailer as my family has outgrown the camper. Wink
I would like to get as much heat out of the engine as possbile and the small series heat exchangers are definetely a restrictor in the exhaust system.

Now I have two possibilities:
Run 38 mm j pipes and buy an expensive gas heater. My wife definetely wants a working heating and the lightweight heat exchnagers without aluminum fins are not able to heat the bus.
Or buy 42 mm heat exchangers with aluminum fins, unfortunalty they are not available in 38 mm.

Do you think it is possible tto use the 42 mm heat exchangers without any negative impact on this rather mild engine?
Cheers
Stefan

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:07:47 am by Steve67 » Logged
Andrew

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 10:41:25 am »

Nice bus, to the best of my knowledge, some propex installations don't work well when driving, they are fine parked up.

Would the CSP heat exchangers do the job? Are they the ones you're thinking of?
Steve67

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:40:29 am »

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your reply, The CSP parts do not have aluminum cores, there is a small German company making 42 mm heat exchangers with alumimum fins.
http://www.typ1motor.de/product_info.php?info=p1617_waermetauscher-links-42-mm-mit-alukern.html
Andrew

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 16:48:52 pm »

It wasn't aware the CSP exchangers have lower output than VW originals.

What's the colour on the Bus, by the way?
2much

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 06:05:53 am »

Whilst I don't know what the internal construction of the CSP heat exchangers is, I have been using them over last 2 years and I would say easily same heat output as when I was running stock engine and set up. Is in a Bug though so could make a difference?

In my camper the biggest reduction in heat is from the pipework between heat exchangers and cabin outlet as it's very hot when leaving exchangers but only warm in cabin. Have toyed with idea of further insulation and fan assistance but only ever used in summer plus have a petrol heater for the night time when parked.

I'd suggest that 42mm bore on your set up is probably too large and you will lose some bottom end which isn't ideal on a bus. 38mm is already "big bore" I think and using 42mm heat exchangers with 38mm header would upset the flow balance I would imagine. If you want stock heat output, would be better to go for stock heat exchangers, I think you would notice any impact on performance less than by moving up in bore size at your spec - assuming 1600 c.f. ?
Steve67

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:13:01 am »

hey, thanks for your replys. The engine is 1776 ccm, the numbers were missing in the inital post, sorry.
I think I will try the 38 mm version without aluminum cores and insulate the the pipes as good as possible.

The color is niagara blue L53D and pastel white L90D
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: