The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 15:53:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  1965 Beetle - Late pedal assembly on early pan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1965 Beetle - Late pedal assembly on early pan  (Read 5060 times)
alstare84

« on: October 31, 2019, 11:51:30 am »

Hello to everyone,
sorry if this topic is eventually already discussed. I saw also the other topic of Martin S. but my situation is different.
I also tried to ask on thesamba but so far no answers.

My "problem" is the following... I would like to install a later pedal assembly on my 65 pan. What I understood so far is that I should do a mix of late accelerator parts + early brake/clutch pedals (removing of course the accelerator pedal bracket from the pan).
What I did in the meanwhile was to create a spacer in order to fill the gap between the brake pedal and the assembly. Since the clutch pedal shaft it's too long I need to avoid brake pedal the move left and right because of the play in excess.

It's fine as I've done or there are some other points to be checked/adapted?

In addition, another extra question... Since I have a late gearbox, I should change also the clutch pedal shaft in order to have the correct pedal travel? Since I installed this gearbox (leaving the pedal assembly original) I started to have a chattering clutch. I remember that I read somewhere that also the shaft need to be adapted but I can't find any confirm. I see that there are 3 types of shafts with different hook length.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help

Roberto

"Straights are for Fast Cars... Corners are for Fast Drivers!"

'60 Ragtop L436 Indigo Blue
'65 Sedan L87 Pearl Weiss
Martin S.

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 16:17:20 pm »

Your post would be a head-scratcher for many, but what I can't figure out is this:

"a later pedal assembly on my 65 pan. What I understood so far is that I should do a mix of late accelerator parts + early brake/clutch pedals (removing of course the accelerator pedal bracket from the pan)."

What part of the pedal assembly are you referring to?

If it is the accelerator, then you will be replacing early $hitty parts with later $hitty parts.  Roll Eyes

I have a 65 Beetle too. When a buddy was blowing out his stash of the upgrade kits I bought one for my 71 Bus, my 68 and 65 Beetles.
Haven't done the 65 yet, but definitely will do it and you should do that too.

Here's pics of the kit:

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
alstare84

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 01:02:15 am »

Hi Martin,
firstly thanks for the answer. So far nobody replied neither on thesamba.

Btw, coming back to the topic...
For "pedal assembly" I mean the later accelerator parts (in yellow in the pic) + later clutch pedal shaft + early brake/clutch pedals.

In order to fit the "later accelerator parts" I removed from the pan the old bracket.

Btw tomorrow I should have some time to play with it and I will add some more pics.

Regards

Roberto

alstare84

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 19:50:15 pm »

Maybe it's working...
I still need to reconnect the clutch cable on the gearbox side. If the test drive will be positive, then I will renew all the parts.

Actually I used a 2650mm accelerator cable.

I keep updated the thread.

Regards

Roberto

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: