The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:10:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Deck lid grills and what they do ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Deck lid grills and what they do ?  (Read 3012 times)
george4888

« on: December 03, 2019, 12:04:42 pm »

Do the deck lid grilles on the 1972 Beetle suck in cool air or let hot air out ?  I always thought VW added them to let in more cool air to the engine but someone told me the hot air from the engine compartment is exhausted through the deck lid stock vents ?  Seems to me they only bring in more cool air for the larger engines and larger cooling fan ? What is the air flow going to them, either it sucks in or exhaust hot air ? What is the verdict on this ?  Thanks.
mikko k

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:14:07 pm »

Hot air goes under the car. Grills gets more cool air. And that is why you should use all tin in engine, to separate hot and cool air.
Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 00:10:03 am »

There’s plenty of heat coming out the vents with the turbo under there. But only after I stop. I used to prop the engine lid open to let it out when I got home. Now I have the Jason707 retractable decklid hinges and love how the heat can escape easily when I park.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
WhiteTrash

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 19:01:27 pm »

Do the deck lid grilles on the 1972 Beetle suck in cool air or let hot air out ?  I always thought VW added them to let in more cool air to the engine but someone told me the hot air from the engine compartment is exhausted through the deck lid stock vents ?  Seems to me they only bring in more cool air for the larger engines and larger cooling fan ? What is the air flow going to them, either it sucks in or exhaust hot air ? What is the verdict on this ?  Thanks.

As Mikko K said above, the vents help to get more cool air into the engine bay for the fan to suck it in and blow it out below the engine (and through the heat exchangers if you have a stock exhaust system.
That's the reason why cabrios had them in the engine lids first. They have no air vents below the rear window so need to get the air from somewhere.

HOFF#67

Lotus White '67's are the best!!!
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 19:23:59 pm »

Think about a cabriolet - they have vents in the decklid because they don't have the vents under the rear window. It's the only way to get air into the engine bay.
Adding vents to an already vented system simply allows more air in to bigger carbs and a fan turning at higher rpm. As Mikko says, there should be no hot air that side of the tinwear.

Edit: dammit Frank, I stop for a McDonald's and you go and beat my post!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 19:39:35 pm by Neil Davies » Logged

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Martin S.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 23:44:15 pm »

Unless there's heat coming OUT of those vents, your car is too slow!  Shocked

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
JeeWee

the Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 19:14:40 pm »

There’s plenty of heat coming out the vents with the turbo under there. But only after I stop. I used to prop the engine lid open to let it out when I got home. Now I have the Jason707 retractable decklid hinges and love how the heat can escape easily when I park.

Hi Martin, do you have a picture of the 'Jason707 retractable decklid hinges'? Where are they available?

Thanks in advance!
Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 19:34:16 pm »

Everyone needs these. The only downside is that the spring can’t be used anymore.

https://youtu.be/jjRQb97zrTQ

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: