The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 21:08:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Crankshaft balancing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Crankshaft balancing  (Read 2166 times)
samotorsport

« on: March 23, 2020, 11:42:50 am »

Hey guys , i know that for all out race engines a fine balancing of the crank including flywheel and all the rest of the stuff .
But how about a stock crankshaft , how good or bad is a stock VW crank ?  Anybody ever measured it ?
I am rebuilding the Karmann engine , pretty mild 1600 with 8,5 CR and Scat c35 cam 36 IDF. So max rpm 5500 i guess , no problem for a stock crank , but still I am curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 09:53:51 am »

Balancing the crank will increase life of the main bearings and case. The case will get pounded
out in the main bearing saddles if you don't balance your crank. It's even a problem in stock engines.
More rpm the faster pounding will occur.

/Rolf
samotorsport

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:53:47 am »

Right i got you , my drag engine is done to less than 1 gramm including gears flywheel and so on .
Still it is going to be beat up at 8000 rpm Wink
It is more on , a stock crank , balanced from factory , max rpm 5000 lets say how good or bad is it ? What mileage can be expected before it has beaten up the case so it needs rework ?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: