The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 19:48:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  BRM wheel studs/nuts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BRM wheel studs/nuts  (Read 3559 times)
andrewlandon67

« on: March 30, 2020, 21:53:02 pm »

Ignore my last post about detailing alloys, I'm stupid and have a very hard time making up my mind, but I finally have made a decision and I'm getting a set of Flat-4 BRMs for my '67 this year. One thing I'm curious about is what studs should I use to be able to use locking lug nuts on them? Is there any specific stud length I need?

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Andrew

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 19:49:19 pm »

I'll get a photo of mine, if it helps but they are older versions of those wheels. I suspect they be longer than you think you need.
andrewlandon67

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 20:05:33 pm »

I'll get a photo of mine, if it helps but they are older versions of those wheels. I suspect they be longer than you think you need.

So I contacted CB about it and they gave me some recommendations on which stud/nuts to use and also which locking nuts would work best.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

brewsy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 20:07:16 pm »

Ignore my last post about detailing alloys, I'm stupid and have a very hard time making up my mind, but I finally have made a decision and I'm getting a set of Flat-4 BRMs for my '67 this year. One thing I'm curious about is what studs should I use to be able to use locking lug nuts on them? Is there any specific stud length I need?

NICE!!! :-)

I used these (but Im in the UK)
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/AC601LB117-locking-wheel-bolts-m12x1-5-22mm-set-of-4-tapered.html

BUT as I still run drums allround they had to be shortened
Stephen schmidt

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 17:33:24 pm »

I'm using bolts on my flat 4 BRM's, so need for studs and all that jazz. Makes it simple when I store the car on its stock wheels for the winter.
andrewlandon67

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 18:07:56 pm »

I'm using bolts on my flat 4 BRM's, so need for studs and all that jazz. Makes it simple when I store the car on its stock wheels for the winter.

I'm also hoping to try running my car on slicks once or twice this year, and my local dragstrip requires studs/nuts to be used with slicks.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

andrewlandon67

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 21:11:00 pm »

SOOOOOO I've been digging around online as a way of keeping myself entertained while I count down the hours until I can actually go work on my car, and I seem to have found some conflicting opinions on the subject of threaded vs press-in lug studs... I've seen some people say that thread-in studs are fine for most applications, but others say that they're completely useless and dangerous... I'm having a hard time sorting through the BS and I want to make sure I don't wind up making my car a deathtrap by using the wrong hardware to install my wheels soon. Please help!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

richie

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 07:35:41 am »

If you are even thinking about using slicks then use press in studs on rear, on front screw in studs with some thread lock work fine

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
baz

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 12:28:22 pm »

I had threaded studs in mine and they were junk and gave me all kinds of grief. I switched to verbus press in studs, its not a big job to fit them.

I will prevail.
leec

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 15:32:40 pm »

Agree, press in studs are far superior to the screw in. I had the machine shop spot face the back of the drum so the stud pressed in 100% square to the face of the disc/drum. That also adds a little clearance from the back of the stud to the internals of the brake drum

Lee
andrewlandon67

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 18:04:20 pm »

If you are even thinking about using slicks then use press in studs on rear, on front screw in studs with some thread lock work fine

cheers Richie

Agree, press in studs are far superior to the screw in. I had the machine shop spot face the back of the drum so the stud pressed in 100% square to the face of the disc/drum. That also adds a little clearance from the back of the stud to the internals of the brake drum

Lee

Thanks for the advice! I guess for the time being I'll use what I have and save up for some better press-in studs and nuts to go with them.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: