The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:40:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My Chinchilla '68 beetle.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My Chinchilla '68 beetle.  (Read 3205 times)
BugBusBuggy

« on: May 07, 2020, 09:54:11 am »

So, here's my car....
She started life as a Chinchilla grey 1200 basic back in '68. I've owned her for the last 27 years (yes, 27 years!) or so, and I'd known the car about 6 years before that. She was my first car, and daily driver for about 6 years, but she's been on and off the road for a fair chunk of the last 20 years as a resto company that had her went bust and I was lucky to get her back, albeit in bits, and life kind of got in the way, but she's now back on the road as a rolling resto as I start the interior and improve some bodywork. She's now looking more '67 than '68, with '67 front and rear bodywork and doors and a set of Sprints... still in original Chinchilla grey though  Cool.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Not the best pics, but good enough for starters...Sat on the drive, stock front height (tank was out too)... stock 1584....

Now:
Still stock height rear, but now with a 2" narrowed front, lowered to give that 'head down' stance. Set of blade bumpers to go on already sorted (this weekend's job, along with finishing fitting the exhaust). Paint is really flat, and needs attention in places... but looks good from a distance. Interior is stock, incomplete and pretty shot, so I won't feel too guilty about changing things up...

The 1584 is out as I bought a complete car for a 2276 with twin Dell 48s and Rancho Pro Street Gearbox (with 3.88RP and 0.82 4th).... that in her now so she's pretty nippy when the mood takes... was running  low 14s in RWYB in the other car, but investigation once I'd got it showed really low compression on one cylinder. So low 14s on 3-and-a-bit cylinders!!! Fixed the compression issue (valve seat) and since upgraded to Pertronix ignition, and a CSP Python being fitted.  Deal done on a close ratio Pro-Drag gearbox, just waiting for the lockdown to lift so I can go and collect it  Cool, then it's onto the cage and the interior. Looks more 'nose down' than usual as she's on axle stands at the back while I fit the new exhaust. Once that's done, I'll get her out for some more pics to share. More pics to follow....
Stay safe everyone,
Dave.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:04:42 am by BugBusBuggy » Logged

If it breaks (and it probably will).... it's time for an upgrade...
leec

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 10:11:29 am »

Cool car. Had to double take the pic of it on the driveway. There is a chinchilla grey bug very close to me and for a moment thought it was the same car.

karl h

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 10:45:56 am »

i love chinchilla  Cool

brewsy

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:09:07 pm »

Nice!!

Thats not London by any chance is it?? (desperately looking for a VW mate near me with a garage  Wink )
BugBusBuggy

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 12:11:48 pm »

The '2276' is a bit of an unknown quantity still, as I bought this complete delight of a car for the engine and gearbox:

The previous owner of the motor/carbs/manifolds bought them as a long block, plus the carbs and manifold, and with a bit of detective work at my end, it seems they were imported from the States to the UK in a very nice '65 beetle via Randy Carlson (oldbug.com). The car was sold without the motor, and the owner of the blue car above bought the motor... and then I bought the entire blue car after he decided to emigrate to OZ....
Build cost of the engine apparently in excess of $10k...

I know for sure:
•   Twin 48mm Dellorto DRLA Carburettors
•   42mm CSP Python
•   94mm Mahle barrels and pistons.
•   Full flow oiling with external oil cooler, fan, external filter
•   Pertronix Billet Distributor plus Pertronix Ignition Coil.
•   MSD Electronic Ignition module.
•   Alternator conversion.
•   Facet Electric Fuel Pump.
•   Malpassi Fuel Filter/Regulator.
•   Empi 1.5quart deep sump.

Things from the advert (and won't know for sure till it all comes apart):
•   Rimco machined case
•   82mm crankshaft (believed Scat forged), Longer crank bolt
•   Lightened 8 dowelled flywheel.
•   Sand Seal
•   Total Seal rings (2nd Groove)
•   Clearanced Pistons
•   Webcam 86 custom grind camshaft.
•   Web Lifters
•   Manton Pushrods
•   1:1 solid rocker shafts c/w swivel feet
•   Gene Berg Balanced Fan.
•   Kennedy Stage 1 clutch with Daikin pressure plate.
•   Modified VW cylinder heads (44mm intake valve, 37.5mm exhaust valve), oval ported/polished, match ported to the carb manifolds.

Things I definitely don't know (yet):
•   How well balanced it all is (so keeping the revs sensible), but the advert stated 'machine work by Berg'...so who knows!!!???
•   Actual cam specs
•   What's actually been done to the heads in terms of porting etc
•   Compression ratio
•   Valve springs
•   BHP and torque figures

So, plenty still to do... and more unknowns than knowns yet..

Stay safe!
Dave.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 16:50:16 pm by BugBusBuggy » Logged

BugBusBuggy

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 12:13:05 pm »

Nice!!

Thats not London by any chance is it?? (desperately looking for a VW mate near me with a garage  Wink )
No, 'fraid not.... although the black car came from just outside the M25. I'm up in Merseyside. I think you enquired about one of the exhausts I'm selling?
Cheers,
Dave.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:19:31 pm by BugBusBuggy » Logged

BugBusBuggy

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 19:47:38 pm »

Bitten the bullet, and once travel is less restricted, it's off to Richie for some 'fettling' and to answer some of the unknowns. Can't wait!

The Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 23:15:54 pm »

What's happening with the blue bug?

Cheers

Kurt
BugBusBuggy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 08:22:29 am »

What's happening with the blue bug?

Cheers

Kurt

Long gone I'm afraid Kurt. Bought it for the engine and gearbox that are now in my grey one, then sold the blue one as a rolling project to a guy in Blackpool. It was more solid than it looked, but it needed heater channels and a few other bits, and it was a bit of a patchwork of repair on repair in places. Needed doing properly but probably worth it if you were handy with a welder (which I'm not). Had some MOT though and drove ok. I just didn't have the room, inclination or blessing from the Mrs for another rusty VW.
I spoke to the guy I sold it too a few weeks later and he said that underneath the rattle can paint, then shell was surprisingly good. Quick check shows that it's insured, so I guess it's being used....

The Badger

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 17:56:47 pm »

At least it's being used  Smiley

My Dad's first bug was a 68 chinchilla, so lovely to see yours 👍
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: