The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:22:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Repair Panels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Repair Panels  (Read 1740 times)
andrewlandon67

« on: May 14, 2020, 17:22:54 pm »

So I'm not looking to do anything immediately, but I'm looking into the future of my '67 and it's looking more and more like I'm going to need to do some moderate rust repair before the year is out. The worst areas are the insides of the rear wheel arches, mostly around the body mounts and the mounts for the Z bar. What I'm wondering is if I'm going to need to find someone cutting up a rust-free '67, or does someone out there actually make a proper '67 piece? Everywhere I look there seems to be a replacement panel for -'66 and for '68-'79, but nothing for the '67s... Please help!

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Steve67

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 18:43:19 pm »

I think the inner rear wheel arches on 67 are the same as on 68+ beetles, only the bumpermount itself is a one-year-only part.
I repaired my inner wheel arch with a 68+ part and a 67 bumper bracket an the parts lookes exactly the same as the rusted stuff on my car. At some point after 67 VW changed the style of the weld nuts for the fenders, so if you want to be 100% correct you need to take care oft this detail.
andrewlandon67

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 21:27:51 pm »

I think the inner rear wheel arches on 67 are the same as on 68+ beetles, only the bumpermount itself is a one-year-only part.
I repaired my inner wheel arch with a 68+ part and a 67 bumper bracket an the parts lookes exactly the same as the rusted stuff on my car. At some point after 67 VW changed the style of the weld nuts for the fenders, so if you want to be 100% correct you need to take care oft this detail.

So you didn't have to make any modifications or anything? And which brand of repair panels did you end up using?

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Steve67

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 06:44:35 am »

Hi Andrew,

no modifications were necessary, I was lucky to source NOS VW parts.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: