The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2020, 09:56:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
345127 Posts in 27589 Topics by 6459 Members
Latest Member: GSellner
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Late looker Freddie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Late looker Freddie  (Read 484 times)
Jimbosmith

« on: May 14, 2020, 19:57:11 pm »

Hey everyone, i thought its about time i did a build thread somewhere. Its been a long time since i posted anything of any substance about my car.

So little history, i bought this car when i was 16 (28now) had grown up going to vw shows so i was hooked from a early age. At 16/17 i rebuilt all the mechanical side of the car, Disk Brakes all around, new lines throughout and a narrow beam, then i sent the car off to have some welding done such as floor pans and respray. Once i passed my test i daily drove it for a good few years and spent many days scraping more ice from the inside during winter.  After a few years i gained a company van so the beetle became my weekend toy/project again.  Its been through a lot of different changes in the time i have owned it, including 4 engines,  1300, 1600, 1776 and now the 2276 ready to be installed its now in a rolling resto type stage.   

Heres a early thread from 2008 showing some of my initial progress in case anyone wants to read   https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=434433

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 20:23:44 pm by Jimbosmith » Logged
Jimbosmith

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 20:09:09 pm »

First photo was the car in 2014 at DTA end of season meet, Changes up to this point were a 1776 built by Daz Chandler and the original 4 lug sprintstars

However, big things happened next,  Set of Day moulding fiberglass wings, Tbars and the car is currently stripped right down, ready for a new gearbox being built by John Walklett closer 1-3for the strip and a long 4th, set of Jussi's finish Race axles, and a 2276. Repaint again at some point but budget got spent on speed.

fk8 1.4:1 Ratio Rockers
CR 9.6:1
Lightened Flywheel
SCAT SUPER-D 42 X 37 X 94MM
CB performance 82mm

Installing the Hipacs was my second time ever welding, first being the day before practising on a old wing , I ended up reusing the cut parts to fab up some repair sections to the bumper mount and im pretty happy with how it turned out. Learnt alot
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 20:43:39 pm by Jimbosmith » Logged
Jimbosmith

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 20:22:38 pm »

Lockdown jobs have included

Stripping the complete rear
Changing the window rubbers due to current ones leaking, also replaced the headliner in this time as the old was taty and torn
Redoing the complete front electrics with a Aircooled Auto elec supplied Blade front loom
Welding in the Hipacs, (first ever time i have welded)
fabricated a repair panel for the rear bumper mount using the metal i cut out for the hipacs and welded it in place
Remounting all my gauges
New Shiftrod bush and coupler

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 20:42:16 pm by Jimbosmith » Logged
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 18:38:47 pm »

That looks great - I had an orange '70 on sprints about 18 years ago and it was honestly the best bug I've ever owned. The loom looks like an interesting bit of kit. Any details?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jimbosmith

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 12:27:22 pm »

Loom was put together by Aircooled Auto Elec https://www.facebook.com/VWAIRCOOLEDAUTOELECTRICREPAIRNW/

They can supply and fit a complete loom or custom build what you need, I had them build me the Front half of a bug loom, and then connected to my existing rear half of the loom via a plug as it wasn't that old just messy looking.   Every circuit is protected inside that blackfuse holder by the more modern Blade Fuses, so each individual circuit is protected and then all labelled up for ease of use.   I had him supply me some extra circuits, for Line lock, gauges and my fuel pump controller, other than that its all stock replacement in the correct colours.  It was very easy to fit, it came pre crimped so its just a case of pushing them onto your switches, didnt even need a pair or wirecutters, and any questions he answered pretty much instantly.   
Jimbosmith

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 22:07:34 pm »

Bit more progress, still awaiting delivery of the New Gearbox being built by John Walklett, but i have taken delivery of my Race Axles from Jussi.

Installed 26MM torsion bars and Poly bushes, have shot for the Sway away recommended angle for starters will see how it sits once the engine and gearbox is back in.   Hopefully have the linelock fitted tomorrow. 
FredH17

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 11:03:35 am »

Nice project !!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: