The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 15:04:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Valve guide advise
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Valve guide advise  (Read 2847 times)
Mike Cott

« on: May 17, 2020, 20:51:53 pm »

I bought some used heads and upon strip down I’ve found a tip on an intake valve guide has a little damage right on the tip of it. The valves slide nicely with no indication of miss shape, does this matter???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Cott

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 18:56:49 pm »

Any advice would be great!!! 😂😂

Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 23:09:07 pm »

I thought trimming guides back was done on purpose for some reason, turbo maybe?
Some think it's a good idea to trim it, while some say leave it protrude to support the valve better so probably doesn't matter much.
Just giving some seat of the pants bs here since nobody else has an opinion.  Roll Eyes

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:47:53 am »

Mike, I'm no expert, but my gut feeling is that it'll be OK, however if it was me I'd do a little bit of work deburring it and making sure there are no cracks or stress risers in it.
Next thing to consider is if the others would need shaping to match. I'm sure someone who actually knows what they're talking about will tell you if I'm talking rubbish or not!
You might find a local cylinder head place who can replace the guides though - I had my Superflow heads done many years ago.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
samotorsport

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:02:56 pm »

I am one of those guys , in case of doubt ....
You ve got it apart, you never get a better chance to get it done . Just imagine you have to take the engine out again and start from scratch .
I would replace it .
Ok maybe thats because i am fixing airplanes for living and have a different approach to stuff like this .
But as it is in aviation : Better safe than sorry !

Garrick Clark

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 19:07:41 pm »

A machine shop would spot face that in 15 mins

Air cooled Engine builder
Martin S.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 21:17:31 pm »

Here's a pic of mine before the guides were pushed in to get them out of the way for porting.
Doesn't look much different than yours. Note the unshrouding of the intake valve is very similar to mine, at least at this point of the headwork.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Mike Cott

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 22:33:47 pm »

I thought trimming guides back was done on purpose for some reason, turbo maybe?
Some think it's a good idea to trim it, while some say leave it protrude to support the valve better so probably doesn't matter much.
Just giving some seat of the pants bs here since nobody else has an opinion.  Roll Eyes
Thanks for the advice Martin 👍

Mike Cott

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 22:35:18 pm »

Mike, I'm no expert, but my gut feeling is that it'll be OK, however if it was me I'd do a little bit of work deburring it and making sure there are no cracks or stress risers in it.
Next thing to consider is if the others would need shaping to match. I'm sure someone who actually knows what they're talking about will tell you if I'm talking rubbish or not!
You might find a local cylinder head place who can replace the guides though - I had my Superflow heads done many years ago.
Yeh I reckon they’d be fine may as well send them to be checked over by someone in the know you know 😉

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: