The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 17:19:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Breather oil volume
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Breather oil volume  (Read 2483 times)
baz

« on: June 03, 2020, 12:48:01 pm »

I'm wondering what's a normal amount of oil to see in a breather that doesn't drain back to case. I've a temporary set up on my 2276 with a hose from the fuel pump location and the oil fill location.

The fuel pump hose I have stuck the end into a vented plastic bottle to observe what comes out. The oil filler location doesn't spew any oil so the hose just hangs in the engine bay.

After an hour or do of mixed driving including high revs I see around 250 ml of oil in my bottle.

I'm running a berg 4 qt sump and keep the oil near the bottom line on dipstick. Rocker covers aren't vented and are dry.

Just wondering if this is considered normal?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:50:54 pm by baz » Logged

I will prevail.
leec

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 13:12:20 pm »

How much oil have you got in the motor? The only time I saw an amount of oil stay in the breather was when I overfilled it at the track. I run my oil level so it just wets the bottom of the dipstick.

Lee
baz

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 13:19:18 pm »

How much oil have you got in the motor? The only time I saw an amount of oil stay in the breather was when I overfilled it at the track. I run my oil level so it just wets the bottom of the dipstick.

Lee

Thanks Lee mine is usually between bottom of stick and low level line. Do you drain your box back to the case?

I will prevail.
leec

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 14:12:26 pm »

Yep, from the breather box to a fitting in the oil filler

May be worth trying a little less oil. You have a big sump so a lot of oil in that already
PPRMicke

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 10:20:46 am »

I'm wondering what's a normal amount of oil to see in a breather that doesn't drain back to case. I've a temporary set up on my 2276 with a hose from the fuel pump location and the oil fill location.

The fuel pump hose I have stuck the end into a vented plastic bottle to observe what comes out. The oil filler location doesn't spew any oil so the hose just hangs in the engine bay.

After an hour or do of mixed driving including high revs I see around 250 ml of oil in my bottle.

I'm running a berg 4 qt sump and keep the oil near the bottom line on dipstick. Rocker covers aren't vented and are dry.

Just wondering if this is considered normal?

if you have a small box, there will be overpressure in the box
Here in Sweden we have large boxes over 2 l to avoid overpressure in the box If you look at RLR box it is big (racing tested)

If you looked at the rules it says at least 0.5
/// M

baz

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:50:24 am »

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any box right now, I'm looking for one that will suit. I've a 500ml bottle with the breather hose stuck into the bottle through the lid. If I'm following you correctly this is an insufficient set up and causes oil spewing?

I will prevail.
PPRMicke

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 14:48:00 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any box right now, I'm looking for one that will suit. I've a 500ml bottle with the breather hose stuck into the bottle through the lid. If I'm following you correctly this is an insufficient set up and causes oil spewing?
Yes
If one can manufacture one himself then it will be cheaper
In the link I added you can get an idea how to make one
A long tube of 60-100> mm in diameter 300-400mm long with connections and a filter at the top works super

link https://www.csp-shop.com/shop/system/en/?func=searchdo&cache=1591278003&qsearch=breather
baz

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 16:52:48 pm »

Yes
If one can manufacture one himself then it will be cheaper
In the link I added you can get an idea how to make one
A long tube of 60-100> mm in diameter 300-400mm long with connections and a filter at the top works super

link https://www.csp-shop.com/shop/system/en/?func=searchdo&cache=1591278003&qsearch=breather

Thanks dude I'll see about getting one made locally.

I will prevail.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: