The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:31:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Looking for recommendations for a discreet (sounding) exhaust.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looking for recommendations for a discreet (sounding) exhaust.  (Read 2709 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« on: July 06, 2020, 09:23:03 am »

The car is a 61 Bug with a 2165 IDA motor. I run a Speedshop header and turbo style muffler, and although I really love the sound of it, I am getting complaints from where I store the car which is a pretty big issue because secure storage is difficult to come by around here.

What are my options, any muffler setups off the shelf which would fit my large flange header?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:33:28 am by kaferboy » Logged

jmarkha1

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 11:42:05 am »

twin thunderbird quiet-packs will make it a bit more civilised without choking the poor thing...
leec

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 12:40:36 pm »

What about a secondary muffler that attaches to your current one, just for when you are near your storage?
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 15:03:37 pm »

What about a secondary muffler that attaches to your current one, just for when you are near your storage?

Good idea Lee, but was really looking for something I could fit and forget.

Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 15:18:51 pm »

This idea came up when we were discussing the same thing with my car. Love the open turbo sound, but didn't go over well at 7am.
We were talking about some kind of a manual valve that could choke off the sound, and then be turned to open up again when it was safe to do so.
I ended up taking it to Hot Rod Scotts who specialize in custom exhaust and they added on one of their flat packs.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Andy

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 16:16:59 pm »

I have a Speedshop turbo muffler and the dual quiet pack to choose from, the dual quiet pack is alot quieter. Still not quiet by modern standards but not as offensive as a turbo muffler.

As a different design if you really want it quiet, the Brazilian bays have a silencer by each valve cover and combined with a cat they are very quiet.

baz

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 23:05:22 pm »

The car is a 61 Bug with a 2165 IDA motor. I run a Speedshop header and turbo style muffler, and although I really love the sound of it, I am getting complaints from where I store the car which is a pretty big issue because secure storage is difficult to come by around here.

What are my options, any muffler setups off the shelf which would fit my large flange header?

Thanks

Find who's complaining and fill their exhaust back box with expanding foam. That'll learn em  Wink

I will prevail.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 10:31:16 am »

Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: