The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:43:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Gearbox question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gearbox question  (Read 2801 times)
samotorsport

« on: July 31, 2020, 19:19:15 pm »

So i ve got a question concerning your gearboxes . Those who are driving the car on both , street and track
Without any locked diff i loose a lot on the strip , on the other hand , with a 100 % locked one , driving around corners on the street isn t fun either.
Did you install a lsd ? Limited slip ? If so , what kind / brand n setting do you run ?
Best regards
Sam
richie

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 20:04:57 pm »

I have a car with a quaife, one with spool[turbo car] and open with open diff[turbo car], all street drien and to be honest the spool drives pretty much like the quaife does when you are driving hard but quaife is much easier when driving slow/parking or pushing it!!! The open diff car just spins one tyre a lot Shocked Wink but is much better on roundabouts and general tight manoeuvring but it is a 1303 Cheesy

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Eddie DVK

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 09:32:56 am »

A small side step,
Richie do you know where I can buy a good gearbox (or builder in Europe) good voor 200BHP.
I find it very difficult to find one. (with a website??)

Thanks in regrds
Eddie
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:34:32 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Jimbosmith

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 09:44:12 am »

A small side step,
Richie do you know where I can buy a good gearbox (or builder in Europe) good voor 200BHP.

Thanks in regrds
Eddie

Message John Walklett, i have had a box built by him. Highly recommend him, very helpful and will build to any spec i believe.

https://www.facebook.com/vwgearbox/
samotorsport

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 09:51:30 am »

Thanks a lot , so i guess , for a street driven car with power and occasional use on the drag strip , a LSD would be best option .
I still have a “AB” laying around , which could be used as a starting point .
But i hqbe to check the ratios , guess it is to weak for a 150 hp engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddie DVK

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 18:18:13 pm »

A small side step,

Thanks in regrds
Eddie

Message John Walklett, i have had a box built by him. Highly recommend him, very helpful and will build to any spec i believe.

https://www.facebook.com/vwgearbox/

Thanks will have a look.

eddie

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
bean

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 18:46:02 pm »

only dealt with John Walklet once (few years ago now) - super helpful guy who diagnosed the most likely vause of my gearboxs issue over the phone and was spot on with his diagnosis to boot
Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 18:22:19 pm »

A small side step,

Thanks in regrds
Eddie

Hi Eddie,
I know I'm late (almost two months after your question!) but Peter Englezos at Cogbox built my gearbox in my race car, and if I was having another one done, I'd use him again.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: