The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:55:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  CSP Python
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CSP Python  (Read 3767 times)
Jimbosmith

« on: August 01, 2020, 18:54:20 pm »

Hi all

I took delivery of a CSP python, as a upgrade to my Empi/ssp merged system.  However its not even close to fitting.  The muffler fouls the rear tyre and it wont fit due to the Rear Disk caliper. I messaged CSP prior to ordering to check fitment with my mods and the told me it would fit but that it would close and they have members cars that run a similar setup.   The muffler would need about 2inchs coming coming off and it needs tucking closer to the engine.   Really not impressed given the price point.  Just wondered if anyones run into this issue as i cant imagine its just me.

1970 bug running short axles and disks
leec

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 21:33:13 pm »

If it doesn’t fit, send it back for a refund, if it was a lot cheaper I would take it on the chin and modify but that’s a premium price/product
Lee
Jimbosmith

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 09:47:59 am »

If it doesn’t fit, send it back for a refund, if it was a lot cheaper I would take it on the chin and modify but that’s a premium price/product
Lee

Thanks, yeah i have messaged them to try and see if i can send it back, not sure how they will react though.  It was only dry tested on a brand new motor, none of the gaskets are even compressed and the motor wasn't even started up.  But yeah as you say, i really didnt expect to have to modify by that much to make it fit given the price point. 
mungouk

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 13:38:41 pm »

Mine did sort of the same thing (a few years ago now) ....I don't have disks , it fowled the tyre though .
 I made up a wedge shaped spacer to fit the mufler flange , it was about 10mm going down to 0mm 
 it kicked the back end of the muffler in a couple of inches , it's been on there for years .

Jimbosmith

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 19:50:04 pm »

Mine did sort of the same thing (a few years ago now) ....I don't have disks , it fowled the tyre though .
 I made up a wedge shaped spacer to fit the mufler flange , it was about 10mm going down to 0mm 
 it kicked the back end of the muffler in a couple of inches , it's been on there for years .

That does sound like a good solution to the tyre problem, that hadnt crossed my mind. i think unfortunately the brake calipers are too large to clear it even with a mod such as that. Only way i can see it working is to cut down the muffler intake just after the collector and shorten the whole lot. 

2much

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 22:21:30 pm »

Not sure what you explained about your mods or detail to CSP but with short axles and fat tyres it will always be hit or miss depending on wheel offset, did you give them full specs?

I suspect CSP where also co spidering that you had a more modern twin piston rear dies set up possibly, the type you are running will always be a challenge with this type of muffler fitting.

Have experience of two installations  similar to yours (Bug and 356 replica) and in both cases about 2" from length of muffler needed removing.

3 options; return / modify exhaust / modify car in ascending cost order....
Jimbosmith

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 19:12:02 pm »

Not sure what you explained about your mods or detail to CSP but with short axles and fat tyres it will always be hit or miss depending on wheel offset, did you give them full specs?

I suspect CSP where also co spidering that you had a more modern twin piston rear dies set up possibly, the type you are running will always be a challenge with this type of muffler fitting.

Have experience of two installations  similar to yours (Bug and 356 replica) and in both cases about 2" from length of muffler needed removing.

3 options; return / modify exhaust / modify car in ascending cost order....

Yeah shorting the muffler would solve the issue, but its beyond my welding skills to reweld the stainless to do the exhaust justice and to get the car running to be able to take it to someone to solve is also a problem.  So for me the best solution is to return.  I did find on CIP1 that they do advise that cars running disk would need to short the muffler. I couldnt justify buying the CSP rear disks too at this point just to get the exhaust to fit, the old empi ones have been fine for 10+ years i have had them installed.  Maybe one day....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: