The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 13:16:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Reusable Valve Cover Gaskets
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Reusable Valve Cover Gaskets  (Read 1913 times)
Martin S.

« on: August 02, 2020, 16:58:59 pm »

When I saw these I thought great! No more replacing gaskets almost every time I adjust the valves.
I finally tried them out with mixed results and was wondering how they were working for others.
I have the EMPI brand black neoprene ones but they needed trimming with scissors around the little bump in the valve covers. I did that and put them on my all-original 71 Bus. One side leaked like crazy!
I also have the more expensive “areospace silicone rubber” ones that cip sells so I put those on and went for a drive.
Then I notice a nice stripe up the driveway of fresh oil. Same side leaking ugh.
I took it off again and noticed the gasket seemed too big and wouldn’t sit level in the cover. Wtf?
I had the nice German cork originals from an engine gasket set and put that on and no more leak.
Some High Tack Spray-a-gasket was used to keep them in place.
Cip now is showing another version of the red ones branded as C+C UK. Anyone tried those?
https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C33%2DS92331

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Jimbosmith

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 19:41:17 pm »

I have used the Silicone ones before and never had any leaks from them. Custom and Commercial do make some really good products over here in the uk so id trust that these would be good quality, i think my last set might've been the wolfberg west ones.

Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 21:16:45 pm »

Thanks I’ll give those a shot.
I put the same black EMPI ones on my 65 with its 1776 and big leaks from both sides today.  Roll Eyes

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Jimbosmith

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 21:56:45 pm »

Thanks I’ll give those a shot.
I put the same black EMPI ones on my 65 with its 1776 and big leaks from both sides today.  Roll Eyes

What rocker covers are you running?  They can sometimes be a pain to get them to stop leaking, sometimes need to take them of and on a few times to get them seated correctly.
Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 00:06:51 am »

Original valve covers.
I think the problem is the size of the gaskets are a bit too big compared to original gaskets.
I lined up the left side and see how the right side is a bit off causing the gasket to buckle inward when used.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:17:33 am by Martin S. » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: