The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 17:52:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 1950 Splitscreen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My 1950 Splitscreen  (Read 5176 times)
samotorsport

« on: August 03, 2020, 23:37:29 pm »

My initial plan for the winter was to give my dragster a new paintjob , timeframe was set , money aside , all planned !
But my dad came up with a facebook post of one of my bucket list items , long story short , a couple days ago I picked up a 1950 split bodyshell

Tomorrow i gonna pick up a pan at a friends place to start the long term project .
It will be kind of Callook with one exception .
The paintjob is going to be a gold with tiny metalflakes in it to suit the scaled one i ve built for my youngest son.

It is going to be a road legal car with some big motor and nice interior for occasional visits to the dragstrip .
I just couldn’t let this opportunity pass by .
So here we go ... a long therm project ,
But at least i know that my dragster is going to be ready to race when ever Corona allows ! Hopefully latest a EBI in Chimay in 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
samotorsport

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 22:22:11 pm »

So here we go , found a suitable pan for the car

Going full monty with it

By the way , i changed my mind about the paintjob . It is not getting metal flake . But a very nice yellow gold metallic color , but thats a very lomg way to go Wink
Wout

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 11:44:37 am »

Already looking forward to see some updates  Wink.

The little cars are awesome!

Good luck!

Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
samotorsport

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 16:21:42 pm »

Anybody has an idea what happened here ?
I would say the relocated this car was extrem low n scraping and therefore they bit out those „notches“ to let the drive tubes pass ?
The forward mounts are for the chassis . But what have the rear mounts been for ?

samotorsport

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 10:43:29 am »

So i found out they had the body on a younger chassis and they notched it to get access to the bolt of the shock absorber. As i am going to put a 62 pan underneath i will get this sorted too.
samotorsport

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 10:46:13 am »

Still another question for the split experts.
How to recognize an original split front bonnet.
Mine needs some serious work , willing to do so. But only if i am sure it is a split one.
If it is just a „standard“ long one from pre 67 , i might just get a better one with less work on it
How to spot the differences there ?
prea356

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 13:37:51 pm »

Here is some pictures of a switter for sale and if you scroll through those pictures you will find the answer to your question what there should be in a split bonnet

http://www.californiacar.com/dazwit.htm

samotorsport

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 13:47:30 pm »

Thanks for the link , so mine is not a split one , the VW logo sits on a bump and it has the 3 hole fixation .
brewsy

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 21:14:07 pm »

My initial plan for the winter was to give my dragster a new paintjob , timeframe was set , money aside , all planned !
But my dad came up with a facebook post of one of my bucket list items , long story short , a couple days ago I picked up a 1950 split bodyshell

Not jealous at all  Wink
Congrats and cant wait to see how it goes...
samotorsport

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 13:55:37 pm »

So , collected some parts and worked on the pan , i will post some pics later (doesn t work for the moment)

Some questions came up

Front beam , my idea was to stick to an original link pin version with welded in adjusters .  Is this the correct way to go ? Or did the guys drove flipped spindles back then ?
I will put 4x15 ET 35 in the front , the zero offset disc brakes by CSP .
I guess this should fit and have the proper look ?!?

Rear axle is going to be 5,5x15 Et 15 wheels and the original narrow version axles like it used to be . I hope this will fill the arches enough with a 205/65/15 tyre

Thinking about a 1 inch trans raise by RLR , does it make sense on a street car ? Or am i going to have too much hassle to get the 48 IDA under the deck ?

Any comments suggestions on this ?

samotorsport

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 19:12:37 pm »

Here are some pics .
Can somebody tell me the story about the air shocks in the front ?
Were they inflatable at a gas station or did the guys install an air tank (like an airride nowadays) to lift the front in case of beeing pulled over ?
Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 09:30:56 am »

I think there was a story in the first KS Cal Look book about air shocks, but I can't remember what! The split looks really good - I miss mine!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
samotorsport

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 10:49:30 am »

Thanks , i am not that far in the book yet, only got it Wink
But i will have a look .
Yes i am really looking forward on this build , first i had wilder ideas in mind , but now it comes more to a real classic Cal look !

samotorsport

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 18:40:18 pm »

Let s go full monty !

brewsy

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 20:48:26 pm »

Wowsers.
Definitely going full Monty there!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: