The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 18:51:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Electric fans on dragster ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Electric fans on dragster ?  (Read 4695 times)
samotorsport

« on: September 25, 2020, 06:27:02 am »

Anybody has some first hand experience on a dragster with and without electric cooling fans ?
In theory a good thing , but i also have seen some guys claiming the cylinder head temp beeing even higher then with the engine hanging naked in the wind .
I run a 1835 in my bug , always without a bonnet installed , so best possible airflow i can get .
As i am giving the engine and car some updates i was thinking about giving it some fans , now that i will have an alternator on board to power them .
What are your experiences ?

PPRMicke

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 17:42:42 pm »

Anybody has some first hand experience on a dragster with and without electric cooling fans ?
In theory a good thing , but i also have seen some guys claiming the cylinder head temp beeing even higher then with the engine hanging naked in the wind .
I run a 1835 in my bug , always without a bonnet installed , so best possible airflow i can get .
As i am giving the engine and car some updates i was thinking about giving it some fans , now that i will have an alternator on board to power them .
What are your experiences ?

It works really well to drive without a fan
Why not drive with a generator without a fan
If you have wideband lambda, you will see how fatter the mixture becomes, the less volts you have in the battery
(between 300 -402 m)
/// Micke
samotorsport

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 18:07:07 pm »

I ran for 5 years without an alternator and wirhout a fan.
I wanna put a little alternator on just to keep the voltage high and the spark constant.
On top i just have a little battery installed for weight saving which needs to be recharged too .
As i dont have a big team at the race , i have to drive back and can t be towed . This is why i thought about electric fans .
What would you say would be the max cylinder head temp before it starts getting critical ?
mikko k

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 18:50:42 pm »

290 hp in this, no fans needed. Although, I do have 8 liter oil in the sump.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
samotorsport

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 21:13:33 pm »

Thanks a lot , the oil temp was never an issue for me , was always in a good range .
In the old days driving in Bitburg we did the run and waited in the back for around 10-15 min before we drove back , now in Bad Sobernheim and Clastres the return is in one go with the run .
Of course the driving wind helps to cool down the heads but i never measured the temp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 18:04:51 pm »

I've seen people run a stock alternator and fan shroud, just no fan, which always seemed a bit strange. I wouldn't bother with the fan shroud at all!

Doug Berg used to run a fanshroud with a generator wired up as a motor. Get to the end of the track, then flick a switch and the motor comes on! Clever, but not helping with wanting to add an alternator.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
samotorsport

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 22:43:17 pm »

Yes running a housing without a fan doesn t seem to make sense to me either .

I m sorry but i don’t really get what Doug Berg did ?
Can you please explain me a little more ?
I almost finished the alternator bracket . Just need to add a tension adjuster .

Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 23:58:33 pm »

From what I remember, and it's been a while, by connecting the generator up to a battery, it spins like a motor. I believe he would drive to the track with regular cooling and wiring, pull the fanbelt off and swap the wiring around. Do a run, no cooling as no belt, but at the end of the track he could flick a switch which would make the generator spin like an electric motor, powered by the battery.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
spoolin70

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 09:52:57 am »

Yes running a housing without a fan doesn t seem to make sense to me either .

I m sorry but i don’t really get what Doug Berg did ?
Can you please explain me a little more ?
I almost finished the alternator bracket . Just need to add a tension adjuster .

Hi
On a side note, can I ask the make of your crank pulley - looks like it clears the pump cover (so would be ok with a dry sump pump  Smiley)
samotorsport

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 10:11:19 am »

Ah now i got it . Thanks !
The pulley clears the oil pump cover yes .
It comes from Engine plus in Cologne Germany . But i am not sure if they still sell them . They had a batch done a while ago .
spoolin70

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 10:37:43 am »

Appreciate the reply  Smiley

I've had a quick search and can't even find a website/Facebook etc .There is a engine plus motorsports but they are in Indonesia Huh

Good luck
Darren
samotorsport

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 10:42:29 am »

They have a internet site , but not much on it , they are all day in the shop , not much online Wink
Try engineplus.de

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 16:23:13 pm »

mike smith engine on his white 67

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 16:34:43 pm »

kris klingaman engines

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 17:17:27 pm »

gary berg engine with squirrel fans

spoolin70

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 10:05:12 am »

They have a internet site , but not much on it , they are all day in the shop , not much online Wink
Try engineplus.de

Thanks for the address - very helpful.
Have sent an email, hopefully someone speaks English there (I failed German at school  Sad)

Stay safe
Darren
Glauco

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 13:03:38 pm »

gary berg engine with squirrel fans

Don't shoot me if this is a dumb question (and sory for the topic hijack) but what carbs are this? They look to be welded on the outside?
PPRMicke

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 17:47:54 pm »

modified IDA
which became Berg IDA (52-58
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: