The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 18:34:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Autometer Guages and Speedo into Beetle Dash
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Autometer Guages and Speedo into Beetle Dash  (Read 2755 times)
BugBusBuggy

« on: December 16, 2020, 15:56:36 pm »

Hiya,
I'm looking to order some autometer Sport Comp gauges for my beetle over the Festive break. Firstly is there a decent supplier in the UK, or is it easier to order from the States and import?
Secondly, I'm contemplating going the whole hog and adding a GPS speedo. I know I have seen steel dash beetles with an Autometer speedo installed, but are they an easy fit physically or will I have to have something fabricated? I know I'll have to sort lights for oil/volts/indicators and main beam.
Anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Dave.

If it breaks (and it probably will).... it's time for an upgrade...
Martin S.

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 20:16:59 pm »

I've installed the VDO electronic speedo recently after my 80s era VDO cockpit speedo started reading way too high. The senders are common to all electronic speedos (including the Autometer) according to cip1. There are two choices of senders, with one using a regular speedo cable adapted to the electronic sensor that connects to the speedo. The other sender is a gps unit. They were both around the same expensive price when I bought.
I figured that the cable version would be better for two reasons: First, it would work like stock and not have glitches like freezing when no gps signal is present like obscured skies with trees, tunnels, etc., and secondly I thought the gps sensor would need to be exposed to the sky to work and where would it go?
So I got the cable version, but even tho I have the cable not kinked at all, and going straight into the dash area, zip tied up without bending it, I get a wildly oscillating speedo pointer reading at around 60 to 80 or 90 kph. then it smooths out after that.
I called cip1 tech help and they "hadn't heard of that problem" which is a standard line they use, and they suggested lubing the (brand new supplied) cable. I asked if the gps sensor worked well and he said yes, and no, it didn't need any special mounting location. I'm not sure if these answers are any good, but I'm tempted to try the gps sensor, although it is $$$.
I got the no-name sender on the left here: https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C34%2DVT%2D1000

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
BugBusBuggy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 11:37:31 am »

Thanks Martin, appreciate it. I'll probably go with the GPS sender. I think for the few occasions where it might not get a reading, I'll be able to live with it, and the places where it's really critical (around town) in terms of not being pulled over for speed are probably where it'll be most stable. On the motorways, I'll just make sure some other suckas are going faster than me.... Grin
I was also wondering about the physical fitting of the speedo in the dash aperture if anyone's done it with an autometer one.

Martin S.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 15:25:01 pm »

Good call. Please update this thread with your experience using the gps sender, like where u mounted it, how well it works, etc. I like the idea of having no more cable. The one in my 65 beetle broke again for the second time recently!  Shocked

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Andrew

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 18:26:08 pm »

Do a Google for "Real Steel", that's where I got my Autometer gauges from in the UK. I used a Fast Fab radio mount to hold the smaller sized ones for oil pressure, oil temp and voltage. In know the Fast Fab holder says it's for VDO, but you just need longer allen bolts for Autometer gauges, beware, however good Fast Fab stuff is, and I'm a fan, they use Imperial threads, which is a pain if you are in Europe.

BugBusBuggy

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 09:24:20 am »

Do a Google for "Real Steel", that's where I got my Autometer gauges from in the UK. I used a Fast Fab radio mount to hold the smaller sized ones for oil pressure, oil temp and voltage. In know the Fast Fab holder says it's for VDO, but you just need longer allen bolts for Autometer gauges, beware, however good Fast Fab stuff is, and I'm a fan, they use Imperial threads, which is a pain if you are in Europe.

Thanks Andrew, I'd seen Real Steel. They're a bit more expensive that Demon Tweeks, but Demon Tweeks don't appear to stock everything I need, at least not on line and I'd rather buy in one order from one place. I think Deemon Tweeks are only about 40 miles from me, so I might see if they're open for a nosey around.   
I have already bought the Fast Fab holder from RJ Volks, thanks for the heads up on the longer allen bolts and the imperial threads... Shocked
I'll have to find an Imperial Bolt supplier. I don't suppose you know what size / length you used?

Cheers,
Dave.

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 13:04:46 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Looking back a my purchases, I got them off eBay from Kays, I think they were UNC 10, 5/8 long, but it was several years ago, I would measure yours to check.

The Autometer gauges fit fine, otherwise.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 13:23:19 pm by Andrew » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: