The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:18:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DDS shifters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: DDS shifters  (Read 18790 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2007, 18:41:45 pm »

I like the look of a stock late model shifter with quick shift kit. Too bad they don't feel as robust as a Berg. I have never liked the DDS look, and wouldn't want one.
stealth67vw

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 18:43:28 pm »

I agree. They look cheap and flimsy and they were.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 18:46:55 pm by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 18:43:42 pm »

I know a lot of people hate them but I really like my scat shifter. For a tall guy like me the short throw feels good and I don't have to lean forward in the seat to hit 1st or 3rd. I just wish it wasn't so ugly.

--louis
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 18:46:02 pm by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
stealth67vw

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 18:47:33 pm »

I hated all 4 of my Scat Mis-shifts. I recently started donating them to needy kids with baja bugs.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2007, 19:12:42 pm »

I know a lot of people hate them but I really like my scat shifter. For a tall guy like me the short throw feels good and I don't have to lean forward in the seat to hit 1st or 3rd. I just wish it wasn't so ugly.

--louis
this one louis ??

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2007, 19:20:56 pm »

yep, thats the one. I don't seem to have any problems with it missing shifts. I think it is close to a 60% throw but I am comfortable with it. I got it for free in exchange for helping a guy do some work on his bug. (He wanted a stock shifter.) I will probably end up switching it out for a Berg or CSP shifter just for the looks.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2007, 19:31:37 pm »

Btw Zach, you should put your car in a display cabinet! Grin

Bahhh!!! Whats the fun in that?! Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 19:59:42 pm »

I have a Berg fingergrip shifter and an Hurst copper shifter in my cars.. They look great and they work even better.. I like the look of the DDS one, but I personally think they are crap.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 20:05:11 pm by Rune » Logged
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 20:22:48 pm »

WOW this thread has really taken off BIG TIME  Smiley but anyway back to the topic if you don't mind guys  Wink Smiley

so could I just turn the handle around and redrill the other side for the screw Huh Huh Huh

You either "Get It" or you don't......
larry mck

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2007, 21:27:11 pm »

C.B. also sold them back in the 70s. I had one until it broke, fixed it and broke again. I think they look great too, they are just too fragile. The real DDS shifters had the little DDS sticker on the shaft right below the handle. 
IP359

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2007, 21:53:54 pm »

Hi Loungers,
I'd like open this topic but Monkiboy was too fast  Grin
I'd like to know if :
- you can explain me how throw off a DDS shifter to clean or repear it ?
- you have a plan (or informations) for reproducing a bottom plate which miss every time on DDS shifter. A guy explains me that it's possible to do a new one with original bug bottom plate and an earlier Type 2 shifter ?

Thanks a lot, my friends.....

PS: Speedwell, i'm still interested by your issues but i'm a little bit broke at this time. Thanks again for your offer. See u soon

Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2007, 22:00:49 pm »

people, let's leave the museum parts in the display cabinet and let's play with stuff that works: berg shifter.
don't agree with you roland  Wink

I do Roland,

Why should somebody Pay loads of money for something already broken or for something that will break as soon as you use the way it was intented to be used...

Maybe these shifters or okay to be used with a Slow car when Speed or Powershifting is out of Question...

Get a Berg Shifter if you want something near Perfection or if you want something old an Original Empi Eliminator shifter, at least it won't break the first Time used hard... Wink Grin Grin

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Lee.C

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2007, 22:24:46 pm »

Can we PLEASE stay "on topic" guys  Wink Smiley

I know thay break - I know they are old - I know they always have parts missing BUT I want to know if they can be converted over to RHD Smiley

So once again lets stay "on topic"  Smiley

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2007, 22:34:04 pm »

I know thay break - I know they are old - I know they always have parts missing BUT I want to know if they can be converted over to RHD Smiley

I think we are starting to annoy monkiboy.  Wink

Does anyone have a pic of the end of the shaft where the handle mounts? I think it would depend on how the reverse lockout mechanism works. I am guessing it is probably possible though. Looks like the fitting on the end of the shaft is a bolt on.

--louis

Louis Brooks

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2007, 22:47:33 pm »

people, let's leave the museum parts in the display cabinet and let's play with stuff that works: berg shifter.

I do Roland,

Why should somebody Pay loads of money for something already broken or for something that will break as soon as you use the way it was intented to be used...

Maybe these shifters or okay to be used with a Slow car when Speed or Powershifting is out of Question...

Get a Berg Shifter if you want something near Perfection or if you want something old an Original Empi Eliminator shifter, at least it won't break the first Time used hard... Wink Grin Grin

Frank
powershifting is out of question  Grin Grin have you seen the shifter in the super shitbox frank  Roll Eyes it's a stock vw shifter and go to the dragstrip with your BERG SHIFTER and NOS system ; dido will kick your ass with is old  stock vw shifter
 Angry

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lee.C

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2007, 23:27:01 pm »

I think we are starting to annoy monkiboy.  Wink

Does anyone have a pic of the end of the shaft where the handle mounts? I think it would depend on how the reverse lockout mechanism works. I am guessing it is probably possible though. Looks like the fitting on the end of the shaft is a bolt on.

--louis

Its cool dude I was just wondering why we had nearly 3 pages of every thing BUT converting it over to RHD Wink Smiley

I just think they are the COOLEST shifter EVER  Smiley

Also someone mentioned the Empi Eliminator - I used to havel one of those and all I can say is that is the WORST SHIFTER EVER  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 23:30:42 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2007, 00:14:34 am »

C.B. also sold them back in the 70s. I had one until it broke, fixed it and broke again. I think they look great too, they are just too fragile. The real DDS shifters had the little DDS sticker on the shaft right below the handle. 
Hi Larry your Race Car had a DDS shifter in it  My Friend Larry Rick Bought it from you
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 00:19:14 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Frank LUX

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2007, 00:16:16 am »

I do Roland,

Frank
powershifting is out of question  Grin Grin have you seen the shifter in the super shitbox frank  Roll Eyes it's a stock vw shifter and go to the dragstrip with your BERG SHIFTER and NOS system ; dido will kick your ass with is old  stock vw shifter
 Angry

Bla, Bla, Bla... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BTW: Yes i have seen the Shifter in SSB and it's not a Stock Shifter...but a late DDS one...not the crapy one you are Using... Tongue

And Shifters don't make HP Fab's just in case you forgot...which does not mean Dido is slower than me, I guess he is quicker than me!!!

To bad i have to Race somebody else, would have love to race against you "SPEEDY" but I would probably need to pull 3 Sparkplug Cables out of my Motor to give you a Chance Tongue Tongue Tongue

Frank
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 00:20:58 am by Frank LUX » Logged

1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2007, 01:52:07 am »

[quote author=Frank LUX link=topic=3141.msg41594#msg41594 To bad i have to Race somebody else, would have love to race against you "SPEEDY" but I would probably need to pull 3 Sparkplug Cables out of my Motor to give you a Chance Tongue Tongue Tongue

Frank

[/quote]

DAMN!!! He's calling you out Fabs!!! You're not gonna wuss out now are you?? Grin Grin
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2007, 03:28:28 am »

Lee, get a shifter and send it to me, I will convert it for you. No joke Cool

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Lee.C

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2007, 03:35:02 am »

Lee, get a shifter and send it to me, I will convert it for you. No joke Cool

WOW Thankyou dude Shocked - I will PM you tomorrow  Smiley

nicolas

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2007, 08:34:55 am »

[quote author=Frank LUX link=topic=3141.msg41594#msg41594 To bad i have to Race somebody else, would have love to race against you "SPEEDY" but I would probably need to pull 3 Sparkplug Cables out of my Motor to give you a Chance Tongue Tongue Tongue

Frank

DAMN!!! He's calling you out Fabs!!! You're not gonna wuss out now are you?? Grin Grin
[/quote]

hmm considering none of there cars are running, they will have to be pushing there cars. so that will be interesting... right now my money is on fabs, as he has the advantage of a lighter engine and no NOS system to carry in the car. oh and no big and heavy IDA's

Grin

just keep it fun guys

Cool
Frank LUX

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2007, 09:41:01 am »

Frank

hmm considering none of there cars are running, they will have to be pushing there cars. so that will be interesting... right now my money is on fabs, as he has the advantage of a lighter engine and no NOS system to carry in the car. oh and no big and heavy IDA's

Grin

just keep it fun guys

Cool
[/quote]

Hmmm,

Good Idea, I'm cool with this "Race" solution, don't know about Fabian... Wink Grin Grin

Frank
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:44:40 am by Frank LUX » Logged

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2007, 12:26:13 pm »

Hey Lee, to make your car authentic, forget converting the shifter to RHD – convert your car to LHD! That's what I did with Flashback... You KNOW it makes sense!  Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Lee.C

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2007, 12:53:07 pm »

Hey Lee, to make your car authentic, forget converting the shifter to RHD – convert your car to LHD! That's what I did with Flashback... You KNOW it makes sense!  Cheesy

well I am not sure about it making sence  Wink I will have a think about it Smiley

IP359

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2007, 22:47:47 pm »

Hi Loungers,
I'd like to know if :
- you have a plan (or informations) for reproducing a bottom plate which miss every time on DDS shifter. A guy explains me that it's possible to do a new one with original bug bottom plate and an earlier Type 2 shifter ?

PS: Speedwell, i'm still interested by your issues but i'm a little bit broke at this time. Thanks again for your offer. See u soon

Nobody can help me ?
Thanks my friends

nicolas

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2007, 22:55:06 pm »

Hi Loungers,
I'd like to know if :

Nobody can help me ?
Thanks my friends

post a picture of the bottomplate as i think it is fairly easily made from a stock plate as well... i have seen it before, but never looked at it.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2007, 10:19:53 am »

as requested:

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2007, 10:20:49 am »

as requested:

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2007, 10:21:25 am »

as requested:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: