The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:18:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  When
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: When  (Read 2421 times)
Garrick Clark

« on: July 07, 2021, 12:43:13 pm »

With electric cars and fuel  starting to go out the window how long will engine building/tuning last.

Air cooled Engine builder
jmarkha1

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 13:47:26 pm »

forever hopefully.
10 years time well be swapping in tesla motors - either that or home brewing fuel :-)
baz

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 14:17:00 pm »

Guess it will depend on what taxes they impose on us and whether we can afford to pay them.

I will prevail.
leec

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 14:38:17 pm »

Before we all start worrying, I have to say I can’t see the infrastructure to support a massive population shift to electric vehicles happening any time soon. The government benefit hugely from the car industry/scene from taxes, I can’t see they would just turn their back on that and destroy jobs/livelihoods
baz

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 15:40:03 pm »

Not everyone will make the switch, those who don't or can't afford to can walk or use public transport, along with working from home etc there won't be a need for infrastructure to support an electric vehicle to replace every ice vehicle currently in use.

I will prevail.
Garrick Clark

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 20:43:47 pm »

Won't the prices of non converted classics drop like a stone. I myself won't be paying for a conversion as its too expensive, my little girl will need the money more than I need a converted beetle.
So to keep this hobby alive I believe the conversion price needs to be the price of a modest big vw motor. Maybe in 10 years the prices to go electric will be in the 5 grand range

Air cooled Engine builder
Brian Rogers

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 00:53:24 am »

Just to buy a wreck is $5-15k. The kits out there start at $10k
I won’t denigh that I’m looking into it.
Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 20:42:29 pm »

Both will keep going quite likely. Any kind of environmental penalty on carbon will be rolled into the price of fuel. Just like we have both electric and gas remote control models, gas and electric stoves, etc., they will co-exists for a long time.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Steve67

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 08:55:18 am »

I do no more than 8k kilometers per year with my old Volkwagens, I don't care too much if the fuel price doubles. That's just little money compared to the overall costs of the hobby.

Nevertheless I could imagine a nice electric conversion for my earlybay bus in one day the future if it really becomes necessary. We have designed a very nice split window bus  conversion in my company one year ago and it drives awesome.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: