The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 20:06:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 68 Squareback
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: My 68 Squareback  (Read 12331 times)
Abadco2

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2022, 01:02:33 am »

Well done. For the past years after the vandalism, I kept wondering if you would go all out. Great to see such a fabulous job, despite why you had to do it. Bravo. A.A.
Bryan67

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2022, 01:53:47 am »

Si it`s back from the bodyshop. Paint looks good. But of course, once I started to clean up the floor, I found more rust issues. New pan inserts from ISP and the right side kick panel needed repair. fortunately for me, my friend Daniel Hood is very good at that sort of thing. So now that`s taken care of, I can start to assemble.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
nicolas

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2022, 09:31:00 am »

nice work. your friend does a good job in my opinion.

a question regarding the filter conversion. which filter did you use and it's been a while since I looked inside a oil bath filter, but it looks like you cut out some parts, right?
Larry S

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2022, 14:53:13 pm »

Great job! the engine looks amazing. Super cool car.

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
Bryan67

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2022, 17:27:04 pm »

a question regarding the filter conversion. which filter did you use and it's been a while since I looked inside a oil bath filter, but it looks like you cut out some parts, right?

Thanks. I don`t remember the Wix filter number off hand. And the engine is covered up at the moment. But yes, I cut the ring out of the bottom housing, and the element out of the top.

nicolas

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2022, 13:10:05 pm »

Thanks. I don`t remember the Wix filter number off hand. And the engine is covered up at the moment. But yes, I cut the ring out of the bottom housing, and the element out of the top.

thanks. I think I could go to the store and have them figure it out with some measurements. thank you and good luck, or better luck...  Wink
wolfswest

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2022, 15:58:29 pm »

Did a clean up and repaint on the Tri Mill exhaust. New flat lenses and reflectors. NOS front signal lenses. Put on my Der Speed Shack plate frame. A set of Flat 4 mirrors.
 Did a heater delete. And ditched the KYB shocks for a new set of Konis. Worth every dollar.

just went through this topic.  Despite the vandalism it's gonna look like new!

Did you have the KYB gas filled shocks?  How does it compare with the konis?  Konis little less harsch and a bit softer I presume?

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Bryan67

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2022, 22:03:00 pm »

thanks. I think I could go to the store and have them figure it out with some measurements. thank you and good luck, or better luck...  Wink

I found it. It`s a WIX WA10647

Bryan67

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2022, 22:08:57 pm »

Did a clean up and repaint on the Tri Mill exhaust. New flat lenses and reflectors. NOS front signal lenses. Put on my Der Speed Shack plate frame. A set of Flat 4 mirrors.
 Did a heater delete. And ditched the KYB shocks for a new set of Konis. Worth every dollar.

just went through this topic.  Despite the vandalism it's gonna look like new!

Did you have the KYB gas filled shocks?  How does it compare with the konis?  Konis little less harsch and a bit softer I presume?
[/quote

Yes. it had the black GR2`s. Which are fine, but too harsh. The Koni`s arey nice. Much better ride and handling. And adjustable. Well worth the expense.

nicolas

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2023, 14:24:41 pm »

thank you!
Bryan67

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2023, 01:02:02 am »

I spent some time cleaning up the front suspension and flint clip. And refreshed the undercoating inside the front fenders and wheel wells.

Bryan67

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2023, 01:05:25 am »

Since the front suspension is all cleaned up, now it’s time for the rear. Pull the transmission and brakes. Convert to short axles. Clean up everything real good. Replated hardware. Put it all back together, and put the engine in.

Larry S

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2023, 15:18:48 pm »

Well done, great car. can't wait to see it finished.

Larry

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
Bryan67

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2023, 20:58:05 pm »

I knew this was in issue when I bought the car as there was a large piece of sheet metal siliconed down to the rear deck area. But since I`ve been forced to repaint the car (which has already been done) I could not leave it alone. So, I pried the sheet metal up and found this. So now I`m looking for a solid replacement. And I`ve searched up and down on The Samba, but haven't really found any in depth information about what's involved with the process. Does anyone have in depth pictures of the process?

Bryan67

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2023, 00:29:33 am »

Rus updates. t was not easy finding a replacement panel anymore. SP West did not have any. Nor did Joel in Washington. But I was able to basically buy a whole Fastback rear clip from Burt at Provolks in Merced, Ca. Which meant I had a lot of work to do removing what I needed from the whole clip. It came from a burned out car as he recently had a fire wipe out a bunch of his inventory. But it was the most solid one he had there. After getting it taken out, I had it blasted and then sprayed with weld through primer. Now the fun part. Carefully taken the rusted one out of a freshly painted car, and welding this one in... I know i should have done this before, But the PO has siliconed a flat piece of sheet metal over the rust, and I just couldn't leave it like that.

Bryan67

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2023, 00:37:18 am »

I’m pretty tall so stock VW seats never fit me very well. And I’ve become a fan of Scat Pro90’s, but the brackets they sell are too tall. So my friend Daniel Hood and I teamed up to put a set in my Squareback. But had to make new brackets to mount the seats lower. This required cutting the stock rails off though. After getting the seats in, he had the idea to make covers for the frames. So I made a pattern, and he cut them out on a CNC table, then bent and welded them up. Next is powder coating what we made. Then possible covering them with matching vinyl or carpet.

karl h

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2023, 07:15:11 am »

nice work!

Bryan67

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2023, 18:00:39 pm »

nice work!

Thank you

Bryan67

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2023, 05:06:03 am »

Still working on replacing the rear package tray. I’ve made some good progress. Drilled all the spotwelds and removed the old tray metal. But not without finding a little more rust on the sides.

leec

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2023, 09:04:20 am »

:)Nice work
Must be a bit nerve racking close to that new paint though!
Bryan67

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2023, 05:40:08 am »

:)Nice work
Must be a bit nerve racking close to that new paint though!

Yes, it is. And the welding hasn`t even begun yet.  Shocked

Bryan67

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2023, 04:15:45 am »

After a discussion with Daniel Hood, the decision was made to remove the back seat support (Which is rusty) in order to weld the package tray together under it. Then possibly weld it back on. I think this is the last of the spot weld drilling.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: