The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:46:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Rick Zavala
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rick Zavala  (Read 1809 times)
Donny B.

« on: August 12, 2022, 21:10:12 pm »

Just found out that Rick recently passed away.  Rick was the sometimes controversial owner of the former Gary Berg car.  Rick has been my friend  for many years and will be missed.

Another one has moved on to what I hope will be a better place...!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
restojohnny

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 23:39:18 pm »

Wow … haven’t seen him since he last came down to visit me at my house a year ago but he would call to see how me and the family are doing from time to time  …. He was a great friend and I will miss him … GODS SPEED MY DEAR FRIEND  Cry

Magnesium BRM hoarding bastard !!!

**SURE I'LL SELL IT TO YOU : ) **

EMPI KICK'S ASS EMPI KICK'S ASS
O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 original convertible GTV 
67 euro squareback
Russell

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 22:59:02 pm »

RIP Rick

yip he was a guy who appeared controversial, maybe protective. However, he always spoke to me and whilst reserved he had a passion for all things cal look but Im glad he took the Bergular to the GNRS for all to see, yes it wasn't show condition but it was there and nowhere near as bad as all the rumors made out.

Anyway my thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time.

RIP.

Best Regards

Russell
Rome

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 04:00:13 am »

Oh no! Rick had sent Bill S from CT and me some photos of his latest resto project just this past June, another '67 Beetle. I first met him in 1991 at the Golden Gate chapter of the Vintage VW Club meet in Solvang, California when I flew out from NY for that fine meet. A year or two later, at my first Kelley Park meet in San Jose, Jan P from Mountain View and I drove out to Steve H's VW shop in San Jose where Steve was keeping the Berglar for Rick before Steve moved out to Phoenix. Rick called me in late 1995 after Gene Berg passed away and asked if I'd be interested to get a group of VW enthusiasts together from New England and drive out to VW of America's HQ at Auburn Hills, Michigan in May '96 where the inaugural Gene Berg Memorial Cruise would be held with the Michigan Vintage VW Club's annual meet. I drove out in my '64 Ghia, and it was a thrill to see Rick with the Berglar there, along with Don B with his Bahama Blue '66, Rick M from AZ in his teal '67, and of course the Berg family.  

My condolences to his wife and surviving family.

Hello, Don- thanks for sharing this sad info to the VW enthusiast world. Roland from NY.
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 07:14:27 am »

Donny, thanks for sharing with us. I am very sad to hear these news. I have had the pleasure of meeting Rick a couple of times during my visits to California.
My condolences to his family

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: