The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 17:33:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  1966 Cal Look Beetle on Bring a Trailer sold to a friend of mine...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1966 Cal Look Beetle on Bring a Trailer sold to a friend of mine...  (Read 2460 times)
Martin S.

« on: August 24, 2022, 22:27:31 pm »

This 66 is a nice car and looks good up close. My friend bought it and had it shipped to Toronto this summer. Apparently it was built with a DKP-inspired look and specs. All that is hunky-dory but I thought I'd ask your opinion about the engine. Is it typical of the DKP cars to have an alternator? I thought it should have a generator as alts were not around until later? I just happen to have a NOS reman Bosch 12V generator with push-on terminals sitting around that I think belongs on his car. AmIright? Also it still has a stock shifter in it. Uggh. Is that typical of DKP at the time, or should it have the Berg shifter I have sitting around as well. Please let me know your opinions of these two burning questions, thanks!

Here's a link to his ride:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-volkswagen-beetle-61/

Also a pic of my NOS generator that maybe should be on his engine. (If I'm right, pls let me know what I should charge him for the generator, thanks)

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 08:17:16 am »

There is nothing 'DKP' about this car other than it's a Volkswagen!  Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Martin S.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 14:52:02 pm »

Lol ok thanks for the opinion on the car. It wasn’t sold as a DKP car or copy of one either. Sorry for the confusion.
Any other thoughts about my questions? I looked at the pics online of the DKP cars and they do use both alts and gens but which is preferred? I like the clean look of the generators.

And I’m right about the Berg shifter. It should have one!  Grin

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 18:42:47 pm »

TBH, early cars had generators as there was no alternative. These days, it's personal choice - people who don't mind their batteries going flat run a generator, people who want to drive anytime anywhere run an alternator!  Grin

As for shifters, I guess Berg are without doubt the most popular, although I personally prefer VS shifters.

Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 19:32:21 pm »

Really? The 30A gen is that much lower power compared to a 50A alt? Was that a problem back in the day when all VWs had gens? I haven’t had that problem with my low mile all-original 68 with a gen but I’ve upgraded all my cars bulbs to LED, primarily for safety, so maybe that helps me. My turbo car has a shit alt that barely charges (max 12.5 V) as it’s difficult to RnR on that motor and that car doesn’t have any problem starting the big high cr engine. It’s only a problem if I run my electric cooler with it not running.

As for the shifter I’m installing a VS shifter right now! It was an impulse buy at a show when I was told it could get rid of the annoying buzz in my Berg shifter as it has the “Porsche-style” urethane bushing at the ball end. Here’s hoping it works! I love the adjustable CNC shifter base! (I drive my cars everywhere and my other modern vehicle is a bicycle).

andrewlandon67

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 19:42:36 pm »

Really? The 30A gen is that much lower power compared to a 50A alt? Was that a problem back in the day when all VWs had gens? I haven’t had that problem with my low mile all-original 68 with a gen but I’ve upgraded all my cars bulbs to LED, primarily for safety, so maybe that helps me. My turbo car has a shit alt that barely charges (max 12.5 V) as it’s difficult to RnR on that motor and that car doesn’t have any problem starting the big high cr engine. It’s only a problem if I run my electric cooler with it not running.

As for the shifter I’m installing a VS shifter right now! It was an impulse buy at a show when I was told it could get rid of the annoying buzz in my Berg shifter as it has the “Porsche-style” urethane bushing at the ball end. Here’s hoping it works! I love the adjustable CNC shifter base! (I drive my cars everywhere and my other modern vehicle is a bicycle).

Definitely give us your impressions of the VS shifter, I've been considering swapping my Berg 12 inch Curved for one of the VS 14" as the Berg's T handle isn't very comfortable and is a bit of a reach for me, plus I have also had issues with the aforementioned "buzzing" at steady RPMs.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Martin S.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 19:52:37 pm »

Sure Andrew, I’m gonna take it out now and see if I got lucky and can find the gears!
I was constantly playing with the position of the Berg to minimize the buzz while driving.

One thing crossed my mind about my charging problem. Has anyone tried removing that plastic square cover on the Bosch alt (built-in reg) where the idiot light wire goes with the 4 screws? Wondering if I can try swapping in a new plastic thing only to fix the charging problem and save me having to do the difficult alt replacement on this particular car.

Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 21:20:44 pm »

Oh my goodness! Now that’s a nice shifter!! Cheesy
Proving that you need to shake it up every 30 years or so.

Firstly I had no problem installing and centering it. Drop it in, give it a wiggle and snug it down. Perfect!
Next impression was that I like the position much better than the Berg. I think my Berg was the regular bend 12” from the looks of it.
It’s much further back and more comfortable without having to reach. From what I’m used to with my Berg, to me it now looks like it’s in 2nd when it’s actually in neutral.
I’ve posted a pic of it compared with the VS side-by-side out of the car. A few days ago I took a pic of the Berg in the car so later I’ll get a pic of the VS from the same angle for you to see how it compares.
Then I tried driving just around the block since rush hour is starting here and I’m downtown.
Shifting seems smoother, easier and less clunky. And no, my Berg wasn’t old and neglected. Last season I attempted to get rid of the buzz by redoing the shift rod bushings as well as disassembling the Berg (as per his instructions). I removed the shift rod, replaced front and back bushings and re-greased everything. I lubed the Berg base using ceramic grease from Tamiya RC meant for plastic on metal bushes. For the ball joint I used the sticky red grease to help dampen any vibration. Put it all back together and boom! There’s that @&$&”$) buzz still there! Still happy I did that work as it needed it after the decades since I last did it.
The other improvement is that it feels more solid in my hand with less engine vibration. Maybe it’s the Porsche-style bushing.
I adjusted the base tension to zero and snugged it down. Nice.
I’ve included a pic of the VS model info from the box. The red indicates it has the Porsche-style bushing and it has the CNC adjustable base.
One more stickie for my quarter window. Now I realize I need to find that vintage Berg sticker I have somewhere as there are plenty of their parts on my ride.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 21:29:28 pm by Martin S. » Logged

andrewlandon67

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 03:29:48 am »

I appreciate the update! I love my Berg shifter, but it's a bit much in a street car, being a 60% throw reduction.
How does the Subaru-style reverse lockout feel?

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 08:26:48 am »

Really? The 30A gen is that much lower power compared to a 50A alt? Was that a problem back in the day when all VWs had gens?
I was joking...  Wink

Martin S.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 15:33:35 pm »

Really? The 30A gen is that much lower power compared to a 50A alt? Was that a problem back in the day when all VWs had gens?
I was joking...  Wink

Ok, whew, made me wince to hear that! When I'm joking or being sarcastic these days, I try to remember to put a lol at the beginning or end of the comment, might work for you!

Martin S.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 16:00:26 pm »

I appreciate the update! I love my Berg shifter, but it's a bit much in a street car, being a 60% throw reduction.
How does the Subaru-style reverse lockout feel?

I'm not sure how the throw reduction compares between the two shifters, or if my Berg is a 40% or 60% (I need to look for the invoice). But I like this new shifter's throw, just right!
The reverse lock out works perfectly. Although I haven't owned one, it looks the same as Scat or Hurst VW shifters where you pull up to get reverse. There is a barely perceptible feeling going back to neutral from reverse (not the snap feeling). Perfect!
Looking forward to driving it more, and plan to head out on the highway on Saturday.

Martin S.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 22:14:42 pm »

Did a long drive Sat. on the highway and thru burbs in Mississauga and love this shifter! Buzz is completely gone too. Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: