The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:17:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  machining down cilinders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: machining down cilinders  (Read 1833 times)
nicolas

« on: November 23, 2022, 14:04:14 pm »

from a quick mock up with a 78 crank and porsche length rods I come to a deckhight that is minus 3mm (roughly). I want to measure it and then machine the cilinders down. how do you do it? from the top (head side) or bottom. I would prefer the bottom side, but want to be sure and most of all have the insights of what I don't want to overlook when doing this.

also, who sells CrMO 8mm that are the correct length? or are the ones mostly available have the 3-5mm extra tread I am needing? I remember cutting the ones from cb on my 2276 and I think not much tread was left...

thank you!
richie

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 19:00:06 pm »

We cut them at top and bottom depending on what we want to do[example if head is flycut a lot i like to cut some off top of cylinder], and also if you just cut at bottom there is a chance you end up between fins where cylinder is thinnest so not much seating surface.
Scat sell stock length chromoly head studs  Smiley 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 09:15:22 am »

OK thanks. yes ending up between the fins would not look good. that is something I need to consider. and thanks for the tip on the head studs. I will need a set for sure. the engine will not be wider than stock.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: