The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 22:36:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Mechanical Brake Light Switch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mechanical Brake Light Switch  (Read 1369 times)
JezWest

« on: December 21, 2022, 21:28:00 pm »

I want to install a mechanical brake light switch so that my brake lights (1972 RHD 1200 Beetle) come on as soon as the pedal starts to move, rather than once brake pressure has built up. My current best idea is to try to replicate what Porsche used on some 911/912/914 models (sorry, I don't know much 911 history to identify that better). This is the best picture I found:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I've found that switch (part number 91161341101 I believe) available in a couple of places (not cheap!). I'll have to come up with a bracket design and get that fabricated and mounted in some way to avoid the clutch pedal, which is right next to the brake pushrod. The switch looks interesting - there's a grub screw with a locknut - I guess that allows some adjustment so the switch opens pretty soon after the pedal moves?

Has anyone tried to do this? Any suggestions / advice?

It was nothing to do with me...
ibg

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 22:13:54 pm »

There's a bloke on the Samba who makes a kit for this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061

though I'm sure you could DIY. I'd look for a generic micro switch rather that a porsche part  Wink
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 07:37:38 am »

I vaguely remember a friend having an old Fiesta which had a switch on the pedal - as the pedal moved down it released the switch and the lights came on. The issue was that the tab on the pedal had bent so when the pedal returned, it didn't turn them off again. I guess a Fiesta part would be cheaper than a 911 one!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: