The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:22:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  Floorpan Fuel Hard-line Fittings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Floorpan Fuel Hard-line Fittings  (Read 1762 times)
Andy

« on: January 04, 2023, 13:40:45 pm »

Hi , I am planning to fit new fuel hardline through the floorpan tunnel.. of my street and strip project.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I found this photo online, which is the way I was thinking of having the lines coming out , I plan to have an electric fuel pump under the tank.

I have seen several pans in this stage, I presume they go back to the owners to be finished off with whatever fittings they choose to use.

My question is , what would be a good way to attach AN fittings to the end of the lines , would you use compression fittings or flare the lines. Would the lines need support where they exit the frame head.

Regarding materials would Kunifer( copper nickel alloy) be ok to use in this situation or would it need to be stainless steel . And would 8mm 5/16" be big enough. Bearing in mind performance goals may change.

Thanks.
ibg

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 22:30:26 pm »

a few thoughts.
I did larger holes in the pan so I could use grommets around the lines. (see photo) I have used steel brake line (Bundy tube) and aluminium both with flared fittings. I'm a bit leery about the compression fittings with olives (I nearly used them, see photo) . Kunifer is also easy to flare like aluminium and Bundy but I don't know how it goes with fuel.
Stainless looks lovely but is much harder to bend and flare
I ran 5/16 with 160 hp. I've now got 3/8 for a bit more in reserve  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 22:37:24 pm by ibg » Logged
sonic

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 18:09:14 pm »

.. then again with E 85 your sure with stainless Smiley
Rgs
Andy

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 21:46:39 pm »

Earls have a video on YouTube talking through the hard-line choices, they call Kunifer 'easy form' but say it is suitable for E85, ethanol , alcohol and race fuels, the answer is in the comments.

Ibg, did you flare the lines after you fitted them to the pan, if so what tool did you use.
Did the aluminium stand up to being unsupported at the connections.

I can see stainless being the best choice but I will have to look into buying another flaring tool and possibly a tube bender . Kunifer still seems to be the easier option.

Do you still use -6 fitting with the 3/8 hardline.
ibg

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 00:29:48 am »

Andy, yes Kunifer is easy to bend and flare I have used it for brake lines. The aluminium tubes got pushed back into the pan after flaring so a lot less was unsupported. So far all good. I used AN6 aluminium fitting with the 3/8 tube.
here's a photo of my old 37deg flaring tool. It works great on Aluminium and Bundy so it would also be good for Kunifer
PPRMicke

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 10:05:32 am »

Hi
From experience with aluminum and E85
So it's not a good choice (but you're the one who builds the car)
The way I learned it was that the filters in the injectors were sealed with aluminum
In my old car, I had it changed to stainless, so the problem with the filter disappeared
I would think there are more people who have this problem, but have not understood that it is the pipes that are the problem
You should think twice about advertising
/// Micke
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: