The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:46:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  70's Ca Look Dashes - whats your favourite ???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 70's Ca Look Dashes - whats your favourite ???  (Read 35381 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: November 22, 2007, 00:55:47 am »

Hey guys as the title says - Whats your favourite dash board style for a 70's Cal Looker  Huh

Stock with guages  Huh Plexiglass Huh Smooth/filled Huh Aluinuim  Huh keep the glove box or not  Huh

I was thinking about a Goss style "Smooth/filled" dash for PROJECT 66

Here's a little pic I came across of a car using JET COCKPIT GUAGES  Grin

Let me know what you think guys - I will be looking forward to hear what you guys think  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:43:02 am »

if you want a nice setup for your jetgauges, try to look up peaches and scream. that was nicely done to say the least.

still one of my favorite ones is lee gongs dash not 70's but could have been done then. and of course dave rhoads and kanase's dashes are a feast for the eye as well

i think that is my top3 of today
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:22:44 am »

I agree – Dave Rhoads' dash is very cool. Imagine, instead of black vinyl, though, you had a red plaid insert to match the India Red paint. Damn, there I go again!  Kiss

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 10:32:22 am »

I agree – Dave Rhoads' dash is very cool. Imagine, instead of black vinyl, though, you had a red plaid insert to match the India Red paint. Damn, there I go again!  Kiss

remeber you bought a blue car, not a red one. that is something for next month  Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 19:47:34 pm »

remeber you bought a blue car, not a red one. that is something for next month  Grin

Na he's just trying to drop SUBTLE hints AGAIN Roll Eyes Kiss Smiley

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 22:17:46 pm »

definitely, dave rhoads's dash if you wanna go for that vinyl look!!
but who does that these days? i mean i would love to have a dash like that, and then i wouldn't not have difficulties cutting apart the stock dashboard  Grin
otherwise, i don't know... but i will post if i come across a really cool dash.  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
jick

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 22:56:47 pm »

i think that the Goss dash is the coolest in that kinda style.....

the jet guages are perfect, but for me the layout of the guages in that pic are a bit too "busy" 

just in a line looks great.

Cheesepanzer

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 23:12:26 pm »

Here's what I did to the dash of my '70 bug back in the mid-80's.  It was cool at the time - I wouldn't cut up a dash today.

I ran a Porsche 914 150mph speedo and some VDO gauges with an Autometer Sport Comp tach in the center.  I made that tach mount as well.

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Lee.C

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 23:27:01 pm »

i think that the Goss dash is the coolest in that kinda style.....

the jet guages are perfect, but for me the layout of the guages in that pic are a bit too "busy" 

just in a line looks great.

Agreed dude  Wink that dash is FAR to busy and Goss's is my favourite too  Smiley great minds dude  Smiley

Here's what I did to the dash of my '70 bug back in the mid-80's.  It was cool at the time - I wouldn't cut up a dash today.

I ran a Porsche 914 150mph speedo and some VDO gauges with an Autometer Sport Comp tach in the center.  I made that tach mount as well.

What is it they say - Anyone can restore a car but it takes a real man to chop one up  Wink Smiley

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 01:20:29 am »

They can all look good. As long as there isnt any gauges sprouting from, or hanging off the dash, its all good by me Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 01:22:42 am »

They can all look good. As long as there isnt any gauges sprouting from, or hanging off the dash, its all good by me Grin

Here Here! Wink Smiley Keep the guages in the dash cos thats what its for Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 01:27:45 am »

if you want a nice setup for your jetgauges, try to look up peaches and scream. that was nicely done to say the least.

still one of my favorite ones is lee gongs dash not 70's but could have been done then. and of course dave rhoads and kanase's dashes are a feast for the eye as well

i think that is my top3 of today

here's the only picture I have found - does anyone have a better one  Huh

nicolas

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 08:29:34 am »

i will do my best to install the scanner and put up a better one. this weekend

Neil Davies

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 09:52:43 am »

I'd run smooth versions of the speaker grilles with two 52mm gauges in the small one and three (one 80mm, two 52mm) in the larger one. Keep the glovebox and radio slot, or maybe cover it in perspex like the Aronson '63. That way you can swap and change without major work from perspex to aluminium to vinyl padded!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bryan67

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 23:32:17 pm »

The dash on my old car. Previous owner installed an aluminum baja dash trimmed out for the glovebox and rivited in place with VDP gauges and a Pioneer Supertuner cassete deck.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
nicolas

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 20:19:37 pm »

here it is. peaches and scream dash

Lee.C

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 01:29:39 am »

Wow cheers dude - you installed your scaner just for me  Kiss Wink Smiley

Just one thing though is it just me or shouldn't the owner/builder have lined up the radio control kobs a bit better  Roll Eyes Wink Smiley
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 01:48:21 am by monkiboy » Logged

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 01:52:01 am »

Just one thing though is it just me or shouldn't the owner/builder have lined up the radio control kobs a bit better  Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

That is an easy fix, just leave out the radio. It is just dead weight anyway.  Wink

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Lee.C

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 02:03:02 am »

yep too right dude  Wink Smiley

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 18:53:28 pm »

plus you're not supposed to hear the radio with the engine you're hoping to build  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 19:03:35 pm »

Kind find pics of my old dash but i have i'll post but i filled in the complete dash and installed VDO night design meters with an Autometer monster tach,kept the glove box Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
nicolas

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 19:22:27 pm »

no problem i only need to make the scans better  Wink

(mike said something ablout it to fabs, but i can't figure it out rightaway, it is an aldi scanner...)

the knobs are a bit off, because of the flashlight and maybe the lens as it is a wideangle. i would keep the glovebox with a dash that has the same colour as the car. with a padded dash it is different as it 'fills' the dash otherwise. besides if the radio breaks or you want a different one you need to redo the dash completely.

but the layout if the two clocks in front of the steeringwheel is a nice though.

Lee.C

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 17:04:04 pm »

well I spent a bout 3 hours in the garage last night with lots of paper templates and a pencil and rubber and I THINK I have my dash layout sorted - Like I said "I THINK"

So lets have some more pic's guys to see if I have the Right Look  Wink Smiley

Neil Davies

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 11:28:40 am »

Just decided on my dash layout for the '70 - the radio slot has been so badly hacked and there are that many holes in it that I've had the idea of cutting it all out (leaving the glovebox) and plating it up, then fitting a full set of 5 Porsche 911 gauges. Reckon that'll work?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 13:09:57 pm »

Well, porsche jauges is a good idea, but 911 rpm jauge won't work with a 4 cyl motor, you'd better get a 914/912 one...

This is a shitty picture of my dash (blue car on the left), don't have a better one right now...

914 jauges placed on a rhd glovebox shaped piece of metal...

Glitter don't make you faster.
Neil Davies

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 13:42:56 pm »

Well, porsche jauges is a good idea, but 911 rpm jauge won't work with a 4 cyl motor, you'd better get a 914/912 one...

Nice dash, I like it! I should have thought about the 4cyl / 6cyl thing! I thought the five gauges from the 911 would look cooler than the 3 from the 912. Looks like I'm going to have to mix and match!

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 19:59:53 pm »

awesome roland!
i've been stalking lee every day we met last summer about me going to make my dash look like that!

please send me a pic! i'm stoked to see how you made that fit on a glovebox.  Grin
i'm so gonna do this for real now  Wink
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 15:09:32 pm by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Lee.C

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 23:58:05 pm »

Some very very cool dash ideas there guys - Like I said I only THINK I have mine finalised  Wink Smiley

There might be a vw interior light sneeking it's way in there somewhere Shocked Wink Smiley

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 01:40:01 am »

awesome roland!
i've been stalking lee every day with met last summer about me going to make my dash look like that!

please send me a pic! i'm stoked to see how you made that fit on a glovebox.  Grin
i'm so gonna do this for real now  Wink

Well it's not a real glovebox lid, just a piece of metal shaped like one. Before I took the car apart, it all was held together with window putty, not that clean. So i'll have to make it cleaner then!

Most probably will weld threaded rods on the backplate to fix it to the dash, and then there's still the problem with the jauges, so maybe a pieceof threaded rod on them too and a U shaped piece of metal, like vdo jauges...

Is that clear? damn it's late...
Still i'll make pics nest week if you want.

Glitter don't make you faster.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 07:56:47 am »

cool!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: