The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 07:12:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351059 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  empi 8
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: empi 8  (Read 10365 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« on: November 25, 2007, 16:08:22 pm »

single real empi 8 for sale on ebay very cheap http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/empi-wheel-vintage-empi-vw-dune-buggy-vw-oval-vw-split_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140747QQihZ010QQitemZ200176872980QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 20:47:13 pm »

i love their looks and i would definitely fancy a set of them in goldie on my '67.
but i don't wanna lose a wheel on the motorway.

p.s. you wouldn't have another photo of ed craig's 51 split with the 8 spokes apart from the one with the surfers, would you?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 20:52:13 pm »

i will watch  tomorrow , i've one but in b/w  Wink

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:50:31 am »

i love their looks and i would definitely fancy a set of them in goldie on my '67.

p.s. you wouldn't have another photo of ed craig's 51 split with the 8 spokes apart from the one with the surfers, would you?

Do it dude - 14's on the front 15's on the back  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 14:13:10 pm »

here we go , that's ed craig split , but at the time when the car had the empi8 that was tony decruif who owned the car
enjoy diederick  Wink

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 16:21:08 pm »

Thats what I was thinking... but the 14's wont work with drop spindles Sad

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 16:51:14 pm »

on my ex daily driver i had 14 at the front and 15 at rear but no drop spindles  Roll Eyes

nicolas

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 17:50:16 pm »

i have 15's all way round and i have driven on the freeway, still got all four of them... what seems to be the problem with them. i know they are not as strong as a steel wheel, but otherwise...

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 17:58:34 pm »

diederick i ran on my empi 8,  before 2 or 3 years every days /all seasons , never had any problems

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 03:27:15 am »

but is it worth the gamble? there was a set of 14s and 15s on here that were cracked as well...
damn people you got me trapped here  Cheesy

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
nicolas

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 09:56:10 am »

but is it worth the gamble? there was a set of 14s and 15s on here that were cracked as well...
damn people you got me trapped here  Cheesy

the cracked ones can be welded, but i want mine to be as good as possible. for understandable reasons, but ithink Felix/dfl is selling some 15's and 14's. i was interessted, but with the large brakes i can not run 14's... maybe it is something right up your alley.

Turtle001

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 10:16:28 am »

mmmm empis -- not for me anymore at this moment (still in shock after what happened)  -- i'm very happy i got the ET's now

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
nicolas

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 12:34:48 pm »

what happened? i have heard the story of john rayburn of an exploding back half, did this happen to you too? and i have only seen empi5's break, how about 8 spokes? do they break as well?

nicolas
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 12:39:37 pm »

christian from dfl has some problem this year with is 8 spoke , he's selling those one http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3034.0.html

Turtle001

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 14:32:45 pm »

hey nicolas -- one of my empi's just exploded -- if you r coming to the freddy files i'll show you the result of an exploding empi -- you don't believe your eyes if you see it

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 14:43:58 pm »

hey gerome , last year at freddy files i remember  Wink

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 15:40:07 pm »

what happened? i have heard the story of john rayburn of an exploding back half, did this happen to you too? and i have only seen empi5's break, how about 8 spokes? do they break as well?

nicolas
Hi Nicolas There are early and Late Empi 5 Spokes and Empi 8 Spokes  The Difference is the Early wheels had less Ribs in the Backs of the spokes and were cast thinner which are more Prone to Cracking, Empi added a Center Rib behind the Spokes of both 5 and 8 spokes the 8 Spokes that have the Center Rib are Stronger but I have also seen them Crack but not often, on the 8 spokes it is most of the time a rookie trying to put a tire on with the wheel bolted together, In the 70's I had a flat on an 8 Spoke I took it to a Tire shop and left it for a repair when I returned I found my wheel still sitting there still with a flat tire it seems the guy put the wheel on the tire machine the old type with the cone in the center and when he went to break the bottom bead it pushed the wheel up and broke three spokes on the wheel Angry  the only good thing was back in the mid 70's the wheels were easier to find and the tire shop gave me $150.00 for damages so I did end up coming out ok, I found another wheel for $60.00 then had to get the ring polished needless to say I did Not Go Back to that tire shop. A Lesson Learned Grin Grin look at the picture to see the difference also look how thin the spokes are on the early wheel Shocked Shocked Shocked  Even The Back of the center Hub is Different
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 17:19:05 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 17:11:48 pm »

thanks for the info gary  Wink i don't know there's 2 models like the 5 spokes

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 17:42:16 pm »

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE!
Something you might not Know Back when I was in DVB with Frenchy in 1975 Frenchy and Friend Bob Lillegard Cast The First One Piece Empi 8 Spoke Repop they were called Lillegards these are the only repop  8 Spoke that have the same offset as the Originals the centers remained like the American Eagle Version counter sunk lugs and push in caps the spokes were skinner like the Originals you dont see many anymore

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Felix/DFL

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 18:09:28 pm »

christian from dfl has some problem this year with is 8 spoke , he's selling those one http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3034.0.html

Hi, those are the same as I offered before for Christian/DFL. Now we offered them under his Account...

I think it is essential how the welding is carried out. Christian gave 2 wheels away for welding and sadly one cracked again. So it looks that some people know how to change tire or weld a mag and some don`t...

As Christian is know as Mr. 100% perfect he didn`t want to weld them again.Sadly !!! cause those spyder mags looked very cool on his 66 now he runs the early fuchs again which even looks very *tits*  Wink but there are hundert of other white bugs with fuchs on this planet...

I think with a better skiled welder they could be saved easily cause the overall condition is very nice !

Very interisting that those ( spokes are getting more in the spot and people looking after them. 5 Years before most of the people in Europe wouldn`t even know that there is an orig. 8 spoke and not yust this repro crap...

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 18:11:22 pm by Felix/DFL » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 18:20:21 pm »

i bought my first set in 98/99  Cool

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 19:51:10 pm »

even though i love the love the look of christian's spyder mags, i'm more inclined to opt for fuchs in the size you mentioned.
but you already knew this  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 19:53:33 pm »

Fuchs are over done.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 20:09:09 pm »

very true, but at least i'm not going for the 4.5 and 5.5 combo.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Felix/DFL

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 20:44:48 pm »

or go with some riveras  !  Cool
Even very cool and uncommon wheels...
nicolas

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 21:09:00 pm »

or go with some riveras  !  Cool
Even very cool and uncommon wheels...

hey you dont need to give all the good ideas away !  Grin

to tell you guys the truth i could have bought my empi8's about 400 euros less if i liked them 3 years ago... i just didn't like all the spokes. i seriously was unhappy that a fastback never came with 5 lug wheels (well never...) and that is was kinda stuck with the 4 bolt option. the wheels were at a ondoor swapmeet here in belgium and at the end of the weekend someone snatched them up by giving a low bid on them... i am sure everybody here on the lounge that went to the wintermeeting in Mol a couple years back walked several times past them,like me.  Undecided
so after a while i opted for a set of riviera's, that are still on the square. and still up for sale as i am finishing of some riviera's without the square on the spokes as we speak. anyway that was for a long time the option for my fastback as well, but then one day i saw some nice 8 spokes. they were not the black ones or the fully polished ones but the ones with the rough spokes and polished lips. that actuallly looked good. and on my first and only trip to BBT... (go figure) i saw a set of 8 spokes but with painted ribs in gold. gold ribs on a brown car.... that can come out good was my thought and i quickly calculated that i could spend almost 700 euros on 'new' copies from other wheels, or spend a little more on original rims that aren't seen everyday and best of all would look good on the type3.
so now i have become a 8 spoke lover and i really like cars with them. that is why i burned a big hole in my wallet buying a second set i normally couldn't afford... doesn't matter as i am quite happy with them. i have been thinking of putting them on the square as well, but i thinki will keep them for now as a spare set and keep the riviera's on the square. those rims are underappreciated IMHO and look very good under a late model as well.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: