The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:40:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  rear shock absorbers strap limitation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: rear shock absorbers strap limitation  (Read 4585 times)
wolfswest

« on: February 14, 2008, 15:18:30 pm »

Somebody advised me to install some sort of straps on the rear-shock absorbers to prevent negative camber on the rear wheels when braking or when you stop pushing the right pedal…  Cheesy
Does somebody has experience with these tools on a street car, positive or negative remarks?

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, here is a picture a “stole” from a dutch forum.  Thx to MartijnC!

Dem

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 15:39:05 pm by wolfswest » Logged

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 06:45:28 am »

Hello,
 Firstly the straps limit positive camber when you lift on the big end the rear end wants to unload causing the contact patch between tire and road to become smaller this can cause loss of control and often times flips. Most run 12" or 13" straps. Hope this helps.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
lawrence

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 07:06:56 am »

I have been thinking about purchasing a camber compensator or limit straps for my beetle. How do these straps react in turns and normal driving? Who has experience with a camber compensator?? Thanks

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
wolfswest

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 08:48:21 am »

Hello,
 Firstly the straps limit positive camber when you lift on the big end the rear end wants to unload causing the contact patch between tire and road to become smaller this can cause loss of control and often times flips. Most run 12" or 13" straps. Hope this helps.

That is what I mean, but difficult to explain in an other language...  But what happens when you brake very hard?

Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 17:47:58 pm »

Hello,

That is what I mean, but difficult to explain in an other language...  But what happens when you brake very hard?

On the Strip, with Slicks, braking hard, you will most surely end up on the Roof... Wink

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
jr59

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 17:53:10 pm »

Hello,
Even if I think that 13" will be OK,Well you first have to check with a jack when your car begin to get a positiv camber then you can determine your lenght!
Using flop stop is also a good and simple solution

wolfswest

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:40:13 am »

Hello,
Even if I think that 13" will be OK,Well you first have to check with a jack when your car begin to get a positiv camber then you can determine your lenght!
Using flop stop is also a good and simple solution

Can somebody give me more info on the "flop stops"  or other solutions?  I want to make my car more safe when I loose my foot of the trottle @ high speeds...

Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:46:30 am »

I used the Bugpack "flop stops" on my race car - just a simple bracket that bolts to the bottom oedge of the springplate. Purpose is, as said above, to stop the wheels tucking under when coming off the throttle. I made som enquiries about using them on the street and was told it wasn't a good idea as for street driving you are effectively limiting the suspension in one direction and over bumps, potholes etc the car ends up dropping into holes rather than the suspension doing its job. The person said that it was the most scared they had been in their car! Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
wolfswest

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 16:08:10 pm »

I used the Bugpack "flop stops" on my race car - just a simple bracket that bolts to the bottom oedge of the springplate. Purpose is, as said above, to stop the wheels tucking under when coming off the throttle. I made som enquiries about using them on the street and was told it wasn't a good idea as for street driving you are effectively limiting the suspension in one direction and over bumps, potholes etc the car ends up dropping into holes rather than the suspension doing its job. The person said that it was the most scared they had been in their car! Shocked

OK, not a good idea to use these things on a streetcar...  Undecided  mmm

Neil Davies

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 16:47:24 pm »

If you use them on the strip they're a really good idea, just take them off before you drive home! If you've got the rear wheels off for changing slicks back to street tyres, you could undo them then!  Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:14:02 am »

I run 13" straps on my car at all times on the street or strip. It doesn't completely take away down travel just lilmits it hence the name limiting straps. A little positive camber is ok just not the excessive amounts you get with stock suspension. My oppinion. If I jack my car off the ground the spring plate is a little over 1/4" from the perch. 
                                                                                             Jason Foster

Der Kleiner Panzers
wolfswest

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 08:59:36 am »

I run 13" straps on my car at all times on the street or strip. It doesn't completely take away down travel just lilmits it hence the name limiting straps. A little positive camber is ok just not the excessive amounts you get with stock suspension. My oppinion. If I jack my car off the ground the spring plate is a little over 1/4" from the perch. 
                                                                                             Jason Foster

jason, if I understand you correctly you made your straps a little bit longer then the shocks when they are under the car...  I'm a correct?

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 01:16:33 am »

that is correct I have a small amount of uptravel if the car is lifted with a jack.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: