The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:14:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  jim moore notchback
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: jim moore notchback  (Read 13071 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 20:52:16 pm »

yeah jims notch is sweet BUT I wanna know more about this green bug  Wink Smiley
pm sent  Wink

Nothing yet dude  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 20:53:41 pm »

on your yahoo mail box

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 20:54:13 pm »

I just found it - cheers dude  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 21:24:20 pm »

I was pretty good friends with Jim back then. The car was awesome, He was a fabricator for Dennis Aase's personal hobby shop. The Aase's owned a Porsche junkyard & Dennis Aase was a driver for To#¤ta in the IMSA series in the 80's. I remember in Dennis's shop in about 85 or so there was a 934, an Allard of some sort & a few other cool cars that I cannot remember. I sat in the 934 it was pretty cool. As for the Notch he drove it up to about 87 or 88 & sold it to my friend Glenn Gaskey. He drove it, it was stolen, recovered and sold to Japan along with many other cars of the time. When you look @ the photos, remember these were our only cars back then. Jim's car was fully detailed top & bottom & it was driven daily. Jim was also friends with Steve Saleen and he was the production manger for the assembly of the Saleen Mustangs for many years.  Danny Gabbard is another story... Later  Bill

Bill, the Allard was a Cad-Allard, the 934 was bitchen but do you remember the the Al Holbert, Lowenbrau 962? That shop was fun to visit and there was ALWAYS something cool to see. The notchback was badass. The pictures do not do the car justice. Jimmy did an absolutely bitchen job on that car. The seats were an Australian Ostritch skin with cloth inserts, same for the door panels and all the plastic items (dash pad, z-bars were all tan to match) The engine compartment, rear subframe 901 installation along with the rear valance treatment (louvered for more air) were all very tasteful. Just look a the pics, I could go on forever. I drove the car for a while and changed the drive train configuration around a couple of times. But returned it to it's glory before it went to Japan. In my opinion, the VERY BEST type III and one of the very best cal look cars ever produced. Glenn

Cool car, Type 3's always seemed like luxury cars to drive as opposed to a Type 1. Quieter inside, more compliant ride, feels more sure footed on the highway, no slowing down for a Santa Ana breeze. Cruised a 1968 Squareback with a nice 1776 I built in the early 1990's, compared to my wasserboxer Vanagon, it was a sports car. The Two front fender humps had a certain 911-esque quality to them from the driver's seat. Should have put some arm in that motor.
Anyway, a friend of mine (kafer cup Derek) and I went to Aase Bros one day when we were playing hookie and drove all night to OC to visit Andial and other place where we didn't belong. Funny, we walk into Andial, and everywhere there is exotic shit... RSR twin plug heads and distributors, high-butterly injector stacks, slide-valve throttle bodies, 4 cam cylinder heads...we were drooling a gallon-per-second in that place. Somehow, Derek's polish and charm got us a tour.... "Yes, yes, Jerry Woods sent us to take a tour of your facility..." (BS)...."We were just at his shop last week viewing the restoration of the Donohue 917" (true, but it wasn't like we were invited)....so this German guy named Helmut or Franz or something says "Ah yes....Jareee...how ist he? How ist zee 9-one-seven coming along? Zank you for stopping in to see us... would you like to see zee shop und showroom?" So he takes us around the shop, dyno room, there's a 959 up on a lift getting "zee servist" and a 3.0RSR motor on the dyno, 930 Turbos everywhere....my head was spinning.
Later that day we found Aase Bros shop, in a neighborhood or something, and inside there was an ivory 356B Carrera, just parked in the showroom, no ropes around it, decklid open, showing off 4-cam motor.... too cool. The whole weekend was like that, except for staying at some truly awful health hazard of a motel near Katella...."Pioneer Inn" I think it was called. The rooms were whistling with wild cockroaches, the pool was police taped off and had WARNING signs posted by health dept (something about a sea monster lived in there that was born of algae and smog). The place put a damper on an otherwise nice outing.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 21:32:48 pm »

The whole weekend was like that, except for staying at some truly awful health hazard of a motel near Katella...."Pioneer Inn" I think it was called. The rooms were whistling with wild cockroaches, the pool was police taped off and had WARNING signs posted by health dept (something about a sea monster lived in there that was born of algae and smog). The place put a damper on an otherwise nice outing.

Great story, Jim. Too bad that the swimming pool wasn't empty. If you find any... lemme know. (coughSKATEBOARDcough)

Thanks!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 00:50:21 am »

I was pretty good friends with Jim back then. The car was awesome, He was a fabricator for Dennis Aase's personal hobby shop. The Aase's owned a Porsche junkyard & Dennis Aase was a driver for To#¤ta in the IMSA series in the 80's. I remember in Dennis's shop in about 85 or so there was a 934, an Allard of some sort & a few other cool cars that I cannot remember. I sat in the 934 it was pretty cool. As for the Notch he drove it up to about 87 or 88 & sold it to my friend Glenn Gaskey. He drove it, it was stolen, recovered and sold to Japan along with many other cars of the time. When you look @ the photos, remember these were our only cars back then. Jim's car was fully detailed top & bottom & it was driven daily. Jim was also friends with Steve Saleen and he was the production manger for the assembly of the Saleen Mustangs for many years.  Danny Gabbard is another story... Later  Bill

Bill, the Allard was a Cad-Allard, the 934 was bitchen but do you remember the the Al Holbert, Lowenbrau 962? That shop was fun to visit and there was ALWAYS something cool to see. The notchback was badass. The pictures do not do the car justice. Jimmy did an absolutely bitchen job on that car. The seats were an Australian Ostritch skin with cloth inserts, same for the door panels and all the plastic items (dash pad, z-bars were all tan to match) The engine compartment, rear subframe 901 installation along with the rear valance treatment (louvered for more air) were all very tasteful. Just look a the pics, I could go on forever. I drove the car for a while and changed the drive train configuration around a couple of times. But returned it to it's glory before it went to Japan. In my opinion, the VERY BEST type III and one of the very best cal look cars ever produced. Glenn

Cool car, Type 3's always seemed like luxury cars to drive as opposed to a Type 1. Quieter inside, more compliant ride, feels more sure footed on the highway, no slowing down for a Santa Ana breeze. Cruised a 1968 Squareback with a nice 1776 I built in the early 1990's, compared to my wasserboxer Vanagon, it was a sports car. The Two front fender humps had a certain 911-esque quality to them from the driver's seat. Should have put some arm in that motor.
Anyway, a friend of mine (kafer cup Derek) and I went to Aase Bros one day when we were playing hookie and drove all night to OC to visit Andial and other place where we didn't belong. Funny, we walk into Andial, and everywhere there is exotic shit... RSR twin plug heads and distributors, high-butterly injector stacks, slide-valve throttle bodies, 4 cam cylinder heads...we were drooling a gallon-per-second in that place. Somehow, Derek's polish and charm got us a tour.... "Yes, yes, Jerry Woods sent us to take a tour of your facility..." (BS)...."We were just at his shop last week viewing the restoration of the Donohue 917" (true, but it wasn't like we were invited)....so this German guy named Helmut or Franz or something says "Ah yes....Jareee...how ist he? How ist zee 9-one-seven coming along? Zank you for stopping in to see us... would you like to see zee shop und showroom?" So he takes us around the shop, dyno room, there's a 959 up on a lift getting "zee servist" and a 3.0RSR motor on the dyno, 930 Turbos everywhere....my head was spinning.
Later that day we found Aase Bros shop, in a neighborhood or something, and inside there was an ivory 356B Carrera, just parked in the showroom, no ropes around it, decklid open, showing off 4-cam motor.... too cool. The whole weekend was like that, except for staying at some truly awful health hazard of a motel near Katella...."Pioneer Inn" I think it was called. The rooms were whistling with wild cockroaches, the pool was police taped off and had WARNING signs posted by health dept (something about a sea monster lived in there that was born of algae and smog). The place put a damper on an otherwise nice outing.

Jim,

The character at Andial was probably Dieter. He ran / co-owned the place I  think. Mike Martinez (Black Magic turbo VW) was a regular there. Dude had a turbo 930 with single KKK turbo, twin plug, semi race motor on the street. It would spin the tires on the freeway. I used to go down there in the early eighties. What a bad ass shop huh?

Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 00:53:42 am »

Jim,

The character at Andial was probably Dieter. He ran / co-owned the place I  think. Mike Martinez (Black Magic turbo VW) was a regular there. Dude had a turbo 930 with single KKK turbo, twin plug, semi race motor on the street. It would spin the tires on the freeway. I used to go down there in the early eighties. What a bad ass shop huh?

Glenn

hey Glenn, yes that may have been his name. Unbelievable shop.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: