The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 09:45:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351059 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  my '72 Corbug cal look streetwarrior: finally on the road, page 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: my '72 Corbug cal look streetwarrior: finally on the road, page 2  (Read 19061 times)
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 21:17:24 pm »

i'm gonna go with what shubee suggested.
i just need to find a darn 67 hood trim  Shocked Angry

Diederick, I might have one... will check for it this weekend...
Jelle

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
wolfswest

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 23:09:18 pm »

Okay,

here is a picure, still in the works a few months ago.  I think I made up my mind:  leave the sidetrim, but remove the chrome in the windowrubbers...  I'm not sure what I should do with the pop outs...  paint it black or leave it...  oh, and the fuchs will get the well known treatment: black and polished.

What are your ideas guys?

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Glauco

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 12:31:23 pm »

seeing the color again, I think what you explained yesterday will indeed look best, just place the callookrubbers and stick with the chrome sidetrim, wil look great IMHO
glauco
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 17:45:06 pm »

All chrome or no chrome. If you leave the side trim, leave the window trim as well. I see you have the early wide running board chrome- Id replace that with the later thin stuff.

Looking good Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
wolfswest

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 18:49:29 pm »

All chrome or no chrome. If you leave the side trim, leave the window trim as well. I see you have the early wide running board chrome- Id replace that with the later thin stuff.

Looking good Wink

I thougt about that too, but unfortunatly there is no way back...  I redrilled the holes to fit the earlier model of sidetrim, so the smaller sidetrim aren't going to cover the "bigger holes"...
ah damn, me and my f*ck*ng resto cal period back in the days...  Grin     But, no worry, head's up!  We are going to make the best of it, trust me!  Cool

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 19:54:35 pm »

hi jelle,
please do let me know  Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
wolfswest

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 10:38:49 am »

the weather this weekend was a blast here in Belgium.  So I took the car out for a spin yesterday for the very first time.  Took a picture, so here it is...  Still need to do some minor detail stuff and paint my fuchs, but most of the work is done!  I got so exited that I blew my dynamo belt off...  Grin  Grin

Glauco

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 12:57:36 pm »

the car realy looks great, and souds great too, scared the hell out of me when you drove in my street Grin
nicolas

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 15:35:02 pm »

by the looks of it allready a chickmagnet, or did you pay them to be in the picture  Wink
wolfswest

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 15:50:28 pm »

by the looks of it allready a chickmagnet, or did you pay them to be in the picture  Wink

Grin  Grin  naa, I did not pay them, but it is a magnet indeed...  Cool  Cheesy

nicolas

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 22:17:19 pm »

good for you.  Grin
Glauco

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

just make sure ellen isn't around when the chicks come running, or she'll go kungfu on all of them, and on you  Grin
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 09:57:00 am »

I believe this one needed an upper! Oh and do not refrain from posting some newer imagery to suit the article for my planned but never to be released mini-mag. For another instalment, check this thread: http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,17336.msg250436.html#msg250436.

Dem! What a Freak.

For a lot of us, buying that first VW was a mistake, not because the ridiculous amount of money we would spend on a hobby revolving around the modern times dinosaurs from that day forward, but rather because we failed in buying the right car.

At first all beetles look alike, why, even when you pick up on quirky details like the big tail lights of a super beetle, you only think about your mum telling you to be safe and you go ahead and consider this a unique selling point. If you’re lucky you can get the experienced feedback of an expert that will tell you that the most wanted beetles are the ones which have split windows in the front (sic) and that motivation better comes from a Porsjhah engine (sic again) lest you want to make some speed.

After buying the wrong car there are usually three options:

1: You never learn and treat your monstrosity as a god gift and, ridiculed by all with a bit of taste and common sense, you soldier on.
2: You learn very fast you’re being ridiculed and sell the car never to look back to that slow, gas guzzling tin of death and buy a sensible family car.
3: You learn and live, meaning you sell your faux pas to the next nitwit newbie and upgrade to a more desirable money pit.

Somewhere in the limbo between those options lies what happened to Dem De Bruyn from Stekene, Belgium. He fell in the trap of buying a young car at the time when Late Lookers were all but in fashion. He then proceeded to make it worse by ageing his car to a pre-66 car, but cutting short on the welding, not erasing the tell tale signs that make his car stand out like a Steven Segal in a sea of Bruce Lee’s: the “croissants” behind the rear quarter windows and the fuel filler flap. After seven long years he did learn his lesson and combined option 2 and 3 into buying a very nice 1963 1500S, more desirable for sure, yet at the same time the perfect family car.

The twist is he has kept the proof of his Original Sin. And in all honesty, Dem has every reason to do so. The car’s a beaut! Originally being a marathon blue ‘72 car in reasonable condition. He proceeded to strip the car completely and when in bare metal he had the aprons replaced so he could run the older front and rear deck lids. The trim holes were kept to sport early fat trim and the body was prepped for a few layers of a Maserati metallic green, a very short-lived escapade into Resto Cal almost to the point of mounting a roofrack.

Almost from the get go it was clear this was going to be a Cal Look car and Cal Look cars need power. And after a costly mishap with a built-by paperweight, an order was made at Steve’s VW shop for a big HP 2179cc engine breathing through a pair of IDA48. Pretty soon the gearbox was to be destroyed during a test run and it was beefed up a notch, but clearly not enough. Just recently, showing off has stripped some of the gears of their teeth and now the rebuilt gearbox has welded gears and a superdiff. Front to back all mechanical parts have painstakingly been cleaned and adjusted to perfection or upgraded. Condition of the engine is monitored through a dash full of VDO Cockpit gauges, complete with trip speedometer.

Slowly this one-car-garage built Looker was entering the show and shine realms. It was in dire need of some essential parts to give it that extra flair. Like the polished Flat Four Fuchs, detailed in semi gloss black by DWS. Special attention needs to go to the replica center caps which had the Proche logo’s machined out to be replaced by the correct full colour Porsche shields, by hand! Then there is the custom diamond stitched full interior with Ompi bucket seats, door panels and luggage tray, some of which were upholstered by Dem’s Mum.

Selling it with a loss or putting even more money in it, stuck between a rock and a hard place. Caving in to peer pressure and the hard scrutinizing of his Frankencar, Dem was forced to acquire an incredible eye for detail. Black Empi GTV steering wheel, covered in Empi leatherette cover, blacked out chrome all around, flat headlight lenses in front of the detailed buckets, working eight-track (on top linked to an Ipod for easier listening), padded dash, and the list goes on and on … And he keeps on adding to it, in true Doctor Detail fashion Dem makes sure that every year he has perfected yet another part of the car. All of this while he will never be able to fix that very first and crucial mistake: he bought the wrong car. The sad thing is even though this is the perfect Cal Look car (except for never having seen an inch of a dragstrip), people will keep on frowning upon this freak. Weird.

Thanks to: idee man pakt "MiderTechnics", "Berto" en "DiDi #5" voor de uitgevoerde werkzaamheden
en ellen en mijn ouders voor de mentale steun tijdens de mentale slooptocht van toch wel 6 a 7 jaar...

Wünderwaffe are Go!
wolfswest

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2012, 14:44:29 pm »

oh boy what a story.  Embarrassed
I almost forgot about this topic, the car sure has developed in the right direction if you ask me, oh and a minor detail: I took it to the strip last year!  Tongue

thx buddy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 14:52:02 pm by wolfswest » Logged

wolfswest

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2012, 14:50:41 pm »

proof!  Wink
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 15:02:13 pm by wolfswest » Logged

wolfswest

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 15:02:04 pm »

and the last one from mister speedwell!

wolfswest

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 15:02:13 pm »

and the last one from mister speedwell!

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: