The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:25:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  What are You Reading?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: What are You Reading?  (Read 42529 times)
Fiatdude

« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2014, 07:34:37 am »

If you like to read -- I have found the most wonderful web site -- -- www.bookbub.com -- it is for ebooks, I've installed kindle for droid on my phone and pad -- you register on the site and select what type of books you're interested in and EVERYDAY you get a email with 3-5 books on it that are offered to you from anywhere from FREE to $3 -- since I'm a book whore anything that is free I grab and occasionally if something for 1 or 2 bucks interests me I'll buy that -- Usually these books are part of series of  books and they are trying to get you hooked so that you'll buy the whole series,,, that has a happened a couple of times to me -- I have one problem is that I'm a speed reader and even when I lower my speed down to really enjoy a book I'm still in the 3-5 pages a minute rate, which means a normal good sized book is finished easily in a day -- -- But with this site I can get all kind of free trash to occupy my mind with LOL -- Yeah I know should be spending more time in the garage, but that usually cost to much money LOL

Latest book that I've read that was really good was INCA by Geoff Micks --

Here is a cool link that shows how many hours are spent reading around the world by country

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Hours-Spent-Reading-Around-the-World.jpg

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
RobtheManx

« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2014, 10:44:48 am »

I am a big war book reader , mainly WW2 .

Favourite reads are , First Light by Goeff Wellum , Nine Lives by Al Deere , Fighter Boys and Bomber Boys by Patrick Bishop . The Mighty Eighth , can't remember the author .

One of the most amazing and brutal books I've read is The Man who Broke into Auschwitz by Denis Avey , an incredibly brave man .

A few years back I read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand , about Louie Zamperini which has just been made into a film by Angelina Jolie , I strongly recommend anyone to read the book before seeing the film .

Cheers , Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
dragvw2180

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2014, 13:20:26 pm »

Lately I realised  how well my turbo system worked that Dave Kawell built and wanted to figure out WHY . I talked to Dave and he suggested I read Corky Bells " Maximum Boost "  so I have been reading it.  If and when I read for pure pleasure I read SCI fiction , really enjoyed everything by Robert Heinlein.
Neil Davies

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2014, 20:58:50 pm »

Favourite reads are , First Light by Goeff Wellum , Nine Lives by Al Deere , Fighter Boys and Bomber Boys by Patrick Bishop . The Mighty Eighth , can't remember the author .

One of the most amazing and brutal books I've read is The Man who Broke into Auschwitz by Denis Avey , an incredibly brave man .

A few years back I read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand , about Louie Zamperini which has just been made into a film by Angelina Jolie , I strongly recommend anyone to read the book before seeing the film .

Cheers , Rob

I read First Light a few years ago, amazing book and even more because its true.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
RobtheManx

« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2014, 22:29:26 pm »

Cheers , Rob

I read First Light a few years ago, amazing book and even more because its true.

Wellum is an excellent writer . We think of those pilots as being grown men , but they were barely out of school . At the beginning of the book you can tell he's just a boy , but he ages and matures by ten years in one year .

You should read Nine Lives , the amount of scrapes Al Deere got into and survived is crazy .

Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
kb

« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2014, 14:00:44 pm »

The "A song of Fire and Ice", (Game of Thrones)
Fiatdude

« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2014, 15:29:19 pm »

Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett

Book three of the Century Trilogy -- All three books and the series have been very good

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
mg

« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2014, 16:11:22 pm »

Dan Binks book "Making it Faster" , covers decades of race car development and improvements.

"In motorsports there have been an endless series of performance advances where one wonders, how did they ever figure this out?
Other times one asks, how did they not see this when the answer was there for all to see?
These are the stories of discovery by 3 generations of racers and designers, who changed the state of the art forever".

http://www.amazon.com/Making-FASTER-Tales-Endless-Search/dp/0991175506
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2015, 20:38:14 pm »

Godwin, S & Beswetherick, R. (2003), An investigation into the balance of prescription, experiment and play when learning about the properties of quadratic functions with ICT, Research in Mathematics Education, vol. 5 (1), pp. 79-95.

Sad

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 22:18:14 pm by Lids » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Catbox

Slave to internal combustion.

« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2016, 23:40:33 pm »

I have recently picked reading up again.
These are the books that I have started with.
I am currently almost finished with The Silence of the Lambs.

They are fun to read in order of Lecters age...
Hannibal Rising, Red Dragon, The Silence of the Lambs, and then Hannibal.

andrewlandon67

« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2016, 05:47:37 am »

David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day.  A series of short stories that will leave you rolling on the floor laughing your guts out.  Grin

Quoting an ancient post on an ancient thread about an ancient memory... I should be an historian some day... My parents used to borrow this on tape from the library for our trips to Michigan from Colorado. Nothing, to this day, gets me as nostalgic as David Sedaris' books on tape or anything pre-'04 from the Barenaked Ladies.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: