The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 20:43:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  dkp car (bill shwimmer , steph szantai , hector B )
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: dkp car (bill shwimmer , steph szantai , hector B )  (Read 83216 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2010, 22:52:38 pm »

epic picture  Cool Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2010, 22:55:13 pm »

another montage

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2010, 22:57:18 pm »

Now thats Cal Look Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Ivan

« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2010, 23:42:37 pm »

Forget the original vs repop argument... How gives a *&@& ?!
Originals took a lot of work to own in the late eighties, before the internet - I know from experience. When Flat 4 came out with repops they not only did the best job they could at the time - they also opened the door to all those who craved the 'Look on a sensible budget.
Today real BRMs are joke money - but are still the ultimate wheel - and those who don't like the look of them are welcome to fit something else - no one cares.
Anyway - that aside - lets look at the new wave 'Old School' for a minute...
Without Bill Schwimmer, Hector Bonilla, John Rayburn, Dave Mason, Danny Gabbard to name but a few of the people responsible for not only re-igniting the flame but staying true and fanning the fire; Trends, Hot VWs, Super VWs and, obvioulsy,  VolksWorld (as during the mid 90's we made damn sure we highlighted what was happening!) the passion you have today would probably be focussed in a totally different direction. Also, let's not forget Keith Seume's book which you refer to as 'the bible' as another key factor.
Thanks to all this we have this forum. An amazing place - a place to share a passion for the most popular form of VW modification of all time.
Also take into account the fact so many people have come back to the hobby lately; this proves The California Look is not something which you can shake off - We're all into VWs, but The California Look is what makes our hearts beat faster! Having the sound of a hot dual carb engine behind you and the experience of pulling away from a standing start and banging into second only to find it's time to shift up and over to the right for third is the most addictive feeling I've ever had - but perhaps that's because I don't like the idea of Crystal Meth or Heroin!
And the comment Bill made about driving Cal Look cars is 100% right - you can't beat it! Driving all the way to Belgium in my '67 twice for EBI and back is what it's all about. That and taking on anything that the owner thinks is fast - especially if he's got a high maintenance girlfriend in the passenger seat!
So, join me in saying thanks to Bill, Hector (who is still with us - but looking after his father), Jim, John, Dave and all those who revived The California Look and laid the foundations for what we have today.
Respect! 

Donny B.

« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2010, 00:43:21 am »

Now that is a great post!  I wholeheartedly concur!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Ivan

« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2010, 02:24:41 am »

Maybe the problem is, that there is a time in a man's life when he can afford to have things but he cant get excited anymore. Luckily, those times did not come for me yet.

I can assure you when I sold a one-owner from new '68 Fastback in A-1 condition to fund the two BRMs I needed to make up a set of four in 1989 - I could not have been more excited. Since then I have owned 10 original BRMs - cherry picking the best of them to end up with the wheels I have today. For many years they have been the only wheels I have had on my '67. Every time I look at them I am both feel excited and more to the point, privileged. However, and don't shoot me down for this...
I am looking forward to getting the new, revised Flat 4 BRMs so I can drive my '67 like I really want to and be able to park it without being worried that when I return someone hasn't ruined my life by stealing my wheels.
Sadly, it's go to the stage where originals are such a commodity that running them is nearly as worrying as letting a blind lesbian loose in a fish market! Donny B - don't you worry running alloy BRMs is the way of the 'thinking man', I hope to join you soon*.

* And my real ones will still excite me every time I look at them - but they'll be in the safety of my home. Well, except when I feel the need to run with the wolves!

Oh, and whilst I am on the subject of 'Old School' California Look - and getting excited, I still remember how I long I spent drooling over Gary Berg's '67 when it was at VW Classic under a blue E-Z-Up in about 1990. It stopped me in my tracks and it was like I;d been sucked into a tractor-beam. Sure there were elements that didn't float my boat, but overall it an education. The input the Bergs have put into our hobby can't be disputed.
That said I have no problem saying that my favourite Cal Look car EVER is Art's '67. I know it'll sound crazy - but I think I was more upset than even he was when he rolled it.
If there was a Top 1 all time Cal look car - for me that's it.   
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2010, 03:24:39 am »

Thanks Ivan,
  This hobby has done so much for me, making friends for a lifetime, opening doors & taking me places I would have never dreamed of. It has been an awesome ride.  What we were doing in the late 80's early 90's was total counter culture @ the time in the VW scene, but the people that were into it kind of found each other & made this cool underground society. Without the journalists & publications reporting on what was happening @ that time I think the VW industry would be much different than it is today.  I thank you Ivan, Keith, Stephan, Dean K. Eric Geisert & many others who brought what was happening to the surface. 
  Thanks again  Bill

BTW  I agree about Art's car , it is my favorite, it's even better after the crash. Bitchenest Cal Look car ever built...

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2010, 03:48:16 am »

I am looking forward to getting the new, revised Flat 4 BRMs so I can drive my '67 like I really want to and be able to park it without being worried that when I return someone hasn't ruined my life by stealing my wheels.

Right on, Ivan & Bill... great posts. And, Ivan... good call on the revised Flat Four wheels. They look great and will serve their purpose rather well for you.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2010, 00:39:23 am »

Oh, and whilst I am on the subject of 'Old School' California Look - and getting excited, I still remember how I long I spent drooling over Gary Berg's '67 when it was at VW Classic under a blue E-Z-Up in about 1990. It stopped me in my tracks and it was like I;d been sucked into a tractor-beam. Sure there were elements that didn't float my boat, but overall it an education. The input the Bergs have put into our hobby can't be disputed.
That said I have no problem saying that my favourite Cal Look car EVER is Art's '67. I know it'll sound crazy - but I think I was more upset than even he was when he rolled it.
If there was a Top 1 all time Cal look car - for me that's it.   
[/quote]

Thanks for the complements guy's. I'm truly bless to have good people surrounding me with the true meaningful Cal look point of views, bad ass cars ..especially DKP in full honors, Bill, Keith, Dean, Stephan all the Cal-Look Forum members for keep in things alive

I also was influence 1st. Generation  Gary's Berg Bomb/Bad Co car..

BTW: Ivan next time we see each, you get a free pass...present this ticket at the window.. Wink

Regards,
Art

Der Kleiner Panzers
Cornpanzer

« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2010, 00:55:38 am »

Sigh, I always talk up your car and I never got a free pass.... Cry

Cheesy Wink Tongue

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2010, 01:40:31 am »

Sigh, I always talk up your car and I never got a free pass.... Cry

Cheesy Wink Tongue

I figured once you gone over to that hair blower thing, you will never go back to your roots... Wink Cheesy Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
bmxnut65

« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2010, 02:31:55 am »

Art, the first time I saw your car I was like that is it. I always wanted to have a car like that.Maybe some day.Like Bill said about the 80's and 90's is so true.

Der Kleiner Panzers
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2010, 03:46:01 am »

Page of the week, guys.  Great stuff.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2010, 04:04:39 am »

Thanks Ivan! I appreciate it!

I also park at Nick's.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2010, 04:36:21 am »

Awesome post Ivan!

I'm one of the "old guys" that got back in to the scene... sold my last looker back around '79.

With the urging of a very close friend... one whom we worked on many projects together... one who has  managed to hang on to his Cal-Look VW for 30+ years by now... I am now building the car I wish I had when I was young.
The DKP cars mentioned are and have been my inspiration for years... but it's been said before, what makes this hobby / community so cool is the people! Every DKP member I've had the pleasure of hanging out with have left me with a very positive, good feeling about the hobby. As far as the Lounge, I feel I've made friends all over the world... people I'd go out of my way for because I know they would do the same.

Oh yeah, the "close friend" who urged me back? That would be John Rayburn... (you can blame him since he invited me to the Lounge too Grin)

Thanks John Wink

~Dave

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2010, 07:00:24 am »

Thanks Dave! Here's a little story for you all. Dave used to work on my brother's EMPI demonstrator, most of you know my stories with that car. The day I turned 16, I was at the DMV to get my license when the doors opened. I also had an appointment that morning with Dave Rosique at H&H Motors. I left DMV and drove straight to H&H and handed my '64 over to Dave and walked to my girlfriend's house about a block from there. Dave lowered my front end, put a set of 135's on the front which he had set aside for me months earlier. Installed my Hurst shifter, and my rear Koni's, which are still on the car to this day, gave it a major tune up, adjusted the brakes and clutch, changed the oil and gear oil, and my parents have hardly seen me since. I'm glad you're back into this scene, Dave! Don't ever leave!

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2010, 07:03:56 am »

So, YOU'RE the one to blame, John?

Just kidding. I agree... so awesome to be talking with you again, Dave. So many years have passed by, but it seems otherwise. And I agree with your D.K.P. statement. The guys in the club are true ambassadors to all that is true Cal Look.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Ivan

« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2010, 14:48:08 pm »

BTW: Ivan next time we see each, you get a free pass...present this ticket at the window.. Wink

Regards,
Art

That offer is one I will make sure to take you up on! Thanks.
Ivan

« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2010, 14:52:39 pm »

Thanks Ivan! I appreciate it!

It's only the truth John. Also, as the subject of the hobby looks back at and relies on its history so heavily - it's nice to think you played a part in an important chapter. So, thank you John - we appreciate it!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #229 on: March 07, 2010, 14:20:51 pm »

some montage   Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #230 on: March 07, 2010, 16:36:03 pm »

Wink