The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:51:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  48IDA’s new or used Italian?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 48IDA’s new or used Italian?  (Read 13936 times)
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« on: December 19, 2007, 21:20:30 pm »

48IDA’s new or used Italian what are the differences and what are the problems to look for on the old ones? What you buy? Huh

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 21:47:53 pm »

I just went through this procedure. What I found was finding a good set of unmolested Italian IDAs was difficult. (And expensive.) A lot of them have been modified, beat up, hacked up, missing parts etc. Then once you get them you have to have them rebuilt, rejeted etc. Unless you just have to have the Italian IDAs, I would go with a new set. There is no difference in performance and you know they have not been beat to death. If you do go after a used set, check the throttle shafts to make sure they are tight. Make sure all the parts are there. And that none of the screws/brass have been cross threaded. Then get prepared to send them off and pay about half of what you bought them for to get them rebuilt and jetted.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rocket Ron

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 23:01:03 pm »

Dont know what to do as the new and old ones are about the same money and everyone seems to go on about Italian IDAs

thank for the coments Louis

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 23:05:08 pm »

I've been told the same thing Ron , as much as I want a pair of Italians' Cool ,it makes far more sense it would appear to get a pair of new one's  Undecided

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 23:13:08 pm »

I have no personal experience with the new ones, but I know I wouldnt swap my Italians for a set that speaka spanish Wink
One thing I dont like about the new ones is the color of the casting.... its way off from the Italian versions.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rocket Ron

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 23:16:59 pm »

I've been told the same thing Ron , as much as I want a pair of Italians' Cool ,it makes far more sense it would appear to get a pair of new one's  Undecided

though I may treat my self to a pair for xmas before the dollar starts dropping off.  Cool

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 23:22:37 pm »

Ron why do you want to buy some old shit just get some new one's. Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
Rocket Ron

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 23:27:02 pm »

we're all suckers for old shit .............

thats why we drive old vws  Wink

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 23:58:08 pm »

Dont know what to do as the new and old ones are about the same money and everyone seems to go on about Italian IDAs

thank for the coments Louis

Yeah, having said all that, I went out and bought a pair of Italian ones too.   Wink  But I talked to several people who deal with them on a daily basis and their opinion was, unless you just want them to say "Made in Italy" there is no performance reason to buy a used set. And the initial cost may be the same, but you also have to factor in repairs to the cost on the old ones. Last time I checked, Art T. charged around $300 - $400 in labor alone to rebuild a set. (Fortunately, mine were already rebuilt which is the only reason I bought them.)

--louis

Louis Brooks

Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 10:47:25 am »

Original Italian IDAs are just like having genuine BRMs... It's all about the kudos Cool
Sure, they can be beat to death (and cost a fortune), but having the real deal on your car makes it just that little bit special.
Genuine all the way!

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 13:54:43 pm »

Original Italian IDAs are just like having genuine BRMs... It's all about the kudos Cool
Sure, they can be beat to death (and cost a fortune), but having the real deal on your car makes it just that little bit special.
Genuine all the way!

Oi, Keeno, get back in that shed!

You've a car to finish!

Wink

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 15:26:45 pm »

Genuine all the way!
Amen" Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 18:00:25 pm »

Last time I checked, Art T. charged around $300 - $400 in labor alone to rebuild a set.

Who says you have to pay someone to rebuild it? Buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself, its a carburetor not rocket surgery Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 18:41:37 pm »

Couple of things I would watch out for if you try to find some used ones...

water/moisture damage, which on the carb bodies, will show up as a white fuzz. On the jet stack it will appear as a dry greenish fuzz. If the damage is left to spread, it can erode the carb bodies away. Water down the jet cavities and into the float chamber is the worst.

Jets that don't seat correctly are a problem, caused by gorilla-fisted tuners and/or the moisture damage mentioned above. The jet stacks should seat firmly with a minute amount of effort when screwing into carb bodies. If the jet stacks seem to bind up as you screw them in, or seem to never seat, or seat "softly" then rest assured there is a problem in the jet cavity.

twisted throttle shafts can be checked with a feeler gauge. Make sure butterfly to throat clearance is the same on both throats. set idle speed screw so a .006" gauge drags between closest throat and plate, then check the other one.

Some carbs I have heard of are sold with whored-out jet stacks and/or needle valves. What I mean, is it seems like some sellers sweep up the weirdest jet combos, emulsion tubes, needle valves etc, in order to sell the carbs "complete." If you have to replace every jet, tube, holder, etc....then you might as well find a bare set.

Funny drillings, hogged out float bowls, aftermarket stuff would all tend to make me look elsewhere too. If you need to buy new needle valves, I would HIGHLY suggest using only original Weber ones, not aftermarket ones.

good luck,
Jim
Tony M

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 21:54:08 pm »

now that every one is getting IDA's - must be a over flow of IDF's out there - not to change the thread - but looking for 44's or 48's  IDF's - in good shape of course

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 22:52:40 pm »

Actually I think a bunch of IDAs are coming on the market due to the turbo craze. Guess some people think they are upgrading when they go from IDAs to a hair dryer.  Roll Eyes

--louis

Louis Brooks

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 22:54:45 pm »

now that every one is getting IDA's - must be a over flow of IDF's out there - not to change the thread - but looking for 44's or 48's  IDF's - in good shape of course

drop me a line in the spring once i've got my ida's sorted out , may have a pair of 44idf's up for grabs

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Bruce

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 08:47:16 am »

Genuine all the way!
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.  Your comparison to BRMs is rediculous.  There's a HUGE difference between a heavyweight Aluminum fake BRM and the Mg real one.
The new Weber IDAs are GENUINE WEBER.

Anyone considering buying used carbs should not buy any carb used in an offroad application, or from a car with an open engine.  Sand and dirt destroys carbs real fast
Fasterbrit

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 11:19:46 am »

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.  Your comparison to BRMs is rediculous.  There's a HUGE difference between a heavyweight Aluminum fake BRM and the Mg real one.

There is a huge difference between a genuine IDA and a Spanish or other remake. Put them side by side and check out the difference in quality of casting. The new ones look rough in comparison. "Made in Italy" means quaility. All of the Weber carbs built outside of Italy do not come close to the quality and precision of the orginators. Pull out the jets on a new 'Weber ICT' or IDF and you will see a great diference between the acuracy of machining, especially recently. I fitted a brand new set of ICTs to a Fastback last week and could not get the thing to run any sense. It ran lean and then ran rich all of a sudden. Pulled the carbs apart and found that every single jet drilling hole had been done a ham-fisted chimp with a square drill bit. Never seen such poor quality work in a carburettor, ever. Had to pull the carbs and send them back to the supplier. Junk Angry
Oh, and don't get me stared on those Chinese Empi HPMX pieces of junk. Fitted two sets and they were both junk. Porous float bowls, amongst other quality control issues. Won't ever fit a set again.

Italy all the way.

www.air-kraft.com
Peter

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 13:03:48 pm »

Just go for Jenvey
 Tongue
simplicity all the way Smiley
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 13:10:15 pm »

There is a huge difference between a genuine IDA and a Spanish or other remake. Put them side by side and check out the difference in quality of casting. The new ones look rough in comparison. "Made in Italy" means quaility. All of the Weber carbs built outside of Italy do not come close to the quality and precision of the orginators. Pull out the jets on a new 'Weber ICT' or IDF and you will see a great diference between the acuracy of machining, especially recently. I fitted a brand new set of ICTs to a Fastback last week and could not get the thing to run any sense. It ran lean and then ran rich all of a sudden. Pulled the carbs apart and found that every single jet drilling hole had been done a ham-fisted chimp with a square drill bit. Never seen such poor quality work in a carburettor, ever. Had to pull the carbs and send them back to the supplier. Junk Angry
Oh, and don't get me stared on those Chinese Empi HPMX pieces of junk. Fitted two sets and they were both junk. Porous float bowls, amongst other quality control issues. Won't ever fit a set again.

Italy all the way.

Well Matt what side of the bed did you get out of. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Bruce

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 19:44:13 pm »

There is a huge difference between a genuine IDA and a Spanish or other remake. Put them side by side and check out the difference in quality of casting. The new ones look rough in comparison. "Made in Italy" means quaility. All of the Weber carbs built outside of Italy do not come close to the quality and precision of the orginators. Pull out the jets on a new 'Weber ICT' or IDF and you will see a great diference between the acuracy of machining, especially recently.
I have worked on both old Italian and new Weber IDAs, and the difference in quality of manufacture is minimal.  Your examples of flaws in IDFs or ICTs is irrelevant to the discussion.  Those are crap carbs.  The new IDAs are not.
Just MO based on working on both.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 19:48:58 pm by Bruce » Logged
Fasterbrit

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 11:26:42 am »

Italy all the way.

Well Matt what side of the bed did you get out of. Grin Grin Grin Grin

You guys are right... I am bitching. Grin
Just had a bad week with crap quality carbs and lost out on a day's pay as a result  Angry
Smiling again now though Wink

www.air-kraft.com
james wotton

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 01:26:52 am »

yeah just get one off those old shit holley's with a turbo no end of shit ah  boom boom! Tongue Grin

9.91 @ 139.90
outlawflatfour 2010 and 2011 champion.
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 01:37:02 am »

yeah just get one off those old shit holley's with a turbo no end of shit ah  boom boom! Tongue Grin

Yes you got me there thanks mate. Grin

But that Holley is still better than your FI. Tongue

Rocket Ron

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 10:54:26 am »

Thanks for the advice guys.
Currently looking at a few options and will let you know how I get on.

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 18:05:53 pm »

rocket ron, good luck with your project. Here is another site you can get "opinions" from.... I lurk here, just to see what these 48IDA guys are up to:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-engines-induction-exhaust/

also, I know Mazda RX7 guys are using 48's... so you can check around with them for carbs for sale and/or their opinion of the New vs the Old.

have fun,
Jim
Rocket Ron

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 22:42:20 pm »

Cheers Jim some real cool stuff on there. I love the IDA injection setups  Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'll let you know how I get on.

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Ninho/DKM

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 00:47:52 am »

Hi, i am Italian.....so i bought a pair of old made in Bologna 48 Ida's. NOw i need a lot of spare parts like pumps rods and screws and so on....who can i contact, could you write me any links to ask for?
many thanks.

1974 Superbeetle Porsche affected and influenced
1957 Gasser Project work in progress
1973 Thing type 181 Civil version (sold)
1959 Bug waiting attentions
1963 Surfin'Bird Street and Strip race Bug 1776cc Best E/T 14,769 at Hills Race#10

www.Surfinbirdbug.blogspot.it
www.Ninho-Reloaded.blogspot.it
andy M.

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 13:31:03 pm »

there is a huge difference between a genuine IDA and a Spanish or other remake. Put them side by side and check out the difference in quality of casting. The new ones look rough in comparison. "Made in Italy" means quaility. All of the Weber carbs built outside of Italy do not come close to the quality and precision of the orginators. Pull out the jets on a new 'Weber ICT' or IDF and you will see a great diference between the acuracy of machining, especially recently. I fitted a brand new set of ICTs to a Fastback last week and could not get the thing to run any sense. It ran lean and then ran rich all of a sudden. Pulled the carbs apart and found that every single jet drilling hole had been done a ham-fisted chimp with a square drill bit. Never seen such poor quality work in a carburettor, ever. Had to pull the carbs and send them back to the supplier. Junk Angry

Italy all the way.
[/quote]

My mum had a FIAT 127 and that was made in Italy, it was fucking shit!

kindest regards

Andy

L.B.C.R.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: