The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:19:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  What is your town or city famous for.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: What is your town or city famous for.  (Read 50759 times)
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« on: December 25, 2007, 14:51:43 pm »

Ok i will start with two from Bournemouth where i live.

Robert Louis Stevenson best known as the author of Treasure Island was published in 1883 and it was in August the following year that Stevenson arrived in Bournemouth. Stevenson had tuberculosis and was attracted by the town's reputation as a health resort.

It was at Skerryvore the family home that, to use his own words, Stevenson lived "like a weevil in a biscuit". In other words, despite his poor health, he dug himself in and bored away at his work, pouring words on to the page day after day, month after month. He found Bournemouth's heaths and pine woods inspiring and the landscape reminded him of his native Scotland. 'Kidnapped' and 'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' were among several works written at Skerryvore.

Also Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley she was the author of the novel Frankenstein. Shelley and other family members are buried in a large family vault in St Peter's churchyard here in Bournemouth.

Hahaha your killing me.........
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 15:09:57 pm »

Where I am originally from is a little town called Woodville. It is a little south of where I presently live, Tallahassee which is the capital of Florida. Woodville is most famous for the Battle of Natural Bridge where a hand full of old men, wounded CSA soldiers and young cadets managed to turn back a large invading force of US troops. Natural Bridge is an area where the St. Marks river goes underground and is the only place a large force could ford the river. (All the bridges had been burned down.) This small group of soldiers held this natural land bridge against a much larger better armed force for three days. They inflicted enough casualties that the leader of the Northern army was forced to retreat to the safety of his ships at the river's mouth. This left Tallahassee as the only southern state capital not captured during the War Between the States. (Also called the War of Northern Aggression here in the south or as the US Civil War by northerners.)

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 16:11:02 pm »

The city that I´m from is well known for producing some of the best cars available. Many years ago some of the cars we all love so much have been produced in my hometown Wolfsburg. Cool
folkevogn

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 16:18:49 pm »

The city that I´m from is well known for producing some of the best cars available. Many years ago some of the cars we all love so much have been produced in my hometown Wolfsburg. Cool
Ahhh man......no point in posting in this tread anymore....you cant beat that Grin Cool

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 17:55:35 pm »

Ok i will start with two from Bournemouth where i live.

Robert Louis Stevenson best known as the author of Treasure Island was published in 1883 and it was in August the following year that Stevenson arrived in Bournemouth. Stevenson had tuberculosis and was attracted by the town's reputation as a health resort.

It was at Skerryvore the family home that, to use his own words, Stevenson lived "like a weevil in a biscuit". In other words, despite his poor health, he dug himself in and bored away at his work, pouring words on to the page day after day, month after month. He found Bournemouth's heaths and pine woods inspiring and the landscape reminded him of his native Scotland. 'Kidnapped' and 'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' were among several works written at Skerryvore.

Also Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley she was the author of the novel Frankenstein. Shelley and other family members are buried in a large family vault in St Peter's churchyard here in Bournemouth.

Also home to the porsche beating internet phenomenon that is martin greeves

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Christoph

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 17:58:17 pm »

i´m from a small town close to hannover, famous for nothing. so i think it´s ok to say something about hannover, home of the type 2 transporter/buses and the season opening beetle met in germany.

oh, and once we had a king Grin
beetletom

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 19:05:02 pm »

i live next to local town, slough!
famous for the slough swapmeet  Grin
horlicks
biggest mixed race community in the uk....
oh and wizard roadsters!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 19:20:09 pm by beetletom » Logged
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 19:17:13 pm »

The town that I live is home to one of the most popular US Football Teams in world - the Green Bay Packers.  The team was one of the very first teams and started out as the "Acme Packers".  The 2008 Superbowl-bound Packers enjoy an incredibly loyal fan base which had been known to follow the team to away games.  At a recent away game with against the St. Loius Rams it was said that there were more than 27,000 Packer fans at the game.  They are the only team in the NFL owned by the community.  In other words, they are not owned by an individual or corporation.  Fans purchase stock.  Oh, and they sell out every home game they play with over 74,000 seats.

Green Bay is also famous in the paper industry.  Some of the world's biggest paper manufactures have plants here including Georgia Pacific and Protor & Gamble.  While the industry has shifted production away from Green Bay, these companies continue to be a major source of employment for area residents.

People here really enjoy their outdoor sports - year around.  This time of year snow mobiles are huge along with ice fishing, ice races and cross country skiing.  In warmer months golf is huge as is soccer and various running and biking events.

There's decent automotive action between April and October.  There's a multifunctional race track about 30 minutes south of Green Bay, and the area has several car shows featuring mostly American cars.  VW's are definitely rare up here, and tend to get a lot of attention.   Grin 

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 19:19:24 pm »

All we have here is a life size fiberglass cow in middle of town Undecided

But we do have a sucky football team that beat the Packers TWICE this year!
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 19:39:08 pm »

Ouch.  That hurt. Cheesy  Gotta admit they sucked both games...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 19:42:14 pm by WardVWRacer » Logged

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 19:54:03 pm »

Fullerton Ca, home to Leo Fender, inventor of the electric guitar.  Also home to the North OC punk rock sound  (Social Distortion, Adolescents, Agent Orange  ect.. Oh yeah , California Look VW's have been driving around here for about 40yrs now...

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Bryan67

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 20:10:17 pm »

I`m from Fresno....

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
stealth67vw

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 20:19:49 pm »

I grew up in the small town of Fremont, California (pop. 215,000) in the northern most part of Silcon Valley near San Francisco. It is known to be the earliest home of California's motion picture industry. Charlie Chaplin filmed the silent picture "The Tramp" in the Sunol district. The once great Baylands Raceway was in Fremont. It's an Auto Mall now.  Fremont is also home to Olympians Kristi Yamagughi and Steve Lewis, MC Hammer, MLB pitcher Dennis Eckersley, and my high school classmate Underworld & Underworld :Evolution director Len Wiseman.

In 2003 I moved north to Grants Pass, Oregon. World famous for the Rogue River, the Steelhead trout and Chinook Salmon fishing and rafting. Rooster Cockburn starring John Wayne and River Wild starring Meryl Streep were filmed in Hellgate Canyon on the river.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 20:27:13 pm by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 20:28:43 pm »

The town that I live is home to one of the most popular US Football Teams in world - the Green Bay Packers.  The team was one of the very first teams and started out as the "Acme Packers".  The 2008 Superbowl-bound Packers enjoy an incredibly loyal fan base which had been known to follow the team to away games.  At a recent away game with against the St. Loius Rams it was said that there were more than 27,000 Packer fans at the game.  They are the only team in the NFL owned by the community.  In other words, they are not owned by an individual or corporation.  Fans purchase stock.  Oh, and they sell out every home game they play with over 74,000 seats.

Green Bay is also famous in the paper industry.  Some of the world's biggest paper manufactures have plants here including Georgia Pacific and Protor & Gamble.  While the industry has shifted production away from Green Bay, these companies continue to be a major source of employment for area residents.

People here really enjoy their outdoor sports - year around.  This time of year snow mobiles are huge along with ice fishing, ice races and cross country skiing.  In warmer months golf is huge as is soccer and various running and biking events.

There's decent automotive action between April and October.  There's a multifunctional race track about 30 minutes south of Green Bay, and the area has several car shows featuring mostly American cars.  VW's are definitely rare up here, and tend to get a lot of attention.   Grin 
  You did'nt seem that into football when you were in OC ,   Must be something in the Midwest water. We are looking for a place to move to, I wonder if my family moved out that way I would end up watching football too... Have a good Christmas   Bill

Eddy Merckx
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 22:26:13 pm »

Fullerton Ca, home to Leo Fender, inventor of the electric guitar.  Also home to the North OC punk rock sound  (Social Distortion, Adolescents, Agent Orange  ect.. Oh yeah , California Look VW's have been driving around here for about 40yrs now...

And there me thinking it just Resto Cal's driving around Fullerton Tongue Grin

Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 22:53:14 pm »

Most of them are down to the primer now from being wiped down so much...

Eddy Merckx
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 23:02:05 pm »

Most of them are down to the primer now from being wiped down so much...

Oh dear just you wait till John Canales come on here.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 23:18:31 pm »

Virgil Earp (Wyatt Earp's brother) came to Prescott to heal up after the gunfight at the O.K. Corrall, he actually went to Dearing Ranch where I used to live when I was a child. Prescott was also the territorial capital of Arizona before it became a state in 1912. Prescott was founded on mining, logging, and ranching and I suppose is still known for Whiskey Row, a chain of bars that run right through the middle of downtown.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 23:25:19 pm »

Well the only thing I can think of is the fact that I went to the same school as these guys  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 00:09:55 am »

Well the only thing I can think of is the fact that I went to the same school as these guys  Wink Smiley
  Thats cool... just don't go to the same barber as those guys.

Eddy Merckx
redbluebug

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 00:13:04 am »

All we have here is a life size fiberglass cow in middle of town Undecided

Ouch Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 01:17:20 am »

Why Not dude  Cheesy Wink Smiley

stealth67vw

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 03:09:06 am »

Or the same bar. They may want to push in your stool. Shocked

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 09:36:47 am »

Were they cruising the boys room at your school back then?

I also park at Nick's.
Lee.C

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 10:59:51 am »

Or the same bar. They may want to push in your stool. Shocked

VERY FUNNY  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

JeePee/DVK

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2007, 11:01:28 am »

Lopik,Holland.
The biggest christmass tree.

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
folkevogn

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2007, 11:59:15 am »

The town that I live is home to one of the most popular US Football Teams in world - the Green Bay Packers.  The team was one of the very first teams and started out as the "Acme Packers". 
I remember seeing ACME in various cartoons, I've been tolled its a fiction american company, made for the cartoons.Whats the full name, if there is one?
Its OT, hope you guys dont mind....

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2007, 12:30:49 pm »

The town that I live is home to one of the most popular US Football Teams in world - the Green Bay Packers.  The team was one of the very first teams and started out as the "Acme Packers". 
I remember seeing ACME in various cartoons, I've been tolled its a fiction american company, made for the cartoons.Whats the full name, if there is one?
Its OT, hope you guys dont mind....
American Company that Makes Everything is what I can remember.

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2007, 14:52:18 pm »

Not my hometown, but I currently live in a tourist town in central Pennsylvania with a history of making chocolate.

We also have probably the largest antique auto flea market in the world here every October, the AACA Fall Meet. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2007, 15:55:03 pm »

My hometown is Pasadena, California.  We are about to celebrate our annual Tournament of Roses  http://www.tournamentofroses.com/,  which is a festive parade of flower and plant covered floats, marching bands, equestrian units, the NCAA (college football) Rose Bowl and other events taking place during December.  It is quite a sight to behold.

Pasadena is also home to California Institute of Technology (one of the best universities in the U.S.), Jet Propulsion Laboratories, the Norton Simon Museum of Art, the Huntington Library and numerous other cultural gems and diverse business'.

Historically, because of it's gentle climate, the city was used in the 1800's and early 1900's as a vacation spot for the wealthy who lived on the east coast of the U.S..  There are many historical areas and neighborhoods (many highlighting the Craftsman or California Spanish style of homes) and it stands at the base of Mount Wilson, where there is an observatory and great hiking and mountain biking trails.  In these same mountains, a wealthy easterner named McPherson once built the Mount Lowe Railway  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Lowe_Railway , a funicular that rose from Pasadena up into the mountains.

For nostalgic types like us, there are many auto and antique collectors here, two huge monthly flea markets that cater to collectors, the homes of legendary speed shops like Competition Engineering and Blairs Speed Shop, Bursch exhaust systems, the now defunct MG Mitten and other cool haunts.

Pasadena is also a popular city for many film and television productions.

My apologies for the ramble, but it really is a great place.  Come with us this Saturday and see a small part of it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: