The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:08:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  What is your town or city famous for.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: What is your town or city famous for.  (Read 51619 times)
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2008, 20:38:04 pm »

norwalk,ca.  drive-by shooting's, metropolitine state mental hospital,court house and german auto vw repair. take's more than a day to see are sight's

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jim Ratto

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2008, 20:53:53 pm »

norwalk,ca.  drive-by shooting's, metropolitine state mental hospital,court house and german auto vw repair. take's more than a day to see are sight's

Sheep and I had a hell of a night in Norwalk once at gunpoint in Jack in the Box parking lot back in 1990.

Carlos De Alba

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2008, 20:58:56 pm »

Sheep and I had a hell of a night in Norwalk once at parking lot back in 1990.

WTF???   Kiss  Kiss  Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2008, 21:12:56 pm »

What a rare jack head antenna ball ?

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2008, 21:43:47 pm »

I live in Hotton. It's a small Belgian village just at the beginning of the Ardennes. You know, that region which suffered a lot during WW2?
So, that's a place where the german offensive know under the name "Von Rundstedt" was stop during winter '.44. That's much know under the name of Battle of the Bulge by US guys.
There lot's of old house build in stone like the old mill still in function for tourist, it is also a place of vacation. (And I know that's Speedwell come there when he was younger  Grin )
But nothing really famous... Just a quiet and peaceful place to live.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2008, 22:07:41 pm »

What a rare jack head antenna ball ?

the PO lice thought we were the culprits in some burglary that involved a "Blue Volkswagen". It was pretty interesting getting held @ gunpoint when your 400 miles from home (lived in Bay Area @ the time) and you have no fucking clue why.
they separated us and compared stories, and they matched, and then they were cool. However, the rest of the night, we were awake at Motel 6 listening to hookers and crack-dealers getting popped right out side our window.

Sarge

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2008, 00:39:12 am »

All we have here is a life size fiberglass cow in middle of town Undecided

Things are a little more realistic here in Chino  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chino%2C_California

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2008, 00:41:46 am »

two girls..... hot stuff you got going on out there Sarge.
Sarge

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2008, 00:50:42 am »

two girls..... hot stuff you got going on out there Sarge.

KILLJOY!!  Tongue Grin

DKP III
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2008, 00:55:13 am »

how did you talk them into it, never work's for me

Jim Ratto

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2008, 01:03:21 am »

how did you talk them into it, never work's for me

do you speak moo?
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2008, 01:16:48 am »

Hubba hubba! Kiss

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2008, 19:54:51 pm »

Hamar, Norway. Probably best known for beeing one of the cities that hosted the 1994 winter - olympics. The speed skating arena The Viking Ship is our biggest tourist attraction..
We actually used to have a VW event inside the viking ship some years back.. I remember feeling very small when I drove my big into the ship. Huge building.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Vikingskipet-Hamar.jpg
62 Ragtop

Nose down Ass up ...back from paint shop!!!

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2008, 16:21:47 pm »

Born and raised in a small town called Enköping, Sweden, Europe. Now residing in capital city Stockholm...

Enköping, probably most renowned for a guy called Johan Petter Johansson (1846-1943), inventor of the adjustable spanner (monkey wrench, swedish wrench) and the pipe wrench. Later fabricated by the business started by Bernd August Hjorth (B.A Hjorth & Co --- a.k.a  BAHCO).

Formerly an integral part of the business life in Enköping and major employeer in the community. Nowadays, one of the world's largest manufacturer of handtools... sadly not in Enköping though...  Tongue

Today, known for it's beutiful town parks, and for more contemporary people; Niclas Hävelid, ice hockey player in NHL, formerly Anaheim Mighty Ducks now Atlanta Trashers. I used to go to school with Niclas (same birth year) and play football (that is soccer for some) togheter when we were kids. I wonder what had happened if I had played hockey instead...  Roll Eyes  Cheesy Wink

BR,

1962 Ragtop L390, 2165cc-to-be, 044CNC, IDA48,Fk8
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2008, 18:25:44 pm »

Well.... My town Oslo is known to be the most expensive city in the world........  Undecided

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
DKKBRIAN
DKK

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2008, 02:19:02 am »

6 FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN! TRAFFIC! NOT ENOUGH VW'S.

DUH..WINNING !
horatiocaine

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2008, 07:19:41 am »

Northridge CA, Earthquake
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

San Clemente, the first master planned community in the US..(1928) AND of course the BEST Climate in the World.  As well, lots of hot girls in bikini's and a surf community that is outstanding (Trestles, San Onofre, etc..).  The southern most city in Orange County.  Not so bad here..........
Where is Oslo?
Sarge... Chino?  There are a few of dem' cows there.... I know I seen em' too.  Not so bad.  Are real cows better than a plastic one in town?  Dunno.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2008, 08:20:34 am »

San Clemente, the first master planned community in the US..(1928) AND of course the BEST Climate in the World.  As well, lots of hot girls in bikini's and a surf community that is outstanding (Trestles, San Onofre, etc..).  The southern most city in Orange County.  Not so bad here..........
Where is Oslo?
Sarge... Chino?  There are a few of dem' cows there.... I know I seen em' too.  Not so bad.  Are real cows better than a plastic one in town?  Dunno.

San Clemente was nice, yesterday. I surfed San Onofre and was in a giant memorial paddle-out for a fellow friend/surfer that recently passed on, sadly. R.I.P. Bob.

As for Chino... yeah the cow smell is a trip, but a great skatepark and skated a few empty swimming pools out there. GOOD TIMES!

My city, Lakewood? Hmm... I dunno, but I've been livin' here since I was 9 yrs. young. We used to have a very famous skatepark in the Lakewood Center Mall. But I think our only claim to fame is that we're the second or third most tree populated city in the nation. Little signs throughout that say Tree City, U.S.A. or something like that. All I know is that it's only a 12 min. drive to the beach, we've got plenty of places to eat and everything's nearby that I need. Still livin' in the same house that I grew up in.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:24:22 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2008, 10:34:42 am »

Surbiton is my town , and its famous i supose for the Good Life

Sarge

« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2008, 16:58:04 pm »

Seems like we're getting even MORE famous... Shocked Roll Eyes

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-undercover19feb19,1,1420317.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2008, 17:00:55 pm »

she's famous because there's a guys who've a SPEEDWELL MACHINE ..............................and his name is SPEEDWELL............... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 17:02:39 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Mc New
DKK

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2008, 17:09:45 pm »

The Phoenix metro area? hahahaha Famous for:
HEAT
ILLEGAL ALIENS
HEAT
WHISKY DRINKIN' INDIANS
HEAT
A POMPOUS SHERIFF named JOE
HEAT
A GIANT HOLE (Grand Canyon)
Oh yea....& its fawkin HOT here MOST of the year! lol

"If we painted a white stripe with pink polka dots down the center of our cars, people would start doing the same on theirs"
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2008, 17:11:35 pm »

It`s got to be one of the most beatiful holes I have ever been in  Wink Hiked there for week in 2005... and hot you say? That a understatement!

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Rennsurfer

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2008, 17:40:47 pm »

HEAT
ILLEGAL ALIENS
HEAT
WHISKY DRINKIN' INDIANS
HEAT
HEAT

Hmm... I'm sensing that you're tryin' to tell us something, McNew.

Grin

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2008, 18:00:34 pm »

HEAT
ILLEGAL ALIENS
HEAT
WHISKY DRINKIN' INDIANS
HEAT
HEAT

At least it's a dry heat!!

So is my oven... doesn't mean I wanna live there!  Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
GreenTom

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2008, 20:37:11 pm »

Nice places people Cheesy

I come from Plock in middle of Poland. The beutiffl city which is purched no the banks of the river Vistula (Wisla). Plock is famous of being a capital of Poland during the period of dark ages when 2 Kings lived there (also the quite old high school established in AD 1180 as I rember), there is also the biggest polish rafinery ORLEN (Petrochemia was called before) and the most expensive fuel Smiley in Poland 1,26 Euros per liter at the moment Cheesy (I know cheeper than in the rest of Europe but comparing to typical wages... it is a lot).
From my home town come few propper musicans Smiley (on polish ground)  mostly punk and punk rock bands.

oh and I forgot the most importand thing Smiley the girls from Płock are really beutifful Cheesy (as all polish women).

oh and of corse Plock is famous of ME Smiley hehe jus kidding Cheesy
view on Plock
http://www.ump.pl/kamera/?kam=1
http://www.ump.pl/kamera/?kam=2
the old city http://www.ump.pl/mapa/ Really nice virtual walk a big bite of history Smiley especially for You guys frome USA Smiley Quite a lot of visitors from usa thinks that europeand created dark ages like they mad a disnay land Cheesy quite sad (escpecially the Malbork city of Crusadors)

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
ApeLatex
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2008, 19:33:54 pm »

Chicago- My birthplace- Known for Da Bears, Da Bulls, Da Cubs and that other team....Polish Sausage, Vienna Beef hot dogs, Oprah Winfrey, Jerry Springer, hot hot summers and cold cold winters.
Mainly in the spotlight for corrupt politics and race riots.

New York City- Where I was raised- Known as a dangerous city, which I think is undeserving and I will get to that later.
Greatest city in the world, best food and entertainment. Best public transit. Awesome fire department- PAY THOSE GUYS MORE!!!
Beautiful architecture, nice little parks and gardens hidden in residential blocks in vacant lots. Some of the best bands ever started here.
We gave you the Ramones, we gave you the New York pizza, and we're still looking for Jimmy Hoffa.

Oakland, Ca- City I moved to during highschool. Crappy, dirty, depressing, no night life, known for drive bys where the only people injured are children playing in their houses caught in the crossfire. Oakland has a hold on crack dealing and prostitution.
Don't believe me? If I climb up on my roof at night I can see them strolling up and down San Pablo avenue. One day I'll post some of the pictures I've snapped from up there.
We have the A's, the Warriors and the Raiders. Not sure anyone is clapping about that.
Will be known for the most bizarre gentrification in history.
If you want a good weed or places to run amuck story I'll write one up about Berkeley.
bmxnut65

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2008, 16:05:24 pm »

Born and raised in the LBC.LB is famous for the LBGP,The Queen Mary,2nd st Belmont Shore,several  bands-The Vandals,Falling Idols,l.b.Allday,TSOL,Sublime,and lets not forget Snoop Dogg,Shoreline Racing-they were a car club that had several nice VW's.I now live in Garden Grove and I have no Idea what it is famous for. Henry

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2008, 16:26:47 pm »

I just remembered another one... we have the world's first shopping mall (God, I hate malls), and for years, it also had the world's biggest parking lot. Right across the street from my 'hood is Long Beach. Way older city with way more history.

~Sarge
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: