The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:55:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  New Hot VW's Issue
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Hot VW's Issue  (Read 15701 times)
Dave Galassi

« on: December 28, 2007, 15:55:40 pm »

The February 2008 Hot VW's issue is a great one!  Packed with interesting articles and cars, one of my favorite issues ever.  The Treffen and Canadian coverage, the Zwitter, Johnny (sp) Walker's car, Geers' car, the '39 Steyr and last but not least, the rebirth of Lanny's '67.  Lots of fodder for discussion........or motivation to get our projects done.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 17:49:24 pm »

pictures dave don't have receive mine  Roll Eyes

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 23:04:50 pm »

Still waiting on mine too.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
luftkafer

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 04:23:27 am »

I got my HVW's yesterday. It is awesome!!!
Especially page 79 upper left corner. But then again I am bias.  Wink
Erich and Wendy

Cornpanzer

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 04:40:19 am »

Twas a good issue!  Love Lanny's car, cant wait to see it in person sometime.  Great spread on the Geers ride.

I talked to Deano this afternoon and issued the challenge for Feb 2009 - Find at least one car that fits the recipe from page 31 of the Feb 1975 issue.  A true Cal-Look car dechromed, T-Bars and a custom interior - no chrome fuch allowed!  Wink  (can I get an AMEN!)Challenge #2- Bring back that fantastic "California Look" logo.  Why would you have such an immediatly identifiable logo and not use it...sigh.. Wink

Its sad, there really is very few "Real" Cal-Look cars here in the US any more.  Now dont get me wrong, I am not criticizing cars with chrome trim and stock interiors - thats how my car is.  But honestly, after seeing some of the cars being built in Europe and England, it is starting to get my juices flowing to re-do my old 67.  When that day comes, no more being a wussy - the IDA's are going back on, the trim is getting shaved and US spec 67 front fenders with lucas lamps are going on!  Who knows, I may even try buggy bumpers.

Hey Deano, if I rebuild the car, can it be back in the magazine?   Grin Wink

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
lawrence

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 04:53:29 am »

Dave, it is great to hear say that you want to convert your car back into a true california looker. Lose the hairdryer and slap the IDAs back on. Your car looked the best when it was featured in the Jan. issue of vw trends.

So what did deano say about the challenge. I think it is a great idea. AMEN brother Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Cornpanzer

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:01:06 am »

Thanks Lawrence.  I am not saying I am changing....yet.  But that day will come.  I still have some things to work out with the turbo.  And man, once you have driven a turbo car.......its awfully hard to go back. Cool

I am sure Deano will chime in, but he has a legit point that there are not a whole lot of 100% traditional Cal-Look cars being built in North America.  Perhaps that is his challenge to us?!?!?

I want to see that black 67 from the greenhearts in HVWs......plus the beige car with the mag Americans, and the red 67 with the real BRMS and ragtop......man you guys do it right over there!

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 05:26:38 am »

First you have to destroy your 67 first..then rebuild every nut and bolt..I must be F'N crazy.. I drove the 65 two weeks ago with Geoff Peterson in the passenger seat..15 PSI on slicks, on the street..it will be hard to go back.. Wink

1967, the only year that matters.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 07:40:26 am »

Lanny, you have an e-mail...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 07:55:57 am »

I saw the new issue, other than Lanny's car, not sure what all the fuss is about?

I whole heartedly agree with you Dave! Problem is that supposedly traditional california look VW's dont sell magazines here in the States. So until then I will continue to read Ultra VW and Volksworld, where real California Lookers thrive.

And about your car, just put the package tray back in, convert it to n/a, and drive the Americans off the thing. Grin
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:58:00 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 13:04:27 pm »

Twas a good issue!  Love Lanny's car, cant wait to see it in person sometime.  Great spread on the Geers ride.

I talked to Deano this afternoon and issued the challenge for Feb 2009 - Find at least one car that fits the recipe from page 31 of the Feb 1975 issue.  A true Cal-Look car dechromed, T-Bars and a custom interior - no chrome fuch allowed!  Wink  (can I get an AMEN!)Challenge #2- Bring back that fantastic "California Look" logo.  Why would you have such an immediatly identifiable logo and not use it...sigh.. Wink

Its sad, there really is very few "Real" Cal-Look cars here in the US any more.  Now dont get me wrong, I am not criticizing cars with chrome trim and stock interiors - thats how my car is.  But honestly, after seeing some of the cars being built in Europe and England, it is starting to get my juices flowing to re-do my old 67.  When that day comes, no more being a wussy - the IDA's are going back on, the trim is getting shaved and US spec 67 front fenders with lucas lamps are going on!  Who knows, I may even try buggy bumpers.

Some people have a real problem with change. To me ,change is a good thing that drives peoples interests. Geers car is a perfect example of this. I personally couldn't wait to see the spread on his car, just awesome. Anyone can slap on a turbo and do 10's but to get those results with a N/A motor is wild. Lets continue to move forward and not revert back. Seeing mirrored images of car one after another is boring! I would like to know as well about the demise of the cal-look logo?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 13:06:39 pm by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 13:33:33 pm »

Its sad, there really is very few "Real" Cal-Look cars here in the US any more. 

There are still folks in the US building real cal-lookers. But it takes time.  Wink

--louis

Louis Brooks

Cornpanzer

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 14:36:26 pm »

Some people have a real problem with change. To me ,change is a good thing that drives peoples interests. Geers car is a perfect example of this. I personally couldn't wait to see the spread on his car, just awesome. Anyone can slap on a turbo and do 10's but to get those results with a N/A motor is wild. Lets continue to move forward and not revert back. Seeing mirrored images of car one after another is boring! I would like to know as well about the demise of the cal-look logo?

I agree with you Steve, but its been a long time since the "Cal-Look" Issue had a "pure" Cal-look car in it.  I will have to dig out my back issues, but Sarge's car may have been the last one.  (Apologies if I have overlooked one).  Its good to keep looking ahead, but in my opinion (whatever thats worth) you must also have the anchor in tradition. 

Personally, I would do one Cal-Look issue with some of the pure cars from the UK and Europe and see if we can inspire the Yanks again. Smiley  Of course, like Zach says, the Cal-Look issue is not the best seller.....sooo, what are you gonna do.  Huh

Just to be clear, I am not being critical of our friends at HVW's.  Just that looking at some of these cars here has got me thinking about our scene and even my own car.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 14:57:56 pm »

I agree with you Steve, but its been a long time since the "Cal-Look" Issue had a "pure" Cal-look car in it.  I will have to dig out my back issues, but Sarge's car may have been the last one.  (Apologies if I have overlooked one).  Its good to keep looking ahead, but in my opinion (whatever thats worth) you must also have the anchor in tradition. 

Personally, I would do one Cal-Look issue with some of the pure cars from the UK and Europe and see if we can inspire the Yanks again. Smiley  Of course, like Zach says, the Cal-Look issue is not the best seller.....sooo, what are you gonna do.  Huh

Just to be clear, I am not being critical of our friends at HVW's.  Just that looking at some of these cars here has got me thinking about our scene and even my own car.

I think you are right that Sarge's was the last traditional Cal-look style car in a HVW's Cal-look issue. Ultra VW has done a much better job of featuring traditional Cal-look cars. Probably because as you say they are building more of them across the pond. (And the quality is first rate too.) Us Americans have taken the look started by those like Bill S. and Dave Mason in the late 80s, early 90s to an extreme. The end result were the DRKC style of cars that we have been seeing the past few years in the HVWs Cal-look issue. They are Cal-lookers and the craftsmanship is very high but they are all starting to look the same. We need some more variety.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Tim C

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 15:05:46 pm »

I would say that VolksWorld have got a good mix of cars when it comes to Cal Look issues.

The black 67 and the red ragtop 67 that Dave mentioned were in the Feb 2007 magazine and the Gobi Biege ragtop is in the current Feb 2008 issue.

JG54 Greenhearts
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 15:12:07 pm »

mine was in the feb 2007 with kurt 67  Wink

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 15:46:00 pm »

mine was in the feb 2007 with kurt 67  Wink
really
Cornpanzer

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 16:08:52 pm »

Yeah, but you see I am not allowed to read Volksworld any more!    Wink Cheesy

(However, if somebody has an extra Feb 07 issue, I can supply you with a secret PO box and payment via a black op's courier service)   Grin

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 16:13:31 pm »

pm send  Wink

deano

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 19:15:54 pm »

I think you guys have answered your own questions about the use of the original California Look logo in this issue. I agree, the cars have evolved away (somewhat) from the original concept drawing, and we are aware of that. Somehow, using that logo on cars with full trim, etc., just didn't seem right. As you can tell from where those four Bugs came from (Texas, North Carolina, Vancouver/Canada and Westerminster/California), we traveled all over the country to find those, and not just the ones that were in our back yard. I fly a lot a miles each year and I just don't see cars with shaved chrome, that are done all the way in the original spirit of the California Look (at least here in the States). I am also well aware that there are some awesome cars built in Europe that do follow the guidelines much closer, and there is room for those, if we can obtain the photos and details. Is the Calfornia Look logo dead? No, it will be used again where it fits the bill.

What I think is important is that each of these four cars are not all '67s (a complaint from the past), only one has BRMs (another past gripe), are from locations other than southern California (yes, that one too), and they all have at least 200hp!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 19:21:04 pm »

What I think is important is that each of these four cars are not all '67s (a complaint from the past),

You can build a Cal-look car out of something other than a '67? Blasphemy I say!  Grin  Wink

It is still a great issue and don't think we don't appreciate all the hard work. It is the one issue I look forward too all year.

edit: I guess now the challenge is up to us Americans to start turning out some quality alternatives.

--louis
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 19:24:26 pm by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

Tim C

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 02:33:14 am »

Dave, if you need a Feb 07 or Feb 08 Volksworld let me know as I have few spare copies.

Cheers,

Tim

JG54 Greenhearts
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 03:09:08 am »

and they all have at least 200hp!

To me, it has nothing to do with horsepower. Its all about soul.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Gary Justus

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 03:44:53 am »

I agree about "soul" 100%. I also think that Cal-Look cars are either copied (the greatest form of appreciation) or survive.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 06:57:30 am »

To me, cal-look means two things: CLEAN and SIMPLE. Just because it doesn't fit the bill of the drawing of the Feb.75 issue doesn't mean it's not cal-look IMO. If that's the case Sarge's car wouldn't be traditional cal-look either with the bumper blades (at the time) and non shaved turn signals. I'll have to disagree with the refusal towards the logo of these cars in the current issue (whatever thats worth). Grin

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 09:41:51 am »

thanks richard and zach  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Cornpanzer

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 16:29:37 pm »

I'll have to disagree with the refusal towards the logo of these cars in the current issue (whatever thats worth). Grin

yep, I am with Steve on this Deano.  Smiley  Throwin the BS flag Grin   If none of the cars in the issue are worth the Cal-Look logo, then how can it be a cal-look issue?

Once again to be clear.  Im not saying just because they have trim they are not Cal-Look. Its not about being dechromed, its about soul! (good one Zach)  I just feel that we need to have at least one PURE cal-look car in the issue each year to act as an anchor or we will end up like we did in the 80s with everything being called Cal-look (multicolor graphics, pastels, the Thump Thump cars, etc)

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 17:01:38 pm »

AMEN!)AMEN!)AMEN!)AMEN!)AMEN!) Grin Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
deano

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 17:53:51 pm »

Believe it or not, there is a Bug in that issue without chrome trim. See page 67, bottom, red sedan. It may look like it has trim, but it doesn't. Actual trim has been shaved, but later, was airbrushed back on over smooth paint. Sedan belongs to Bob Foulk.

You guys need to explain this "soul" concept to me....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Cornpanzer

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 21:01:53 pm »

Yeah, you mean that one that is absolutly not Cal-Look?   Grin

Seriously though.....why would you dechrome a car and then paint it back on?  Huh  Whats next, one piece windows that are painted to look like vent windows?   Cheesy

Anyway....back to soul.  You cant define soul, but I am sure that you of anyone knows what it is Deano.  thats why we all love you!  Smiley

Once again I think my point is being missed.  All the feature cars in this issue are very cool and are "Cal-Look".  I am just craving at least one car per year that is pure!  Being dechromed does not mean something is Cal-Look, but IMO a Cal-look car in its purest sense must be dechromed.  (And the dechroming is simply one example....add T-bars, non-stock interiors, traditional wheels, etc to that list)  This is not to suggest that this is the ONLY way to do Cal-Look, I am just saying that here in the States we are losing track of our history.  Like I said before, I fear that we are sliding back towards the glitz and glamour cars of the 80s, where everything was called "Cal-Look".

The small print...(these comments are one opinionated persons opinion.  In no way am I being critical of my friends at HVW's (especially Deano) or the cars contained in this particular issue.  Just stirring the pot a little)

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: