The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:15:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Outlaw Flat Four 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Outlaw Flat Four 2008  (Read 24082 times)
ESH

« on: January 01, 2008, 16:52:49 pm »

For our European friends the calendar is now up for 2008. Anything on the list is confirmed but there may be a date or two to add later on. Smiley

http://www.outlawflatfour.com/
bigwigracecars

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 19:24:36 pm »

I really like what you guys are doing with this club.  Keep up the good work, and most of all, keep it fun.

Ric Campbell
Big Wig Race Cars
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 20:32:37 pm »

Good luck to the outlaws for 2008 & Keep up the good work, it wouldn't be the same without you Cool

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 22:49:38 pm »

I really like what you guys are doing with this club.  Keep up the good work, and most of all, keep it fun.

Thanks Ric for your kind words it good that guys over the pond appreciate what we are doing.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 22:54:00 pm »

Good luck to the outlaws for 2008 & Keep up the good work, it wouldn't be the same without you Cool

And thanks to Ron i know i keep saying it but i will be over soon to say hi.

Russell

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 00:31:36 am »

yer guys good luck from sunny scotland, all the best and keep the pedal to the floor or in Martins case keep the tow rope in under the hood !

Best Regards

Russell
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 00:34:01 am »

yer guys good luck from sunny scotland, all the best and keep the pedal to the floor or in Martins case keep the tow rope in under the hood !
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 00:38:26 am »

Ha Ha Ha you killing me my sides are splitting. Cheesy

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 10:17:54 am »

Thanks for sharing Mat, looks like a very interesting year.

Best rgs
Kalle

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 10:35:58 am »

It was good to have a catch up on Sunday, It's going to be a painful few months waiting for the new season to start

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
ESH

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 11:21:05 am »

Thanks Ric, we're not quite up with you guys in the States yet but one day who knows?  Whilst I can't speak for anyone else from what I've seen from the sidelines I think it's fair to say it's been a fun ride so far.  The series has been good but I think the European landscape is shifting too and that's complimenting what Outlaw Flat Four has been doing in the UK. DAS Drag Day, The SCC and the European Bug-In for example have all been great news. If you were ever thinking of visiting Europe to see what's going on I don't think there's been a better time. Maybe see you over here at some point? That said we still have to stop play time for our crappy winter, roll on the new season!

Smiley
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 01:53:03 am »

And thanks to Ron i know i keep saying it but i will be over soon to say hi.

Yes we all need to catch up. Give me a call when you are over at Glens next and I'll pop over. Cant do this week end but ok from then on.   

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
ESH

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 23:17:42 pm »

Udo

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:52:22 am »

Hi
On which event you like to wellcome some germans ? Or may be some other Europeans ?  Smiley

Udo

ESH

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 13:10:31 pm »

...which event you like to wellcome some germans ? Or may be some other Europeans...

Hi Udo,

First time over it’s probably best to keep it simple so I’d probably say a non MSA meet; on that basis looking at the calendar the Yanks Weekend / 30th Gary's Picnic would be a good one. We did it last year and it’s was a great weekend with a really cool atmosphere and though it’s not guaranteed yet there was talk of putting together a full field Outlaw VW vs V8 challenge so we could maybe use some hired guns from out of town. Since it’s May / June the weather should also be dry which is a good thing for people who are travelling long distances. If you like it you can always stick an MSA license application in the post whilst your here and come back in August too! Looking forward to seeing you over here at some point.

Mat.  Smiley
Udo

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 18:27:02 pm »

The June event was what i thought about . I personaly want to come over to one event . I promised it to Peter and Richie !! Smiley
What is the next big city to shakespeare raceway ?
Udo
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 18:54:37 pm by Udo » Logged

Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 22:41:43 pm »

Hi
On which event you like to wellcome some germans ? Or may be some other Europeans ?  Smiley

Udo

Hi guys,I hope to make it down this year too,would be great with some advice  Smiley

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 22:49:14 pm »

As Mat has said Yanks American Weekend / 30th Gary's Picnic May 31st & June 1st 2008 would be a good one to come over for.

I have been saying that it would be good to see some of you guys over here racing. Grin

Udo

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 06:55:33 am »

Hi

Udo

Hi guys,I hope to make it down this year too,would be great with some advice  Smiley

Hi Stian

Hope to see you at Bugin or Dragday too ?

Udo

Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 10:42:42 am »

Hi

Udo

Hi Stian

Hope to see you at Bugin or Dragday too ?

Udo

Hi Udo!
Yes hope so too.If the car stays in one piece through the summer and I hopefully got some money left ,I would like to race at dragday.I'm scared of the left side driving in the UK though,never tried that before :-\What is the next big city to shakespeare raceway..?

Neil Davies

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 10:46:09 am »

The June event was what i thought about . I personaly want to come over to one event . I promised it to Peter and Richie !! Smiley
What is the next big city to shakespeare raceway ?
Udo

Hi Udo, the nearest town is Stratford Upon Avon.

The link to multimap is here: http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|cv37%208ll#t=l&map=52.13553,-1.74467|8|4&loc=GB:52.13553:-1.74467:15|cv37%208ll|CV37%208LL

Motorway links are fairly good, but there are some smaller roads to get the the track which can be a bit of a pain!

See you in June!
Neil

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Ole

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 10:52:49 am »

Is it necessary to have a license at shakespeare-raceway? What about the tech-inspection? Is it possible to race a, well, let's say very 70'ish car?

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
Neil Davies

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 11:14:16 am »

Is it necessary to have a license at shakespeare-raceway? What about the tech-inspection? Is it possible to race a, well, let's say very 70'ish car?

For that meeting, you only need a valid license for the road, and your European one should be fine. As far as the car goes... I'm not sure. There is a basic Tech inspection, carried out by the same guys who do the MSA events if I remember rightly, but I really don't know what they will make of the Pink Panther! I only ever raced there in MSA meetings, so perhaps one of the other Outlaws might have a better idea? Richie, Martin, Mat?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
ESH

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 12:10:57 pm »

For that meeting, you only need a valid license for the road, and your European one should be fine. As far as the car goes... I'm not sure. There is a basic Tech inspection, carried out by the same guys who do the MSA events if I remember rightly, but I really don't know what they will make of the Pink Panther! I only ever raced there in MSA meetings, so perhaps one of the other Outlaws might have a better idea? Richie, Martin, Mat?

Ole, As Neil says it is a basic tech inspection but cars are getting faster so accordingly the tech gets margianally tougher every year to account for this. If you send me detailed pics of the car I can try to get an opinion on it but it will be no more than that. They are looking at general safety so everything should be sealed nicely, without leaks and the car should be in a generally sound state. From what I remember of the car it should be OK but that's not to say I'm right and it's a long way to come not to have a ride! One thing to bear in mind is that the cockpit should be isolated from stuff like wheels, engine and fuel so any gaps in panels are a potential issue. I can talk to one of the scrutineers in May if I have some photo's and prior to this I can ask a couple of the club guys who are well up on the regulations and who will be able to advise accordingly.

...The June event was what i thought about . I personaly want to come over to one event... What is the next big city to shakespeare raceway...

As Neil said Statford-Upon-Avon is the nearest town and it's just South of Birmingham, if you wanted to stagger the journey and head over here a little before the weekend we can sort stuff out this end.

...I'm scared of the left side driving in the UK though,never tried that before...

You'll be fine, kind of. The standard of driving in the UK is OK but not brilliant so you just have to look out for yourself and assume no one else will! If you're on the wrong side of the road it'll become fairly obvious fairly quickly. With anything else we'd be happy to help you out at this end like places to stay etc etc. Just let us know.

Smiley
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 12:22:59 pm »

Thanks Neil/Mat,appreciate your help.I'll have a talk to guys around here that have raced in the UK like Leif Nyström,and get some more advice regarding the best driving route and so on.How is the track compared to Gardermoen?

ESH

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 13:00:54 pm »

Thanks Neil/Mat,appreciate your help.I'll have a talk to guys around here that have raced in the UK like Leif Nyström,and get some more advice regarding the best driving route and so on.How is the track compared to Gardermoen?

Gardermoen appears to be a very good track, I watched fast VW's on it as well as stuff like that crazy 7 second M3 and they seemed to dig in nicely (once it dried out! - SCC 2006). Shakespeare County is probably not quite as good as that but it is nonetheless a good track with quality prep going into it. I say 'not quite as good' as I think it could be argued, based on times that Gardermoen may well be Europe's 'best' track if there is such a thing. I think the average VW will find it to be very similar but the really quick stuff may find subtle differences.
 Smiley
Thinking about it, it's worth bearing in mind that we don't have as many trees here as you guys so there's probably no point bringing any of the tree fellling gear I've seen used over there.
 Cheesy
Neil Davies

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 13:05:16 pm »

Not sure on Gardermoen as I've never been, but from what I read on Eurodragster and places like that, it's pretty good! SCR is also a good track, if a little slow on the clean-up time! Rain can be a problem as they don't have a track drier, although they sometimes hire Santa Pods. Facilities like toilets and showers are basic though! My girlfriend even insisted we bought a caravan... Wink

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 13:45:00 pm »

Thinking about it, it's worth bearing in mind that we don't have as many trees here as you guys so there's probably no point bringing any of the tree fellling gear I've seen used over there.
 Cheesy

Ok, but will lumber be provided?  Wink

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
ESH

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 15:40:07 pm »

Ok, but will lumber be provided?  Wink

If you really don't think that you guys could survive a whole weekend without some kind of timber / lumber based activities then I'm sure we can look into providing some.

Cheesy
gingabloke

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 17:25:19 pm »

Plenty of spare timber in the UK, but you'd better be quick!

Smiley

It's only a bodge if it fails...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: