The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:11:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Outlaw Flat Four 2008
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Outlaw Flat Four 2008  (Read 24085 times)
Udo

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 18:22:14 pm »

Stian

Driving on the left side should not be a problem . When i arrived for the first time in 1993 in the night with trailer it rained cats and dogs and we traveled throug the night with no problems .
But never try to stay for some hours on a hotel parking space , they will tell you to move to another place  Wink no matter how big it is .

Udo

richie

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 18:29:03 pm »

Ole,your car will be fine,they check basic stuff like battery being fixed down,seat fixed securly,belts in good condition,brakes working[rear only is ok:-) ]
and 2 return springs on carbs etc,all simple safety stuff,very similar to Bitburg,looking forward to seeing you all in England Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 21:00:05 pm »

Cheesy Thanks for the info Udo,I'll write it down.Hope we can make this trip,would be great to meet you guys again.

Ole

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 08:24:44 am »

Neil, Mat and Richie, thanks for your help. I'll take some pics today and mail them to Mat. I just checked the RWYB safety requirements, they say you don't need a helmet if your car isn't in the 10s... Shocked
I wonder how often they hear something like "... no sir, I really didn't know my car is that fast..." Roll Eyes

Saludos,
Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
ESH

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 10:37:28 am »

...I'll take some pics today and mail them to Mat. I just checked the RWYB safety requirements, they say you don't need a helmet if your car isn't in the 10s...

I think what Richie says is correct so you should be fine but I can ask someone to take a look at the photos all the same. On the helmet front if you have one then bring it, having one may not be mandatory but I think they like it when people have taken a little more care than they needed to. It's an extra level of reassurance for them that you are taking safety seriously.

Smiley
nicolas

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 10:51:21 am »

hope to see you guys in action on a couple off times in action. it is a great feast if you guys come. friendly and serious action combined
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 17:58:26 pm »

Thanks Neil/Mat,appreciate your help.I'll have a talk to guys around here that have raced in the UK like Leif Nyström,and get some more advice regarding the best driving route and so on.How is the track compared to Gardermoen?

Gardermoen appears to be a very good track, I watched fast VW's on it as well as stuff like that crazy 7 second M3 and they seemed to dig in nicely (once it dried out! - SCC 2006).

Yep,he's crazy..

Udo

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 23:19:55 pm »

How are you comming over from England to Germany or Belgium  , by ferry or channeltunnel ?

Udo

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 23:23:16 pm »

www.norfolkline.com/ferry/

Dunkerque to Dover

This is how we all come over.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Udo

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2008, 10:45:05 am »

We took the ferry from Calais to dover when we traveled to Santa Pod in the 90's . So we only have to choose may/june or end of june  Huh

Udo

ESH

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2008, 10:44:08 am »

The May/June meet (Gary's Picnic) is the one to try and make I think. The NSRA meet is great but we have an agreement with the NSRA whereby the number of VW's are limited which helps ensure that the Hot Rod focus of the event is preserved.

Smiley

Christofe

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2008, 22:07:19 pm »

Hi Matt,

Hope you're doing fine.

We (all DAS member) would like to know what would be the best week-end to come over.

What are the facilities ? Entrance fee ? and so on, tell us everything in order for us to organize this properly....

Mike told me, he (or Kobus) already had a word with you guys concerning the possibility to orgnanize a kind of "European Challenge"

including races at
- BUG IN 2
- DDAY 6
- SSC
- UK ?

any interest ?

Thanks

C U soon and take care guys ...

Christofe
Udo

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2008, 22:55:28 pm »

Mat and others told us the 28 may - 1 june event would be the best . For us 28 june event would be ok. Don't know what is going on there . A european challange would be nice !

Udo

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2008, 23:32:57 pm »

Hi Christofe

Hope you are well May 3rd, 4th & 5th/August 23rd, 24th & 26th are MSA rounds. So the May/June meet (Gary's Picnic) would be best for everyone. I can not find how much it is to get in this year Mat may know. But last year it was at Santa Pod and it was £25 for the weekend. Facilities are not the best in the world bit like Bitburg but they are hot showers and they are some food vans there. As it is near Stratford-Upon-Avon they are lot of hotels and bed and breakfast 5/10 minutes away  if you do not want to stay at the track.

Hope this help a little I'm sure Mat or Richie will be on here with more info.

gingabloke

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 00:07:55 am »

Found on the American Car World site:

Yanks Weekend & NASC 30th Gary's Picnic
10am - 6pm Saturday 11am - 5pm Sunday
Entry Fee: £10 Sat - £15 Sun - £20 weekend
RWYB Track Fee: £20 per day or £35 weekend
Email: enquiries@shakespearecountyraceway.co.uk
Tel No: 01789 720 180
Comments: Celebration of American cars & American drag racing (getting upset by a bunch of VWs! Wink)

Smiley

It's only a bodge if it fails...
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2008, 00:10:25 am »

Nice one ginaga any news on your car

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2008, 00:15:37 am »

Correct me if Im wrong , but upsetting Detroit mussel is what got this whole cal look thing going in the first place
GO OUTLAW'S  Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
gingabloke

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2008, 11:26:13 am »

The Shakey website isn't the most useful I've seen!

This may be of use to visiting folk, Run Wot You Brung info PDF

Nice one ginaga any news on your car

All I know is the container's on its way. Mind you, all these ships shedding loads and beaching is making me nervous!  Shocked

It's only a bodge if it fails...
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2008, 11:28:55 am »

All I know is the container's on its way. Mind you, all these ships shedding loads and beaching is making me nervous!  Shocked

That's why i'm sort of glad our car han't left yet Smiley

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
ESH

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2008, 12:27:14 pm »

Hi Christofe,
All good here though it's been pretty busy. It would be great if you guys came over too, I think you'll like it. OK to address your questions and at risk of repeating what people have already said it's going to be about £30 to get in and to sign on for the RWYB for the weekend is I think about the same again. In terms of the facilities they're actually OK, on paper Santa Pod has more loos than SCR and has had extensive development but the crowd at SCR isn't generally there for a party and are more interested in racing so everything tends to be in a much better state over the course of an average weekend. The track can be pretty quick too, it works pretty well for us; last year we had a meet there where 3/4 of the cars took Personal Bests! For any help required getting over here mail or PM me or one of the other guys and we'll help sort anything out. If anyone is thinking of coming over a few days earlier or leaving a few days later or both I'm sure we'd be able to find places for people to stay. A European Challenge is a good idea and with the type of race focussed events that are starting to dominate the European landscape this is probably a good time to do it. We can probably sort something out with the track. I think we should maybe get together and talk on the phone or something?
Thanks for the interest!
Cheers, Mat.
Smiley
ESH

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2008, 14:33:33 pm »

Yanks Weekend & NASC 30th Gary's Picnic
10am - 6pm Saturday 11am - 5pm Sunday
Entry Fee: £10 Sat - £15 Sun - £20 weekend
RWYB Track Fee: £20 per day or £35 weekend
Email: enquiries@shakespearecountyraceway.co.uk
Tel No: 01789 720 180

I'm having a busy week and didn't get to read all the above fully before posting, for the prices see Ginga's post above, it's more accurate than my guess work!

Smiley
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 19:43:07 pm »

Really want to join the racing at the May/June meet (Gary's Picnic).Got a quote today from DFDS,the ferry from Stavanger to Newcastle.Almost fell of my chair when I read it,with three of us-car-trailer and the cheapest cabin below deck-£895!With cabin over deck-£1096! Shocked Now looking if there are other options.Maybe ferry from Oslo to Kiel,drive from there to Dunkerque and then ferry to Dover-is this a possibility..?Fjord Line had a route from Kristiansand to Newcastle,but don't think it's active anymore.Mat/Richie,what ferry did you use to SCC? Other suggestions are much appreciated.

Regards, Stian

Roman

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 22:12:52 pm »

Hi Stian,
If I should take my car to the UK from northern Sweden I would use the vessels that export paper. We have vessels leaving three days a week to he UK from the small harbour in my town.
I hve checked the price before and it is about 3000 SEK.
Maybe some Norwegian paper or pulp exporter could make the same deal?
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 22:31:24 pm »

Hi Roman,nice to hear from you!
That's one thing I really have to check out.If I don't find that kind of option here in Norway,maybe we could leave from Sweden..?A friend of mine checked with a freight boat,they wanted almost £1000-one way..Do you have a email or name to that paper export company Roman?

Stian Smiley

Roman

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 22:42:19 pm »

The company I asked was SCA and the shipping company SCA transforest. They have a quite big manufacturing unit in Mölnlycke, Sweden.
What I would check if I was you was Wallenius Lines. They are a swedish company and transports Volvo, Saab etc to the UK. Gothenburg is not far from you, right? Wallenius is the bigges car carriers in the world with 180 vessels!
Rasser

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 22:52:35 pm »

Why not travel Oslo-Frederikshavn and then drive the last bit ?  Must be a lot cheaper, and it can´t take that much longer.

And there must be a couple of ferries that sails to Hirtshals as well - right ?

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
ESH

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 11:47:22 am »

We did the Newcastle to Kristiansand route and I think that was the last year they ran it, the equivalent route now is the Stavanger one. The best alternative seems to be a long drive and then get across the channel on one of the cheap ferries. The Wallenius Lines lead could be interesting though.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 13:01:39 pm »

Here`s another one;

From Brevik to Hull there is a ro ro boat going. It costs 750,- pr meter. Drop of your trailer and car there, take a cheap flight from Sandefjord Torp (which is close by Brevik) and pick up your trailer and car in UK.

And this goes for the other way around as well.

Best rgs
Kalle

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
ESH

« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2008, 12:25:28 pm »

...From Brevik to Hull there is a ro ro boat going. It costs 750,- pr meter. Drop of your trailer and car there, take a cheap flight from Sandefjord Torp (which is close by Brevik) and pick up your trailer and car in UK.

And this goes for the other way around as well...

Sounds like a good way of doing it, not a bad run from Oslo. Is that Is that 750 Norwegian Kroner?
jr59

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2008, 10:28:48 am »

this year,we decide to go to the major event with Ingrid new car so,surely go to EBI II,DDD,frenchy races  and we're actualy try to estimate if we can also go to one of your event in england... Wink
I remenber my first trip in UK for a night of fire in santa pod...awesome Grin Grin
                            JR

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: