The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 20:33:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Enginecase which one to chose ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Enginecase which one to chose ?  (Read 2419 times)
Felix/DFL

« on: January 03, 2008, 23:36:20 pm »

Hi Guys,

I have a question about an enginecase. I am building an 2,2ltr for my typ-3 notch and have nearly every part for the long block but are not sure what enginecase to chose.

I know there is a difference of diameter the oilgallerys.

I read that cases with one oilpressurerelief have small gallerys and the later which came with 2 oilreliefs have a larger diameter.

Is that correctly so ?

The thing is that I have a very nice 45 PS typ3 block with 8mm cyl.bolts, cause I want to go with 94mm pistons, but it has only one oilrelief. Do I see the difference when I pull the oilpump and measure the oilpump outbore ?

Best greetings,

Felix
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 22:32:43 pm »

hey how come your case has 8mm studs for the cylinders and only one oilpressure relief valve? has it been machined?
regardless of that i think you can use it. there are other singlerelief cases that have been used in highperformance engines. but i think you can check the oilgalleries off your case. on the left side of the case there is a gallerie that runs from the oilpump with a 45° angle. there at the end off it (where it meets with a downward 45° gallerie) there is a plug in the middle (there are 2 but it is the topone you need to measure). if it is a big one it has 10mm oil galleries and if it is a small one it has 8mm galleries. right above it at the top of the case (under the distributor) there is another plug that has the same diameter. the plus has a diameter off roughly 12mm. hope this helps.
and why don't you use a universal case or have a type1 case and drill a hole at the bottom to have the oilfiller installed. i did that. and welded up the type1 measure hole.
Felix/DFL

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 18:07:16 pm »

Hi Nicolas,

thank`s for the reply. I will look at the plugs Wink
Yes you are right it`s an reworked one ! It looks that they have changed to 8mm studs.
Got two nice books this morning that cleared some questions...  Wink

I don`t want to go with an aftermarket case cause I have two typ3 engines laying around.
The second one is a 54Ps with dual reliefs but 10mm bolts but that could be changed with case savers as I know. But the 54ps looks a bit suspect and I don`t know the "history" of that one...
Only if they both turn out nonusable I will go with an aftermarket one...So why spend about 400€ ?

Best greetings,
Felix
besserwisser

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 00:12:27 am »

It really doesn´t matter what type of case you use as long as the case is straight and it has been linebored.After all most engines have seen a lot of miles and very few doesn´t need a linebore.I have built several semi hi po motors on old single relief cases with no problems at all.I still have my old 1914cc motor that was built on a type three early case. Gave close to 150hp on the dyno at Bug Run 1995 and is still a kick to drive.Just blueprint your old cases and use them. They wont let you down.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: