The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 00:54:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Sarge's DKP Ancient History Cruise
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Sarge's DKP Ancient History Cruise  (Read 26606 times)
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2008, 05:58:16 am »

thanks steve for the cool info...im still healing up my detail spirits for next time if still wanting  again..?? >>> some good shots of "the rolling blackout" in volksworld 07 issue on page 36..fyi     ...and deano...ssssshhhhh..!! LOL...with good progress...sans the rain ...all should be ready around april..!! good weather for a certain blue 67...??  and some good fun for all..!!
Thanks for the info. Dyno. Rolling Blackout only occurs in Dyno fashion! Yer the man...

Now back to our history class..... Grin

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Sarge

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2008, 17:14:26 pm »

Great photos. Isn't it grand that Sarge was around back then to take those snap shots in person? From what I hear, the mighty DKP could return to the Chestnut/Anaheim Blvd. (general) location for a monthly cruise...... With the huge redevolopment going on in that area, a certain land baron with a soft spot for the club and fast VWs, has something in mind that will be very cool. Stay tuned.

thanks steve for the cool info...im still healing up my detail spirits for next time if still wanting  again..?? >>> some good shots of "the rolling blackout" in volksworld 07 issue on page 36..fyi     ...and deano...ssssshhhhh..!! LOL...with good progress...sans the rain ...all should be ready around april..!! good weather for a certain blue 67...??  and some good fun for all..!!

Let's see...2+2+Bill Taoromina =  Grin  Cool Grin Cool

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2008, 00:05:52 am »

got to hand it to a guy like Sarge, still doing this stuff after all those years...(no offense dude). Like it was said in another post, being part of the scene that these guys started 40+ years ago is an honor. To drive around OC and see some of the old haunts these guys used to frequent is pretty special. I wouldn't have been saving my dough for Webers for my VW when I was 17 if Sarge and his friends wouldn't have chased down the V8 crew way back when. To hang out at Nicks and have Sarge and Mike Mahaffey, Roger Crawford and Ron Fleming hanging around with us, it's like hanging out backstage with your favorite band or something.

What did you call these places, Sarge, "hallowed ground?"

Carlos De Alba

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2008, 00:07:37 am »

got to hand it to a guy like Sarge, still doing this stuff after all those years...(no offense dude). Like it was said in another post, being part of the scene that these guys started 40+ years ago is an honor. To drive around OC and see some of the old haunts these guys used to frequent is pretty special. I wouldn't have been saving my dough for Webers for my VW when I was 17 if Sarge and his friends wouldn't have chased down the V8 crew way back when. To hang out at Nicks and have Sarge and Mike Mahaffey, Roger Crawford and Ron Fleming hanging around with us, it's like hanging out backstage with your favorite band or something.

AMEN dude!!!!...................... 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 00:11:14 am by Carlos De Alba » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Sarge

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2008, 00:36:48 am »

What did you call these places, Sarge, "hallowed ground?"

AMEN dude!!!!...................... 

Hey, thanks for all the nice words, guys.  Over the years, I've often wondered why I kept at it for so long and I've come to the conclusion that it's the people.  I've kicked around the idea of building a street rod over the years, but I don't know anybody in street rod land...all of my friends are VW people, my career has spun around VW's and I would be hard pressed to not be a part of the scene anymore.  As for hallowed ground, you bet it is!  Thanks for the props.

DKP III
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2008, 02:45:08 am »

Hey, thanks for all the nice words, guys.  Over the years, I've often wondered why I kept at it for so long and I've come to the conclusion that it's the people.  I've kicked around the idea of building a street rod over the years, but I don't know anybody in street rod land...all of my friends are VW people, my career has spun around VW's and I would be hard pressed to not be a part of the scene anymore.  As for hallowed ground, you bet it is!  Thanks for the props.

VW people are what keep me coming back even though it's been over 25 years since I've had a running car.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
deano

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2008, 17:25:22 pm »

With all this talk and photos of the famous Pickwick Hotel.... here are a few questions that Sarge needs to answer; Did anyone known ever stay at the Hotel? What was the rent for the clubhouse? Did anyone ever sleep over night in the clubhouse? And why there? I think the DKP needs a new club house, one with the same level of charm, decorating theme (or lack of) and rodant population.  Besides, when the DKP moved out, the Pickwick Hotel went downhill, and the only thing left was to level it...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 01:50:27 am by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2008, 21:05:15 pm »

sarge here's a picture of your headquater Cool Cool
pict take from KS bible pict from ron F 

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2008, 22:09:24 pm »

That was a wonderful history lesson Sarge !
A few years ago, Glenn Miller, who was the staff Empi photographer took me on an all day guided tour of Riverside to show me where all the old shops and Empi buildings used to be.
I'll never forget it .
 Grin
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 00:24:03 am by Richard Roth » Logged
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2008, 22:20:53 pm »

Last Sunday morning, the wife and I drove down to The Original House of Pancakes in Anaheim for breakfast.  Afterwards, we decided to take a look at downtown Anaheim and visit some of the old DKP "historical hot spots."  As we were looking around, I thought it might be fun to drive back home and get the bug and the camera and share some of the history with you guys...  I tried the black and white deal for the nostalgic look  Roll Eyes Grin

I didn't take this first pic, but it will give you a feel for downtown Anaheim in the early '60's.  The Pickwick on the right was our old meeting place.  It was established in 1929 and demolished in 1988.

Hey Sarge, very cool shots! I think you have the best pictures on anyone. I know Greg Bunch has a big collection also. It would be great to get him on this site.

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2008, 22:25:25 pm »

yes   Cool Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2008, 00:05:11 am »

Left to right...Mike Johnston, Ron Fleming, Jerry Harmon and Craig Foster.  Cool Wink

DKP III
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2008, 18:19:35 pm »

We need to get Glenn on here too!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
johnl

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2008, 00:21:59 am »

Thanks, Sheep!  Heading south on Anaheim Blvd, the next stop is at the old site of The Warehouse which was the club's favorite watering hole.  The bar was about forty feet long and had a conveyor belt inside it with passing Playboy jokes attached to it and was lit up with Christmas bulbs  Cool Cool Cool!!  There were cool posters on every square inch of wall space.  Many a heated game of FosBall were played here, too!  Grin  Next door to The Warehouse is where it all began...the original location of Schneider Motors.  Mike Mahaffey spent all his spare time (and money!) here.  John Lazenby spent a lot of time here, too.  I got my first of many Porsche diaphram clutch jobs done here.  Cool 

Is that the same Schneider Motors that was later located on Chapman in Orange??

It is the same Schneider Motors.  I attended a surprise party for Joe Schenider when he retired in 1997 and his son Norbert took the business over.  It has now been sold and I have no idea what happened to Joe.  Two things I'll always remember about that event was that Joe was so happy to see me after several years and as everyone said how long they had known him I blew them all away as I stated since 1963.   He could be in his late 70's or early 80's now.  We use to receive a Christmas card from them every year, but then that stopped.  Life is a precious thing so enjoy it while you have it before you.

John Lazenby

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: