The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:56:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350797 Posts in 28593 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Got too many projects?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Got too many projects?  (Read 6374 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« on: January 10, 2008, 03:16:50 am »

Ive got a problem. Ive never sold a car. I get attached to them.

The '67 Beetle. Its a rolling body all blown apart sitting outside at my dad's house waiting for me. It was my first car, and I cant bear the thought of letting it go, even though in the condition it is in, its bearly worth the ground it's sitting on. Not to mention I havent touched it in years because I have no garage space avaliable to me, nor the money to make some real progress. I have big plans for this car though... Kind of a street/gasser if you will. Over the years Ive collected lots of vintage performance parts for it- Porsche Cosmics (Cosmic steering wheel and throttle pedal as well), fiberglass hood w/ gauge pod, scooped '67 decklid, parts to build an all Treuhaft 1835cc, parts to build a completely Race-Trim IDA'd 2276cc, and so so so much more that I could fill this page right up. All the '67 only stuff like SB12's, window cranks, and on, and on, and on. Goal was to make it very light, streetable, get 11.90's on pump gas (with the big motor), and look like it walked straight out of '76. I would probably get buried in it, too! Grin

The pair of '68 Fastbacks. I got one Fastback off of a buddy of mine years ago when the '67 was out of commission. Then I started to like it. I spent waaayy too much money building a fantastic 1776 that I put maybe 35k miles on in 2 years driving it all over the Southwest. I bought a second '68 through Luke with a better body, the plan was to put the two together with the 1776 cum 1915. Make a great daily driver in a few months time. Yeah, that never happened. When I moved back to my hometown I modified the plan... the two Fastbacks would become one still, but now as a Cal Looker. Of course with Race-Trim parts (I told you, Ive got a lot!), Hurst Indy shifter, Mahle 4 lugs, T3 tach, trip speedo, black plates, EMPI wheel, and tons of other cool period performance details. Berg 42 Specials with shortened velocity stacks and CSP bellcrank linkage! Cool!  Cool Plan was to build the car, get a little notariaty, and then sell it and move on to the next project (my '67). But who am I kidding? After all that, I could probably never sell the damn thing. Now, one is sitting next to my '67 at dad's, and the other is outside the VW shop a couple doors down from where I work. Rusting.

The GTV. My pride and joy. I got really lucky on this car. If it was just a regular Beetle it would have been a great deal for the price I paid for it. It got me back into a VW after not driving one for a few years.... man did that feel great. And it fits my personality to the tee. The more I drive it, the more I really want to do the car justice. Make it a real Grand Touring Volkswagen. Im talking the whole bit... EMPIfied engine and ZF equipped Berg 5 speed top the list, but really pay attention to the entire car and get it all dialed in so I could hop in the thing and drive it across the country tomorrow if I wished. It lives at the upholstery shop I work in. Which is nice, because it stays indoors and its all locked up very safely. My boss is a pretty cool guy Smiley

Not to mention I have the (bad?) habit of buying parts at swap meets with the intention of immediately selling them for a profit... then I build a car around the parts in my head. Ive got parts for 3-4 more Cal Look influenced VWs that Ive been collecting for years. Skat-Trak intakes, DDS IDA intakes, a good valve cover collection, 010's, 4Tuned headers, and more wheels and  pullies and other crap than you can shake a stick at. So here is what Im thinking. Except for the GTV and parts related to it... Sell off the whole lot

Just the mere thought scares the shit outta me. Ive been searching these parts out for the better part of 10 years. And I dig 'em Smiley But I could get the GTV "done" with that equity. Not have to worry about my dad bitching at me  Roll Eyes Probably pay off a good portion of my truck and/or student loans as well. And only have one project car on my mind, and soon it could be "finished".

So what shall I do? And dont say, "Sell it all to me for cheap!" Because that isnt helping me make my decision (quite the opposite, really), and to be honest, Im not going to let this all go for cheap. If I get rid of this stuff, I want maximum $$$ for it, because that is the only way it would help me accomplish my goals. Its getting harder and harder to find these bits, so I dont think selling them all now and buying it all back up at the swap meet someday is going to happen, either.

Help me out here guys! It sounds really stupid, but Im really stressed out over this!  Sad

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:34:32 am »

just a idea finish one and injoy it . it would be nice to have one of every thing but figure out whats important then sell the rest, o ya did i forget to say one thing , enjoy life and if you have one late 5 spoke , i would be interested

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:43:43 am »

I have too much crap in my garage but most of it isn't mine.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:55:51 am »

just a idea finish one and injoy it . it would be nice to have one of every thing but figure out whats important then sell the rest, o ya did i forget to say one thing , enjoy life and if you have one late 5 spoke , i would be interested

First of all I gotta say, Danny I admire your work!

I would love to finish one, I can do the bodywork, borrow a paint booth, and I do interiors for a living. I could do 99% of the Fastback with my own two hands. I probably wouldnt even loose much money!  Cheesy But I still need $$$ to get going, and a garage to do the work in Sad If I can build and sell one, I could honestly see that getting the ball rolling for the future projects.

Sorry, I dont have any late 5 spokes, unless you are interested in repro's.

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:02:20 am »

Other people's opinions on this subject never seem to help, at least in my experience.  For instance, I'd recommend losing the T3s.  The '67 project sounds way cooler that you could make a fastback.

As for my projects, I don't have too many, I think I just have all the wrong ones!   Roll Eyes

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:57:51 pm »

although my situation is nothing like yours, i see what you mean.
but hey, you oughta get going with those projects! think about what you wanna do in the short term instead of saving manifolds for an engine you may perhaps build one day to go into some car. these are just the 2 cents i'm handing out over here.

i'd say sell off some parts, and yes if they're worth it go for some good revenues - you may wanna be a bit lenient on us loungers  Wink

your plans for your 67 sound awesome! a 70ies lookers with 2 engines  Cool reminds me of an old HotVW magazine i have i think it's the cal-look issue of '76...
use your gtv for some reliability - i wouldn't go for a 5 speed there since you can do other things with that money.
and see what you can make of the fastbacks, but if you've already decided you wanna sell one when it's done. i'm not too sure if it brings you the same joy as building your 67!

just my thought.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 13:07:20 pm by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 13:17:54 pm »

I know what you mean Zach. I've got my brother's US-spec '67-look-a-like '68 back (was mine when I started driving 13 years ago!), which really needs going through, my '51 which I've yet to start, and the '70/'72 project late-model looker that has so far taken every repair panel available and a few thousand miles of welding wire! I got rid of another '70 when I realised I didn't really need it, and I try not to look at things for sale as I haven't got money, time or space for anything new! As for parts, I've got the 12-sec 2007 that Dad wants to have freshened up before it goes into the '68, a 2276 IDA motor that needs a new crank, case and pulley (yeah, the pulley came off and trashed the other two bits... Roll Eyes) and pretty much enough parts to build another milder 2276! I've got more sets of wheels than cars, and then there's the boxes full of crap I'll probably never use but I've kept "just in case"!!! Cheesy

But I do have a plan! The '70/'72 will be sold when it's done, I've already decided that. The money from that will pay for parts for and work on the other two, so I've already mentally distanced myself from the car and not got too attached to it like I am with the others. Smiley
If I had your stack of stuff I'd plan out the '67 project to the last detail and sort out everything you need for it. Put all the stuff away and store it until you are ready to do it. Likewise, work out what you want to use on the GTV (both short term and long term) and store the long term stuff away. Do the work you want to do short term on the GTV and consider it done until after the next project. Which will be the fastbacks. You've got one which is a good driver and another one which is a good body so I'd advertise them like that. Get them both driving and sell them - the money can be put into a seperate bank account to spend only on VWs, not get bogged down in paying for everyday stuff! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 20:07:57 pm »

It is something about VWs. You really cant just own one. They multiply like rabbits. (BTW, if you want to unload one of the fastys...no wait, never mind.)

Fortunately I have been pretty good this time with the '67. My problem there is do I spend the money to keep it on the road while I collect parts for the resto, or do I spend the money on the parts I need for the resto.  Cheesy

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
bathing ape

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 20:14:01 pm »

when i was reading your first post i was thinking,so why not sell the stuff and concentrate on one car (gtv),get it done how you really want it,you can tell you're proud of it(rightly so) so i think do that car,once its the way you want it then decide if you need another vw/load of parts
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 20:18:29 pm »

when i was reading your first post i was thinking,so why not sell the stuff and concentrate on one car (gtv),get it done how you really want it,you can tell you're proud of it(rightly so) so i think do that car,once its the way you want it then decide if you need another vw/load of parts

Yeah, I would agree. Unload most of your crap and concentrate on the gtv. I have bought and sold so many cars through the years. You will get over selling them. Especially when you see the progress you will be making on the yellow car. Just think of it this way, most of that stuff is not really all that hard to replace. Its not like we are talking 356 As here.

--louis

Louis Brooks

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 14:16:05 pm »

I agree with paul
concentrate you on the gtv and sell your parts but email me the list before Wink Cheesy
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 17:12:42 pm »

I have a rule..If I'm not using it, it's gone. More shelves = More junk. The pattern I've seen over the years is, the guys with the most junk/parts/unfinished cars rarely ever finish one. All talk, no results.  Concentrate on one at a time IMHO/

1967, the only year that matters.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 17:21:19 pm »

If I'm not using it, it's gone.

So true.  So hard to achieve!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
The Ideaman

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 18:49:05 pm »

My thoughts are to  keep the gtv and 67.  Off the sloback and stinky pinky as a pair to somebody who will finish them.  Unload some of the junk to finance your berg 5 and motors for the remaining pair.  Oh, and don't tell my wife about this thread.  She always says that anything on the shelf for more than a year is unneeded and needs to go.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 20:06:06 pm by The Ideaman » Logged

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 19:21:19 pm »

I have a rule..If I'm not using it, it's gone. More shelves = More junk. The pattern I've seen over the years is, the guys with the most junk/parts/unfinished cars rarely ever finish one. All talk, no results.  Concentrate on one at a time IMHO/

i wish i could do that. i envy that state off mind. i always keep asking if i should keep parts and stuff for the car later or a different one. and end up buying an all together different part in the end.  Undecided

but i must say it is the best way to do things as otherwise project cost way more then you thought they would.

btw: have you been talking to my girlfriend  Wink
Mike Maize

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 19:54:53 pm »

I am with Lanny on this one.....I am currently cleaning house!
SlingShot

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 20:32:26 pm »

My thoughts are to  keep the gtv and 67.  Off the sloback and stinky pinky as a pair to somebody who will finish them.  Unload some of the junk to finance your berg 5 and motors for the remaining pair.  Oh, and don't tell my wife about this thread.  She always says that anything on the shelf for more than a year is unneeded and needs to go.

I agree with Luke, but you know that Zach. I've been telling you for (3) years to dump those fastys. Wink

Will Race For Beer !!!
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 22:09:45 pm »

Projects.... I understand your situation!

I've had no place to store any car for years but somehow managed to collect;
-a 67 cal looker wich is now almost finished, just needs an interior
-a Karmann with  LOADS off work on it
-a 70 Westfalia bus that had a major frontal accident
and a 66 cal looker that is gotha be restored

I thought off getting rid off some off them alot
BUT now I bought a house and finally have the place to store them all so I'm happy I didnt.
Have to admit though that none off the cars are allready in the house as I have no time for moving them or cleaning my garage Undecided

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
2manytoys

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 09:24:31 am »

Boy! am I starting to see the light,..I hope. I usually finish them, but it is taking longer and longer. I really should have a garage sale,...but I am so attached, and it is hard to pass on a good deal.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
2manytoys

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 09:25:59 am »

Unload some of the junk to finance your berg 5 .  Oh, and don't tell my wife about this thread.  She always says that anything on the shelf for more than a year is unneeded and needs to go.

Ain't that the truth.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Russell

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 10:13:03 am »

Zach you can never have too much !

We are only here once.

Best Regards

Russell
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 14:53:55 pm »

Zach you can never have too much !

We are only here once.

Says the guy with the most toys.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 17:43:46 pm »

My dad is on my ass about getting rid of these Fastbacks!! Makes me want to build them even more!! Grin Against my own better judgement, my latest thought is taking the Fastback(s) to the body shop 3 doors down from where I work to have them complete the body and paint. I am friends with the shop owner, so I know I could help out on nights and weekends. And make sure everything is done right Wink Then do all the mechanicals at the VW shop 2 doors down. He is a friend too, he gives me a key to the shop whenever I need it Grin Then I can take care of upholstery and final assembly where I work. Drive it for a little bit, then sell it FOR SURE. For me its more the journey than the destination, you know? I want to build the car just to build it, to make this idea I have into a real living, breathing, driving, cal look VW. Then I would be on to the next project....

I have a sickness... More than a sickness, a disease!!  Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: