The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:45:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Color choices?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Color choices?  (Read 14331 times)
Dick Mitchell

« on: January 10, 2008, 09:32:46 am »

Hey all.  I'm planning on painting my car within the next 6 to 12 months and have a few ideas.  I wanted to get some feed back before I begin to really make plans on this next project.

I painted the car back in 1999.  At the time I was going for a more "resto-custom" look and over the years certain parts have been added or removed to where the car is now.  If not for the two-tone paint, It could be categorized as a modern Cal Look.  (but I really don't care how it's defined, just what looks the best)  Now, Almost everyone I know has been a fan of the colors I originally picked.  British Racing Blue with the tan 2-tone.  But recently I have been seeing and hearing about other local VW's popping up with the same scheme.  Undecided

So, Options are:

1. Simply repaint using existing paint colors

2.  Repaint using a slightly darker shade of Blue and darker shade of Tan.

3.  Solid Chocolate Brown.  (no more 2-tone) Being that this is a Cal-look group, I'm guessing the solid scheme is what's mostly accepted.

Going with route #3 would also include 1952 Deluxe Split window chrome molding with the center rib painted red.  I think that the Brown paint complemented with the red trim line with the Black rim details, Black engine tin and black exhaust should look pretty nice.  What'cha think? 

Any other suggestions would be very much welcomed.

Dick Mitchell

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:40:31 am »

This is my buddies Model T that I was working on earlier this week.  This is the Brown color I had in mind

yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:08 am »

Any colour as long as it's not 2 tone. Smiley
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:58 am »

Dick, I can't see the pictures here at work, but how about just using the single colour blue? Repaint the sides and it will give the car a whole new look. Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:55 am »

1952 Deluxe Split window chrome molding with the center rib painted red.  Any other suggestions would be very much welcomed.

you want to put split windows bumpers on your oval ?? why??
and for me just remove those gravel guards and the front decklid handle shields  Wink just in IMHO  Wink
and for  the color go  in old nuancier old color are more cal look  Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:03:05 am »

I cant see why painting it all in the same shade of blue isn't an option?
To "in your face"?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Dick Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:07:59 am »

1952 Deluxe Split window chrome molding with the center rib painted red.  Any other suggestions would be very much welcomed.

you want to put split windows bumpers on your oval ?? why??)

No, not the bumpers, just the side/hood trim moldings.  I plan on running no bumpers (like Manny Vasquez's Blue Cal-Look) or running the standard "Euro blades" with black bumper brackets.
jick

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:09:16 am »

like the others have said....all blue would look great, or if you want a complete change that brown shade with the detailed trim sounds very cool.

that's a great looking T by the way!

Dick Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:12:15 am »

I cant see why painting it all in the same shade of blue isn't an option?
To "in your face"?

I did some quick photoshop's a few months ago and hated the result.  What makes the current paint "work" is the combination of the two colors.  I think the solid blue looks terrible.  These two colors compliment each other well, but alone look rater boring.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:14:03 am by Dick Mitchell » Logged
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 12:31:58 pm »

I think it would rock in the brown !!! although it seams a choice of many at the moment !
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 17:12:06 pm »

I think your idea would look great. I agree with removing the gravel guards and handle guard. the trim would be a unique touch the brown you showed on the T looks good "warm"   How bout black T bars?   

Here's a few other ideas,   go to www.wolfsburgwest.com and check the color charts....
  '53
     L90 sand colored
     L36 azur
  '54
     L271 texas brown
     L276 ultra maroon
  '55
     L313 reed green
     L370 nile beige
  '56
     L378 prairie beige
  '57  (conv. colors)
     L241 bamboo
     L258 inca red
     L333 pearl blue
     L374 sepia silver
  '58
     L335 capri
   "62
     L478 beryl green

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 17:28:57 pm »

Brown sounds like the trick. I think the deep brown, combined with the red detail work in the molding will give a very very unique and attention-getting, yet subtle touch. Personally, I would go for brown with red accents (keep it subtle!) and detail paint the Fuchs center caps with red as well. Fill horn grilles and lose any of the accessory stuff.

Another color I never see used, and I think would be very fitting and cool on a car like yours.... a goldenrod-ochre yellow. Late 60's Alfa GTV's were available in such a color. A nose down hot rod VW with Fuchs will look good IMO.

I'll see if I can find paint name if you're interested.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 17:36:11 pm »

Richard, the Alfa color code for that Ochre color is AR109

you can see this color on this website: http://www.veloceregister.net/pntcode.htm

Scroll down and look for AR109 on the left, then move cursor over the code.

What do you think?
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 17:57:09 pm »

Maybe i'm getting a bit obsessed with this colour but it's looking a bit like porsche's bahama yellow, no? Grin

Glitter don't make you faster.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 18:01:45 pm »

Maybe i'm getting a bit obsessed with this colour but it's looking a bit like porsche's bahama yellow, no? Grin

I think it's a bit darker....  in person, on a rounded car, it looks freaking awesome.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 18:04:11 pm »

I like the blue, close to a Ford Grabber blue. Here are a couple in Sepia brown and that blue they use on Transporters. (Can't remember the name.) Did these on:

http://www.volkswarenhaus.de/bugselecta.htm

I have to say the Sepia brown would be mighty tasty.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 18:06:03 pm »

bahama gelb

AR109

You're right jim, it's a bit darker. I still love it though!  Grin

Glitter don't make you faster.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 18:07:20 pm »

bahama gelb

AR109

You're right jim, it's a bit darker. I still love it though!  Grin

me too, wish I had another car and a locker full of money to build one that way.  Grin
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 18:22:44 pm »

I hate to join the chorus but I like the blue you have and I just can the tan panels.

If you're going brown I like Porsche Sepia.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Dick Mitchell

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 23:26:04 pm »

you can see this color on this website: http://www.veloceregister.net/pntcode.htm

What do you think?

Hahaha!  Man Jim, I've been considering gold too!  It was the one choice that I didn't mention it in this post.  I purchased a French VW mag a while back that featured a really sweet Oval done gold metallic with detailed Fuch's.  Looked great IMO.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 00:00:36 am »

What do you think?

Hahaha!  Man Jim, I've been considering gold too!  It was the one choice that I didn't mention it in this post.  I purchased a French VW mag a while back that featured a really sweet Oval done gold metallic with detailed Fuch's.  Looked great IMO.

twisted minds think alike.

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 01:32:03 am »

What do you think?

If you are going to do it gold, go Pagan Gold. There is a type 3 in some of the Volksworld adds this color. It is killer.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Neil Davies

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 10:43:17 am »

If you are going to do it gold, go Pagan Gold. There is a type 3 in some of the Volksworld adds this color. It is killer.

--louis

Louis, that T3 Ghia belongs to Jo Gallagher, wife of Joe G on here. I think she's registered on here as Mrs G! If I remember right, Joe's racecar Velocirazor was the parts car for the Pagan Princess. Beautiful car!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 18:03:28 pm »

I've the same dilemna.
I'm building a new cal look car on a 58 sedan.
I will have a red interior. Car is originaly black, and the black and red combo is awesome. But I wonder witch other colors will suits nice with a red interior? Sand beige, Ivory, withe, Brown? It's difficult to choose and don't have regrets after car paint was.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 19:01:23 pm »

I've the same dilemna.
I'm building a new cal look car on a 58 sedan.
I will have a red interior. Car is originaly black, and the black and red combo is awesome. But I wonder witch other colors will suits nice with a red interior? Sand beige, Ivory, withe, Brown? It's difficult to choose and don't have regrets after car paint was.

Red on red maybe? Silver works well too.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Cornpanzer

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 19:30:36 pm »

There are some great colors in the Porsche spectrum from the late 60s.   One of my faves is Aga Blue which is kinda a greyish blue....very muted and easy on teh eyes. Albert blue is another great blue.  Slate grey as used on Steve McQueens 911 in the movie is a great color,  a non-metallic grey.

Blut orange is another.....too many great Porsche colors to list!  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 23:15:41 pm »

How about a '90's Porsche Color? Grin
Roger D

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 23:07:04 pm »

I like the blue all one colour.
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 03:25:23 am »

If you want to pay homage to the pioneers then do as they did: paint the car a color that was really 'hot' when they turned their boring Beetles into fun cars. So think of a color that was the king shit between about 1970 and 1977. You almost can't go wrong with one of those.

The color on your car looks a lot like Grabber Blue. Here's what your car would look like in Grabber. I know because this was my car. And it was off-the-hook, smack-your-momma awesome and a far cry from your Photochop color meld. Photoshop is great but it goes only so far. It does not represent the real world.

If you go a modern color then be SUPER careful. Ratto found the common ground in the P-car color he used (those cars are roundy like a beetle) but there's great peril in modern colors. There are exceptions to the rule but modern colors usually don't look quite right on old cars. 

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Ratto's out of his mind thinking that Ochre is anything cool. It's not. It's lame and awful and all the terrible things everyone will call it and you shouldn't do it because you'll regret it and you'll also be in a club with a (gasp!) Baja. So don't do it. There. I said it. (the color didn't render perfect; it was raining the day we picked up the car--it actually looks even better in person).

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Whatever you do, get rid of the hokey-pokey '80s/'90s resto-cal tchotchka like the rock guards, those three-rib vent grilles, and the two-tone paint. To paraphrase Dean K, I've never seen a rock chip as ugly as a flimsy Johnny's Peel & Fade rock guard. Wink

This is Cal Look. Less is more. Simpler is better.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 05:01:19 am »

People always mistake AssHull's 67 as Grabber Blue, it's BMW Laguna Seca Blue. Annoys the crap out of me Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: