The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:33:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  '75 Original Hot VW Cover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: '75 Original Hot VW Cover  (Read 82527 times)
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2019, 00:09:30 am »

I was just able to visit the Lounge after our return home from the EBI and was thrilled to see all the kind comments and photos of the White Car. A special thanks to Russell, Mike Walraven along with everyone else involved with the putting on the special even (EBI). It was so much fun for me to revisit 44 years of the past. To sit & drive the car with my wife brought back so many fun memories. And to all of you that joined me in the fun and those who couldn't be there but are sharing your interest.....A BIG THANK YOU!!!

Russell...you made it happen..."We All Saw The One" thanks to you.

Jim

Der Kleiner Panzers
Russell

« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2019, 01:27:14 am »

Jim

Thank you too, without you there wouldn't be a one.

To see you and dianne, driving and having fun made it all worth while.

Cheers

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Abadco2

« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2019, 03:16:28 am »

Ditto on the fun had by all. As a joining member, I saw the joy in not only Jim and Diane Holmes, but the hundreds of fans of the Car, as they set their eyes on the mythical “ white car!” Having the experience of attending my first EBI, I picked the right year to attend to be part of the debut and to be there with fellow DKP members as we all shared in the joy at hand, bravo to all that made this happen!
Art A.
RockStock

« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2021, 13:44:20 pm »

Great to read the feature in the Feb 21 VolksWorld issue, and nice to see VolksWorld getting back on track.
In the feature it rolls Flat 4 BRMs. Is it wearing original BRMs yet?
Russell

« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2021, 23:53:36 pm »

Great to read the feature in the Feb 21 VolksWorld issue, and nice to see VolksWorld getting back on track.

RockStock

In the feature (that I haven't seen yet) it is wearing Original BRMS and was wearing Original BRMS at EBI in 2019, why do you think this car would have replicas on it and why do you think they are not original Huh

Cheers Russell

Best Regards

Russell
leec

« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2021, 23:57:03 pm »

Hi Russell,

The Volksworld feature does state the car wears Flat 4 replicas in the pictures

Lee
Russell

« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2021, 23:59:59 pm »

Eh...............

How the fuck did they work that out, the wheels were repolished by Richie King at KK for the feature...

I've also heard that I'm from Edinburgh which is also untrue.... Aberdeen Born and Bred.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Russell

« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2021, 00:01:36 am »

RockStock

In the feature (that I haven't seen yet) it is wearing Original BRMS and was wearing Original BRMS at EBI in 2019, why do you think this car would have replicas on it and why do you think they are not original Huh

RockStock

Sorry for the the Volksworld misprint..... I will have a word  Grin can assure you they are 100% original BRM

Cheers Russell

Best Regards

Russell
RockStock

« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2021, 19:27:40 pm »

Oh, that’s a very big ball dropped by VolksWorld!
It raised an eyebrow when I read it...

I did think you may just have enough originals to find a spare set to go on the car!

Mind you, even more embarrassing to be called an Edinburgher?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 19:39:59 pm by RockStock » Logged
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2021, 19:32:59 pm »

And before anyone says/thinks...although I wrote the feature, I didn't write the captions to the photos. If I had, I'd not have swapped Mark Thurber and Greg 'Youngie' Aronson.  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
RockStock

« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2021, 20:21:31 pm »

Wink

jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2021, 23:45:44 pm »

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Russell and VolksWorld for revisiting the fun times of the past for myself and I'm sure Greg Aronson. It was so kind of Russell to send a couple of the Magazines over the pond for us so we could enjoy going back in time. I say "we" because because Russell sent me two copies so I was able to share one with Greg.  All in all, I'm sure Greg would agree, it's amazing and fun to see that the Cal-Look is still out there and still carries a bit of popularity.

I must say it was the time of my life to enjoy driving the car again with my wife at my side (whom I owned the car while dating) at the EBI!!!!

Thanks to all of you that continue the interest and to Russell for bringing the White Car back for all to enjoy! 

Jim

Der Kleiner Panzers
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2021, 10:07:22 am »

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Russell and VolksWorld for revisiting the fun times of the past for myself and I'm sure Greg Aronson. It was so kind of Russell to send a couple of the Magazines over the pond for us so we could enjoy going back in time. I say "we" because because Russell sent me two copies so I was able to share one with Greg.  All in all, I'm sure Greg would agree, it's amazing and fun to see that the Cal-Look is still out there and still carries a bit of popularity.

I must say it was the time of my life to enjoy driving the car again with my wife at my side (whom I owned the car while dating) at the EBI!!!!

Thanks to all of you that continue the interest and to Russell for bringing the White Car back for all to enjoy! 

Jim
Great to hear from you Jim! Glad you enjoyed the feature. Give my love to Diane and I look forward to catching up again one day soon.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
alex d

« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2022, 10:53:21 am »

I just saw the Grand National Roadster Show pictures, the White Car looked great!!
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2022, 22:08:09 pm »

Yes, the car looked GREAT to me also and again thanks to Russell bringing it back to its original look.  It was a fun day for me seeing all the VWs and some of the guys I haven't seen in awhile.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Neil Davies

« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2022, 23:21:47 pm »

I've just watched the video on the Hot VWs channel on YouTube, literally 15 minutes ago! It was seeing Bill Taormina's replica in Volksworld in early 1996 (I think!) that made me dechrome my bug and paint it bright white, and raise the back end up to stock again. It is the ultimate Cal Looker.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
chris67bug

« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2022, 22:09:02 pm »

Delighted to see the car finished - congrats to all involved.  I'm sure like many others, I first heard about this car in articles in volksworld circa 1993 and also in Keith's book a couple of years later.  The simplicity of design of what volksworld called at the time 'the old school' cal look was highly inspiring and i hoovered up every detail of the old stories of the formation of the first dkp all those years earlier.  The fate of Greg's/ Jim's car was always a mystery and just like the two inch pinchers (well technically one and half if you like), it seemed like the truth would never be revealed.

It is therefore very much a dream come true to finally see this car back in the condition that inspired myself and so many others.  Below is a picture of the '67 I spent some years restoring after being inspired by this car and the others of dkp 1.  Again thanks to all involved in its purchase and restoration.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Regards

Chris
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 22:11:41 pm by chris67bug » Logged

There’s nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines. That’ll give you a set of emotions that’ll stay with you. Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent.

– G.T.O. Two Lane Blacktop
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: