The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 14:01:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  '75 Original Hot VW Cover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: '75 Original Hot VW Cover  (Read 82509 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2008, 17:15:20 pm »

jim did you have another pictures from the car Roll Eyes , here's a picture in the march 83 hot vws ,with cal look story , same place ,but the picture in the magazine was took in little different angle  Roll Eyes

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2008, 17:21:26 pm »

You are correct deano, itīs not even the same seat IMO. Did this car have a back seat? Was that too retrimmed in the fat bisquit pattern?
Where there two of those too since thereīs been two different style front seats?

Yes, there was a back seat and done to match the fronts (bisquit pattern).  As I remember, the back seat stayed with the same pattern and only the fronts changed slightly when installing the fiberglass buckets.

Jim

Der Kleiner Panzers
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2008, 17:26:47 pm »

yes please post more picture jim

I only have a couple more that were taken in the dark (white car against a black background).  They look pretty cool on the prints but hard to reproduce digitally because of the glare.  I'll keep trying, give me a few days.  Might have to do some Photo Shop work to clone out some of the reflections.

Der Kleiner Panzers
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2008, 17:29:15 pm »

and on this one  , there's a stickers but it look like the BRAD UPHOLSTERY sticker not the becker bug house

Good eyes guys!  Yes, at that time it was a Brad Upholstery sticker. Over a course of time, some stickers got moved around a bit. Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2008, 17:35:49 pm »

jim did you have another pictures from the car Roll Eyes , here's a picture in the march 83 hot vws ,with cal look story , same place ,but the picture in the magazine was took in little different angle  Roll Eyes

That's funny!  You guys are very sharp on the details Huh Grin  There were several shots taken at the time at slightly different angles so the print could have been one of those. Again, good eye!

Jim

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2008, 17:43:19 pm »

Wink

deano

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2008, 18:32:21 pm »

Trivia..... The first time I showed my '67 at the Bug-In (#12) in 4/'74, I didn't have my Brad's interior yet. So, thanks to Jake, we traded interiors for the day. I installed his buckets sets into my car, and he drove around with my '67 stockers.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2008, 18:38:36 pm »

those one ,were made by brad Huh

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2008, 19:00:44 pm »

Those are some great photos. I noticed the antenna. Did you have a radio in the glovebox? 8 track player?Just curious. Also were those EMPI seats?

Yes, the tunes were in the glove box & as I remember there was a combo of an 8 track / radio at one time  (again "not to date myself).
The frame of the seats were custom wielded (built) but can't remember where the fiberglass buckets came from.  Greg Aronson might remember, I can ask him the next time I see him...

Jim

jim  here's the pict from the stereo  Grin Grin

Your right Deano about the dash.  The whole dash was replaced after the crash so might look slightly different. Rivets were used in both cases. Some pictures were taken earlier, I believe before the glass buckets were installed and before I owned the car.  The car always had the fiberglass buckets when I had it. The passenger side hinged forward so someone could get into the back, which rarely happened. Smiley

thus the photo with the 2 small gauges and the other seats was the first version and then after the crash the buckets were installed and the dashboard changed and it  have 3 small gauges in the place of the 2 , and consequently for this reason before there was a sticker becker bug house known with  driver side and then it was a brad upholstry in place of old  Cheesy
 jim can you tell us more about the crash if you know the story Roll Eyes  that's greg who  crash the car Huh if I correctly read what it is marked above  Grin
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 19:05:40 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2008, 19:10:55 pm »

another photo of the car found on the web  Wink
and the second was sent by sarge  Cool

deano

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2008, 19:19:50 pm »

those one ,were made by brad Huh

Yes, by the time the feb '75 issue came out, my entire interior (black vinyl with blue velour) was done by Brad, including the trunk. That photo was taken the AutoRama show in late '74.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2008, 20:49:35 pm »

Those are some great photos. I noticed the antenna. Did you have a radio in the glovebox? 8 track player?Just curious. Also were those EMPI seats?

Yes, the tunes were in the glove box & as I remember there was a combo of an 8 track / radio at one time  (again "not to date myself).
The frame of the seats were custom wielded (built) but can't remember where the fiberglass buckets came from.  Greg Aronson might remember, I can ask him the next time I see him...

Jim

Your right Deano about the dash.  The whole dash was replaced after the crash so might look slightly different. Rivets were used in both cases. Some pictures were taken earlier, I believe before the glass buckets were installed and before I owned the car.  The car always had the fiberglass buckets when I had it. The passenger side hinged forward so someone could get into the back, which rarely happened. Smiley

thus the photo with the 2 small gauges and the other seats was the first version and then after the crash the buckets were installed and the dashboard changed and it  have 3 small gauges in the place of the 2 , and consequently for this reason before there was a sticker becker bug house known with  driver side and then it was a brad upholstry in place of old  Cheesy
 jim can you tell us more about the crash if you know the story Roll Eyes  that's greg who  crash the car Huh if I correctly read what it is marked above  Grin

Not much of a story what happened. It was me that owned and crashed the car at the time.  I was going east on Lincoln Blvd around noon time. I think I was coming from FAT Performance.  I was going through the intersection with a green light when some guy in a huge old American car (can't remember the make) pulled out from a gas station (on the other side of the intersection) right in front of me taking up both lanes. He was trying to go left (into my on coming traffic) but the traffic wouldn't let them continue his turn.  He was stuck and so was I.  I could have chosen to go into on coming traffic or jump the curb on the corner and take on the gas station. Neither sounded good to me at the time so I braced myself and "T" Boned the guy. All I know is I was looking at a green light and the next thing I saw was a big ass car taking up both lanes, stopped in front of me.  The next thing, I was sitting on the curb looking at my car saying "Oh Shit"!   Greg Aronson and I lived together at the time in an apartment so he was a great help to me (besides Breckers) in getting it back together, in fine shape I might add... Grin  It probably took 3 months before it was back on the road.
Well that's about it... Hope you get the jest of it all, kind of hard to explain in an e-mail. Huh Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2008, 20:53:05 pm »

Jim

Not much of a story what happened. It was me that owned and crashed the car at the time.  I was going east on Lincoln Blvd around noon time. I think I was coming from FAT Performance.  I was going through the intersection with a green light when some guy in a huge old American car (can't remember the make) pulled out from a gas station (on the other side of the intersection) right in front of me taking up both lanes. He was trying to go left (into my on coming traffic) but the traffic wouldn't let them continue his turn.  He was stuck and so was I.  I could have chosen to go into on coming traffic or jump the curb on the corner and take on the gas station. Neither sounded good to me at the time so I braced myself and "T" Boned the guy. All I know is I was looking at a green light and the next thing I saw was a big ass car taking up both lanes, stopped in front of me.  The next thing, I was sitting on the curb looking at my car saying "Oh Shit"!   Greg Aronson and I lived together at the time in an apartment so he was a great help to me (besides Breckers) in getting it back together, in fine shape I might add... Grin  It probably took 3 months before it was back on the road.
Well that's about it... Hope you get the jest of it all, kind of hard to explain in an e-mail. Huh Grin

Oh, where did you get that picture of the glove box with my stereo?  Funny, seeing that again! Shocked Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2008, 20:55:25 pm »

thx jim for the expalin  Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2008, 20:59:47 pm »

Jim

Oh, where did you get that picture of the glove box with my stereo?  Funny, seeing that again! Shocked Grin
if i remember well it was on the clf nostalgia corner here's the links http://www2.cal-look.com/nostalgia/aronson63.html
rgd
fabs

deano

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2008, 22:51:50 pm »

I took that photo of your glove box in front of Brad's shop on North Grove....

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
deano

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2008, 04:15:41 am »

Here are two night photos of Jim's car. I have no idea where and when these were taken, but I had them in a box full of old photos.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
SlingShot

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2008, 05:18:37 am »

Any pictures of the damage caused by the accident?

Will Race For Beer !!!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2008, 13:14:16 pm »

Here are two night photos of Jim's car. I have no idea where and when these were taken, but I had them in a box full of old photos.
cool one dean and lucas aren't turn signal Huh

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2008, 16:04:56 pm »

Really cool pics  Wink

(I hope there's no problem with me adjusting the colors)

Glitter don't make you faster.
sam P

« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2008, 16:07:20 pm »

Wow! Cool to see all these pics turning up, many of which I've never seen before. Thank you guys for taking the time to search these images in those old boxes and magazines, and trying to find the stories and explanations that go with them in the back of your heads. Great stuff!

jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2008, 17:15:58 pm »

Any pictures of the damage caused by the accident?

No, sorry... Huh

Der Kleiner Panzers
deano

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2008, 17:18:47 pm »

No problem with the color tune up, they now look correct. Those old photos were a bit too redish. I now recall where I took them. That was in the parking lot of Gardner Fulmer (printing), in Fullerton, where Jake and I worked together on the swing shift. Our shift was 3:00-11:00pm, so we often had a lot of time to screw around, like taking night photos in the parking lot (car waxing/detailing, changing plugs), you get the idea. From there, I went to work for Hot VWs, as Jake stayed in lithography to this day.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2008, 17:22:48 pm »

Jim

if i remember well it was on the clf nostalgia corner here's the links http://www2.cal-look.com/nostalgia/aronson63.html
rgd
fabs

Oh yes, I remember seeing it there now....thanks for reminding me.  It's been awhile since I've visited the Cal Look Nostalgia Corner site and fun to visit it again, Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2008, 17:28:12 pm »

No problem with the color tune up, they now look correct. Those old photos were a bit too redish. I now recall where I took them. That was in the parking lot of Gardner Fulmer (printing), in Fullerton, where Jake and I worked together on the swing shift. Our shift was 3:00-11:00pm, so we often had a lot of time to screw around, like taking night photos in the parking lot (car waxing/detailing, changing plugs), you get the idea. From there, I went to work for Hot VWs, as Jake stayed in lithography to this day.

Funny, yes, those were the days Dean, thanks for the memories Grin  Not sure if you heard, I just retired this past June from Quad Graphics.
So far, retirement has been great!

Jake

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2008, 17:48:40 pm »

dean any picture of the dash  by night just to see this one enlightened  Shocked
thx
fabs

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2008, 15:44:58 pm »

I think this is my NEW favourite thread  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Lee.C

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2008, 01:32:45 am »

Just wondering are these - Pirelli Cinturato's  Huh Huh Huh
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:35:27 am by monkiboy » Logged

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2008, 01:40:24 am »

You just missed a pair !
 Shocked

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-PIRELLI-TIRES-GASSER-HOT-RAT-ROD-HEMI-WILLYS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140746QQihZ013QQitemZ230210140185QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Lee.C

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2008, 01:49:06 am »

oh well - but don't worry I have found a place that does VERY good repro's  Wink Smiley

But do you know what its running on the rear Huh you can see the tread quite well in the large front quarter shot

can anyone help Huh Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: