The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 19:44:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  how many in the 12´s built their own motor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: how many in the 12´s built their own motor?  (Read 5455 times)
besserwisser

« on: January 11, 2008, 23:44:35 pm »

I´m just curios as to how many on this forum that have cars running in the 12´s have actually built their own motor.Coming from Sweden a real do it your self country a lot of cars running low numbers are built by owner /driver. Is it the same throughout this forum or is it a typical Swedish phenomena.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 01:38:26 am »

my old 2276 was built in my garage by me. After I robbed the slicks and close 3rd/4th trans from McNulty's '66 it went 12.66.

Tobi/DFL

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 13:41:28 pm »

If that means doing the headjob, machine work AND assembling of the engine to you then I haven´t build my own 12 sec. engine.
But I´ve chosen all the parts that I THOUGHT(!) could work together, measured, blueprinted and assembled everything at home and in my garage. The worst mistake I´ve made back then was trusting the numbers which were engraved on the jets my old used italian IDAs came with. The result were damaged crank bearing surfaces and the bearings itself due to LOTS of fuel in the engine oil while I was running in the cam. After checking the idle jet which said something like "55" it in fact proved to be something like "150"! Shocked
Lesson learned! Since the following rebuild I´ve always measured everything at least twice instead of trusting anything the parts are said to be in spec. Wink
The engine is running in this state of tune for about 3 seasons now and did a best of 12.927 at about 101 mph at DAS Drag Day #5 in my oval but I´m optimistic to get a little deeper in the twelves in the coming season...we will see. Grin
Bye,

Tobi
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 15:27:34 pm »

Aside from the heads, I did the engine in the Chop-Top, running a best of 12.58 on slicks and 12.84 on radials. I also built the motor in my race car, which ran 9.87. There's no substitute for doing it yourself, if you have the facilities available.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Roman

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 15:58:32 pm »

I still don't know how to build a 12 second engine, but does 11's and 10's count?  Grin
In that case I have built it all by my self except the heads.
Petter Carlberg

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 16:18:29 pm »

Coming from Sweden a real do it your self country a lot of cars running low numbers are built by owner /driver. Is it the same throughout this forum or is it a typical Swedish phenomena.

Can´t be easy making a living on building engines for other guys in Sweden then? Smiley

JS

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 19:24:15 pm »

There´s always Norway, Petter...  Grin

Signature.
Roman

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 19:38:33 pm »

Last time I spoke to Besserwisser he was rebuilding an engine that was built by some one who tried to build his engine himself.
It wasn't many miles until it needed a rebuild! All pieces of the engine puzzle has to fit, not just some.  Smiley
besserwisser

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 21:46:48 pm »

Even though I try to make a living building motors and gearboxes I really enjoy talking to people that grab the bull by the horns and build their own motors. One thing has to be made clear,building a HI Po VW-motor is far mor complicated than for instance straight fourcylinder cast iron furnace. Any misstake you make will instantly get your attention at startup. A 200+ VW engineis very unforgiving when you screw up.
Building motors is a life long learning exsperience and you dont start with a 200+race engine. I started in -71 with a souped up 1600 that in those days was a real volvo sport and ford cortina killer. Moved to The States in -76 and built a 1776 for my 65 bus.I have always enjoyed building motors and every startup is unique.Hi Po motor start ups are like becoming a father,you are nervous as hell but you always love the result of your efforts.Keep up the good work out there and hope to see you at Bug In this summer.
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 17:46:13 pm »

We have a Swedish common practice among the active people in to dragraciing and that has spilled over to to the V-dub community as well. We are as a group looking down on peolple who don't build there own motors....it is ok to buy a gearbox but not the motor, mind you.......but if you are in to rallye, rallye-cross or formula cars you are allowed to buy your motor. On the positive side we have a few fast cars and a lot of not so fast cars that are strugeling down the dragstrip due to the fact that most people who build motors for them self don't have the knowledge needed. So on tha down side is the fact that we don't reach the real top knowledge that comes from building loads of motors and being in to the high end of devoloment.

Just my rambling on a very interesting subject.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 12:45:30 pm »

Builded my own too that ran 12.89,was a 1914 all out drag engine with slicks and close ratio Rhinocase Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
nicolas

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 15:00:06 pm »

Hi Po motor start ups are like becoming a father,you are nervous as hell but you always love the result of your efforts.

very true, but i am glad that it doesn't feel like becoming a MOTHER, squeezing out all those parts...  Undecided
alex d

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 16:06:20 pm »

Hi Po motor start ups are like becoming a father,you are nervous as hell but you always love the result of your efforts.

very true, but i am glad that it doesn't feel like becoming a MOTHER, squeezing out all those parts...  Undecided

LOL  Cheesy
Casey

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 21:15:52 pm »

We shall see?!

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 21:53:33 pm »

I think the bit about fathering a motor upon fire up is pretty cool, and accurate. I remember the first one I built, when it finally was done, and in the car and it barked and burped and coughed to life MAN I literally jumped for joy. Now, about 20 years later, it's still exciting, and a bit of a nail-biter. I think it's cool getting used to all the "new" sounds a new motor makes. Is that a tick? Is that a knock? Is that.....? I remember firing up my latest 2165 and how rowdy it sounded, all throaty and nasty through the carbs. Bassy exhaust beat. Old motor was all zinging cam gears and clacky clicky rockers. This one rattles the china in the house.  Grin

Ok for those that think they can't do it, if you are patient, and look over all the pieces and parts and check everything....you can. Might need a few special tools here and there, but aside from that, it's mainly taking your time and keeping things clean, and not forcing anything.

Have fun

Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 13:20:45 pm »

I've built a couple with my Dad, but for my next re-build I'm going to entrust it to a professional. I've nuked a 2180 and a 2276 that we built, and I'm a bit paranoid that it's something we did or didn't do that caused it, although for the second one I suspect a piston break up. So I know I can build a 12 second motor, but I like them to last a bit longer than that... Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: